Tyron gone for 6.5mil? Something has changed

Chasing6

Reaction score
Maybe, but they probably can trade back a little and get him or they can draft the Georgia or Wisconsin center in the 3rd round.
I think it is Barton he can play all 5 spots if needed but will be a great C or Guard.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If we would have signed him, the take would be they are stupid and he always gets hurt.
From some.
Some thought we could sign Tyron as a backup.
Some people are just delusional about Tyron.

I wouldn't have matched the Jets contract. Time to move one. We should get a top comp pick out of Tyron. His last gift to the team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
From some.
Some thought we could sign Tyron as a backup.
Some people are just delusional about Tyron.

I wouldn't have matched the Jets contract. Time to move one. We should get a top comp pick out of Tyron. His last gift to the team.
It would most likely be a 6th, which is basically an early 7th round pick.

I am not sure why Jerry is so fascinated by all these late 6th and 7th round picks.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The only thing that changed is that they drafted his replacement and like what they saw out of a rookie OT and rookie LG. The Cowboys moved on from an aging player whose injury issues are only going to get worse because they had been preparing for this moment.

I think we have a tendency to make more of these things than what they are ... business as usual under the philosophy that the Joneses adopted more than 10 years ago. It was never going to be about how big the offer for Tyron was going to be. The Cowboys didn't even make an offer because they were prepared to move on with cheaper, healthier players.
I didn't know about the 13.5mil incentives in the Jets contract when I first posted. I would have moved on too, especially having Tyler ready to fill right in.
Still, that leaves 2 holes on the oline, and that's 2 holes right next to each other. Our backups weren't a disaster, but they're a long way from guys I'd want starting.
We're thin on the oline. Not the kind of thing you do if you're planning to invest a ton in QB.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I am not sure why Jerry is so fascinated by all these late 6th and 7th round picks.
A 6th? For a contract that will end up in the mid teens? I don't think so. Should be a 3rd or 4th.

rambo2

Reaction score

They use them to trade for players.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Is it possible that the FO came to grips with the fact they're not winning as much as they'd like to and feel it's time to get more bang for their $$? Let's not doubt the idea that promising OTs are plentiful in this year's draft and there may be a plan to get a good one early-on. It's quite possible.

Last edited:

plymkr

Reaction score
Is La’el Collins still on the team? What’s his contract status. I remember him being signed at the end of the year for the playoffs but did that signing continue on to this year?

Could be play T, he’d be better than Edoga maybe, or could he play guard if we move Tyler outside?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I hope Jerry waits until teams have to cut down to the 53-man list. We can find some scabs to put on the line. If the scab gets hurt or isn't good we can find another scab. Pay them 50k with a cut clause in it. You suck your cut, next scab up. Can Greg get this to Jerry since he used to be part of the owner's staff? Go gregg....

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
A 6th? For a contract that will end up in the mid teens? I don't think so. Should be a 3rd or 4th.
He’s a 10 year vet it’s capped out as a 5th ;

“Players who have ten or more accrued seasons may only yield a maximum of a 5th round compensatory pick, even if their actual value would otherwise be assigned higher.”

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Tyron made 2nd Team All Pro and went to the Jets for a 1year 6.5mil contract.

He only missed one game in the 2nd half of the season, and played the last 3 games. He's not injured and is playing great.

We've spent almost that much for backup swing Ts in the past. As a percentage of cap, we might have spent more.

We stuck with Tyron coming off inferior play and more injuries for much more money than 6.5mil.

Something has changed. I would have expected them to jump at that price.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/tyron-smith-7724/
Read the fine print.
13.5M in incentives.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
And if he hit the incentives for $20m (he won’t) then it would be way past worth the money because it means he was always on the field and likely had an amazing year
Impossible to judge until we know the incentives. If it is 500K per game and then escalates at say 10 games, it might not be worth it.
If it is nothing per game and all based on high games (13+) played it would very much be worth it.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Impossible to judge until we know the incentives. If it is 500K per game and then escalates at say 10 games, it might not be worth it.
If it is nothing per game and all based on high games (13+) played it would very much be worth it.
If he is playing every game even at 500k let’s say, that means you are going all pro caliber left tackle play. How wouldn’t that be worth it? He’s not being played based on performance, he’s being let go because of health and the front office screaming broke.

shabazz

Reaction score
I just don't get what's going on what's the real reasoning
The Jones boys FINALLY have a football man as a consultant.

He is unnamed and unfaced but he's there.

The humiliation by the Packers was the last straw.

Better days ahead......now thats some positivity for yall's butts

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I didn't know about the 13.5mil incentives in the Jets contract when I first posted. I would have moved on too, especially having Tyler ready to fill right in.
Still, that leaves 2 holes on the oline, and that's 2 holes right next to each other. Our backups weren't a disaster, but they're a long way from guys I'd want starting.
We're thin on the oline. Not the kind of thing you do if you're planning to invest a ton in QB.
I really think we're counting on the combination of Tyler, Bass and Richards to handle that left side, so we've only got center to go, although depth would definitely be an issue although whichever one of those lost the starting battle would be the top backup.

I also think with center being a strength of this draft class that we'll try to fill it in the draft. Maybe Connor Williams would be considered an alternative if we miss, since he may not sign with anyone until he heals up more.

Not saying it's a good plan, but I think it's what we've got.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Maybe they have learned from their mistakes. Let their free agents test the market, then match, beat it or let them walk.

Before we were most likely over paying everyone. Now we will know their true market, but will risks losing some players this way.

I think GM Jeruh thought/hoped Tyron would give us the option to match or beat it and he did not. Stephen pissed him off. Why was GM Jeruh not in the meeting to begin with?
I don't think it's that. I think this is similar to what they've been doing for years. They let DeMarco Murray walk after a banner year because they didn't think his cost in free agency was worth his value. They let Byron Jones walk after a strong year because they felt they had cheaper replacements already on the roster. Those are two examples that come to mind but there are others.

I don't think we had any plan to match what Tyron got because of his injury history and having drafted his replacement. We knew this day was coming. However, if Bass had not looked good in relieve, I'm not sure we would have done it because it would have made finding a starting guard a priority. Bass, and even Richards, allow the team to feel OK about moving on.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Maybe, but they probably can trade back a little and get him or they can draft the Georgia or Wisconsin center in the 3rd round.
They might can, but it seems like when we identify a player that we want, we just take him instead of risking losing him. I'm sure fans thought we could just trade back for Tyler and Mazi, too.

If we get a stopgap center, I think we might wait until later to draft one. If not, I think we'll be saying that we have confidence in Hoffman while eyeing one of the centers in the first round. I really think, though, that Barton best fits our MO of taking college tackles to play any line position.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tyron made 2nd Team All Pro and went to the Jets for a 1year 6.5mil contract.

He only missed one game in the 2nd half of the season, and played the last 3 games. He's not injured and is playing great.

We've spent almost that much for backup swing Ts in the past. As a percentage of cap, we might have spent more.

We stuck with Tyron coming off inferior play and more injuries for much more money than 6.5mil.

Something has changed. I would have expected them to jump at that price.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/tyron-smith-7724/
1 year's 20M contract with 6.5M guaranteed...

Has not played more than 13 games in a season since 2015.

Past 4 seasons: