Tyron Smith has missed 3 games in the each of the last 2 seasons

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
On the left side you are going against an elite pass rusher constantly,as opposed to the right side where you simply need to hold your own. If a person has ever played the game they would know this. Its typical to put your most fleet of foot/athletic guy on the left side to pass block.
This is not necessarily true.

La'El Collins faced Von Miller, Brandon Graham, Jason Pierre-Paul, Ryan Kerrigan, Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack this past season alone.

Just flipping him to RT is not going to address the problem completely.

Rayman70

Reaction score
This is not necessarily true.

La'El Collins faced Von Miller, Brandon Graham, Jason Pierre-Paul, Ryan Kerrigan, Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack this past season alone.

Just flipping him to RT is not going to address the problem completely.
no not completely...but its better than eating the cap money if you trade or cut him. BTW...we could then fill another need and move Collins back to left guard...So we would essentially solve 2 issues by making that 1 move. Of course we would need to hit a homerun in FA and get a LT or draft one.

Alexander

Reaction score
My hope is that Ty Smith get fixed this offseason. I love this guy and what he has meant to this team. He’s still only 27 years old! But I also believe this team may have to consider drafting a LT that can either be an upgrade as a backup LT or has the ability to eventually replace Smith. Hopefully, #77 gets fixed this offseason!

It was pretty disappointing to hear from Jones that Smith was not having any surgery.

I won't pretend to know the severity of his back issues, but when you basically have to rest your player through practices and just hope he makes it through sixteen games, something is probably wrong with him structurally. We have been burned by back issues with Haley, Aikman and Novacek in the past where hope just was not good enough. And the glory is that Smith's contract is mortgaged with significant dead money hits through 2020. The guaranteed money is over $12M through 2023.

Alexander

Reaction score
Of course we would need to hit a homerun in FA and get a LT or draft one.
Hit what home run in free agency? Nate Solder? Because that is the closest you are going to get for a reasonably talented player in that group.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It was pretty disappointing to hear from Jones that Smith was not having any surgery.

I won't pretend to know the severity of his back issues, but when you basically have to rest your player through practices and just hope he makes it through sixteen games, something is probably wrong with him structurally. We have been burned by back issues with Haley, Aikman and Novacek in the past where hope just was not good enough. And the glory is that Smith's contract is mortgaged with significant dead money hits through 2020. The guaranteed money is over $12M through 2023.
to your point...it looks like his contract might hold the team hostage at left tackle for at least another year. Lets pray he stays healthy,otherwise we may have issues.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Hit what home run in free agency? Nate Solder? Because that is the closest you are going to get for a reasonably talented player in that group.
Why not? Has he not been good and durable? The only thing would be the cost...so I hope we draft a LT and groom him to be the swing tackle at first with the idea of the guy being the eventual starter should Tyron fail us again.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Solder is better at this moment. The cost is the bugaboo.

Solder is going to get a hefty contract. Quality LT’s are not cheap unless you get them on a rookie contract.

The answer of depth behind Tyron has to come from the draft. It isn’t going to come through free agency.

Alexander

Reaction score
Solder is better at this moment. The cost is the bugaboo.
He will be the only quality starting LT available in free agency and he will get a fat contract.

The cost is not a "bugaboo", it is an outright disqualifier.

Not only could Dallas not compete with other teams, they just won't bother.

Alexander

Reaction score
The answer of depth behind Tyron has to come from the draft. It isn’t going to come through free agency.

This OT draft class is a bit thin as well. Interior help in the draft is far superior to the tackle group.

That stated, getting the swing tackle position (and LG) addressed is going to be tough.

Ideally, you want another Collins. Someone who could play LG, then flip if and when Smith is going to miss time.

Isaiah Wynn would do the trick.

I still don't understand the team's reluctance to depend on Zack Martin to take reps at his old college position.

We saw the same thing when they went "guard only" with Collins until Green fizzling in camp forced their hand.

fansince68

Reaction score
lol...JJ Watt is the guy I wanted when we drafted Tyron. I still have no complaints about the Tyron pick. It's crazy talk wanting to get rid of him. This offense fails badly when he is not playing.

When Tyron is injured and trying to tough it out, this offense fails badly. Additionally you get the false starts and holding penalties when Tyron is hurting .

HungryLion

Reaction score
This OT draft class is a bit thin as well. Interior help in the draft is far superior to the tackle group.

That stated, getting the swing tackle position (and LG) addressed is going to be tough.

Ideally, you want another Collins. Someone who could play LG, then flip if and when Smith is going to miss time.

Isaiah Wynn would do the trick.

I still don't understand the team's reluctance to depend on Zack Martin to take reps at his old college position.

We saw the same thing when they went "guard only" with Collins until Green fizzling in camp forced their hand.

It’s because our coaches stink.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Yeah Tyron is almost done. He's got 3 more years in the league at best but we have no choice, might as well roll him out there for 12 games a season. Bring in Paul Alexander's guy Andre Smith as a veteran backup

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Sean Lee had chronic knee issues going back to Penn State, which is why he fell to the 2nd round.

DLaw had "chronic health issues" prior to this year and he seems to have done OK this season.

Sean Lee has had issues with different knees through out his career. Nothing I would consider "chronic"

Lawrence had a back issue that has bothered him since it cropped up.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But people continue to think that he is going to somehow magically become healthier as he gets older.

I would move him now while you still can get legitimate value for him. Otherwise, he will just be yet another excuse as to why we missed the playoffs when he misses another 3+ games next year, which is exactly what you have to count on now.

How many games did Romo miss? But yet they held on to him until Dak.
Let's get rid of every player than misses on average 3 games per year.
Sean lee would be one to go for sure.