Tyron Smith has missed 3 games in the each of the last 2 seasons

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would move him now while you still can get legitimate value for him.
Please people. Let's try to keep these off season ideas with some grasp of reality. Tyron shouldn't and won't be on the trading block. No reason to create a whole in the roster that will need filled by a very high draft pick. There are other more pressing needs that need addressed. Sign a vet swing tackle and lets get on with making the team better.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I got an idea.

How about we keep the all pro left tackle and just draft some quality depth behind him, so if he does miss a couple games, the offense can still function.

The talk of getting rid of Tyron is premature.

There is also 0% chance of it happening this off season. So it’s pointless to consider.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I think they should give 27 year old Tyron Smith the Old Yeller treatment and be done with it.

That made me laugh. Man if Ty is done this team is going to sink, let’s hope he gets better sheesh..

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
$18.38 million in dead cap is going to make getting rid of Tyron a bad idea right now.
Dead money has 0 impact on whether or not to cut a player.....the only thing that matters is n future salaries.......Dead money is just the receipt for past cap savings..... it doesn't change whether a player plays or get cut

If they had to cut TSmith today they would save 10m on the cap this year and 5m next year

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Please people. Let's try to keep these off season ideas with some grasp of reality. Tyron shouldn't and won't be on the trading block. No reason to create a whole in the roster that will need filled by a very high draft pick. There are other more pressing needs that need addressed. Sign a vet swing tackle and lets get on with making the team better.

Let's maintain the status quo. It's been working so well for us.

When should a player be on the trade block?

exciter

Reaction score
The Eagles cratered under Kelly getting rid of nearly every player of value and just two years later are in the Super Bowl... It's called rebuilding.
Exactly what players would that be. Johnson, Ertz, Curry, Cox, Graham, Kendricks, the 2 safetys, Kelce, Peters, Bradham are all still there. They added Wentz, Brooks, Ajayi, Jeffrey and Jernigan. They traded a qb to a desperate team.

fansince68

Reaction score
I think he should have surgery. Back surgery has come a long way, I've had two. C5&6 L4&5 and although I'm not a professional athlete I was able to lift weights play softball, shoot hoops and Bowl. And both of my surgeries were in the 80s, technology has come a long way since then.

I am happy for your wonderful recovery. Guessing you've had ACDF..anterior cervical, disk, fusion. And a lumbar fusion or TLIF. Tyr on is close to 300 lB's. It's gonna be harder for him to spring back. The bad thing is. He will never be the same if he doesn't have surgery. and he probably won't ever be the same if he gets the surgery. Tyron is now on the down slope.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I really like him no question> back to TSmith. Here's where Im at with Smith. The team has staff doctors
that are highly regarded. The staff follows their advice. SJones has stated that the team feels good about Smith availability
next season. They haven't turned their back to their health and physical therapy staff. They have repeatedly shown they
listen to they expert advice. I go with that. I do see more missed games in TSmith future.
Get good back ups and move forward
well then...we had better have a better plan than Chaz Green,because I guarantee you come opening day ..Tyron will be listed as Questionable. You watch,that back or a gimpy knee will get him in camp. My fear is Dak will be in the same boat in the passing game once again..chuck and duck and laying on his back. Hope they address the left tackle,left guard spots in the draft.

waving monkey

Reaction score
well then...we had better have a better plan than Chaz Green,because I guarantee you come opening day ..Tyron will be listed as Questionable. You watch,that back or a gimpy knee will get him in camp. My fear is Dak will be in the same boat in the passing game once again..chuck and duck and laying on his back. Hope they address the left tackle,left guard spots in the draft.
no question, both positions have to be answered. there could be as many as three new offensive lineman brought in.
Between free agency and the draft.Now I dont think 3 really but 2 is a no brainer.

Staubacher

Reaction score
The Eagles cratered under Kelly getting rid of nearly every player of value and just two years later are in the Super Bowl... It's called rebuilding.
It's called a coach you can do that with. This team falls apart whenever one star player is out.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If this happens it will be 3 years in a row he has missed games.

Sean Lee stats.........how many years in a row he's missed games. Interesting .........
Career Stats
Year
Tackles Sacks Interceptions Fumb Misc KO Ret Punt Ret
Year Team G Solo Ast Total Sack Yds Yd/Sk Int Yds IntTD Rec TD Frcd Pass D Sfty Yds TD Yds TD
2010 DAL 14 27 5 32 0.0 0 .0 2 44 1 0 0 1 2 0 0 0 0 0
2011 DAL 15 71 34 105 0.0 0 .0 4 87 0 2 0 0 7 0 0 0 0 0
2012 DAL 6 36 21 57 0.0 0 .0 1 0 0 0 0 1 3 0 0 0 0 0
2013 DAL 11 68 31 99 0.0 0 .0 4 174 1 1 0 0 6 0 0 0 0 0
2015 DAL 14 76 52 128 2.5 16 6.4 1 0 0 0 0 0 5 0 0 0 0 0
2016 DAL 15 92 53 145 0.0 0 .0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
2017 DAL 11 70 31 101 0.0 0 .0 1 9 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

:clap::clap::clap:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Dead money has 0 impact on whether or not to cut a player.....the only thing that matters is n future salaries.......Dead money is just the receipt for past cap savings..... it doesn't change whether a player plays or get cut

If they had to cut TSmith today they would save 10m on the cap this year and 5m next year
I understand dead money. I am not accelerating all of Tyron’s dead money or even making him a June 1 cut to spread it over 2 years because he has missed 3 games in each of the past 2 seasons just to get rid of one of the best players at his postion.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What? Its called the Eagles have a GM now who knows what he is doing. Chip Kelly was a personnel moron. He had NOTHING to do with the Eagles current success.

The moral of the story is that getting to a super bowl doesn't have to be a 7+ process if you know what your doing.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Let’s see what the Cowboys do.

If they ignore Tackle in the draft and FA then there is no hope for this front office if they try to sell us the dumpster dive move.
There is next to nothing in free agency. It will have to come via the draft.

But it will be more the brilliant strategy of finger crossing every week hoping his back suddenly doesn't seize up since he is not having surgery.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Mickey is right about Tyron at RT. Thats his future position. The OP is spot on. All the fairy dust in the world is not gonna suddenly allow Tyron to play a full season.Either trade him or slide him over to RT. Otherwise we are setting the team up for another failure.
What is sliding him over to RT going to accomplish?

Good teams have good pass rushers from that side too. And if one of the highest paid players you have needs TE help, you are doing it wrong.