Tyron Smith has missed 3 games in the each of the last 2 seasons

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I wouldn't give up on him because of his age. Still young. I would draft a another Tackle to fit right in if/when he sits out another 3 games. Forget the Byron Bells of the world. He was a desperation pick when Free retired. Trying Chaz Green at LG was just dumb. If the coaches had any confidence in Green they should have left him at tackle and played him on the right side. I'm thinking there is a reason that Pollack isn't here anymore.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
lol...JJ Watt is the guy I wanted when we drafted Tyron. I still have no complaints about the Tyron pick. It's crazy talk wanting to get rid of him. This offense fails badly when he is not playing.

I know right. That would be one bad back in exchange for one that's even worse. It was a bit of a sarcastic comment :muttley:

Rayman70

Reaction score
What is sliding him over to RT going to accomplish?

Good teams have good pass rushers from that side too. And if one of the highest paid players you have needs TE help, you are doing it wrong.
He wont be protecting the blindside A.)...THEN B.)...it will prolong his effectiveness and career. Less is expected over at RT. Hope my explanation helps. There is a vast difference between LT and RT. Night and Day.

Rayman70

Reaction score
lol...JJ Watt is the guy I wanted when we drafted Tyron. I still have no complaints about the Tyron pick. It's crazy talk wanting to get rid of him. This offense fails badly when he is not playing.
like Tyron,he's been hurt a ton...and has nothing to show for it. So to me both picks are apples to apples. Thats a good comp.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Mickey is right about Tyron at RT. Thats his future position. The OP is spot on. All the fairy dust in the world is not gonna suddenly allow Tyron to play a full season.Either trade him or slide him over to RT. Otherwise we are setting the team up for another failure.
What’s the difference between him being lt or rt health wise? :huh:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The dilemma with Tyron Smith and any “star” player on an NFL roster- if they are no longer physically reliable, their value drops significantly.

Tyron Smith in 2014 was probably the BEST player we had on the roster. I certainly thought so. The dude has unbelievable talent. But by 2017, his back injury has reduced his once dominant talent dramatically, and it has led to other injuries probably due to trying to protect his back. Sadly, he has become unreliable because of these chronic problems.

My hope is that Ty Smith get fixed this offseason. I love this guy and what he has meant to this team. He’s still only 27 years old! But I also believe this team may have to consider drafting a LT that can either be an upgrade as a backup LT or has the ability to eventually replace Smith. Hopefully, #77 gets fixed this offseason!

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
What is sliding him over to RT going to accomplish?

Good teams have good pass rushers from that side too. And if one of the highest paid players you have needs TE help, you are doing it wrong.

Then we definitely did it wrong in 2017 by not having a solid LT when Tyron went down. We tried to help Chazmeister and Bell on the left side. Damn, how many blocking TE's do we need. lol

Rayman70

Reaction score
What’s the difference between him being lt or rt health wise? :huh:
On the left side you are going against an elite pass rusher constantly,as opposed to the right side where you simply need to hold your own. If a person has ever played the game they would know this. Its typical to put your most fleet of foot/athletic guy on the left side to pass block. Its the most critical position/job on offense,other than QB. Tyron when healthy is still that guy...but problem is..HE ISNT HEALTHY. Time to get a swing tackle or a new starter.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The dilemma with Tyron Smith and any “star” player on an NFL roster- if they are no longer physically reliable, their value drops significantly.

Tyron Smith in 2014 was probably the BEST player we had on the roster. I certainly thought so. The dude has unbelievable talent. But by 2017, his back injury has reduced his once dominant talent dramatically, and it has led to other injuries probably due to trying to protect his back. Sadly, he has become unreliable because of these chronic problems.

My hope is that Ty Smith get fixed this offseason. I love this guy and what he has meant to this team. He’s still only 27 years old! But I also believe this team may have to consider drafting a LT that can either be an upgrade as a backup LT or has the ability to eventually replace Smith. Hopefully, #77 gets fixed this offseason!
voice of reason! Good post

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
On the left side you are going against an elite pass rusher constantly,as opposed to the right side where you simply need to hold your own. If a person has ever played the game they would know this. Its typical to put your most fleet of foot/athletic guy on the left side to pass block. Its the most critical position/job on offense,other than QB. Tyron when healthy is still that guy...but problem is..HE ISNT HEALTHY. Time to get a swing tackle or a new starter.
:hammer:

Rayman70

Reaction score
Then we definitely did it wrong in 2017 by not having a solid LT when Tyron went down. We tried to help Chazmeister and Bell on the left side. Damn, how many blocking TE's do we need. lol
another great post..good job. Wish more would open their eyes. The truth hurts I guess.

tm1119

Reaction score
Smith had a knee injury in 2017, it’s the NFL that’s going to happen to pretty much everyone at some point....did he even miss games because of his back??

And the idea of trading Tyron and his contract now is honestly laughable. You don’t really understand the NFL if you think there’s even a minute chance of Tyron Smith being traded

Rayman70

Reaction score
Smith had a knee injury in 2017, it’s the NFL that’s going to happen to pretty much everyone at some point....did he even miss games because of his back??

And the idea of trading Tyron and his contract now is honestly laughable. You don’t really understand the NFL if you think there’s even a minute chance of Tyron Smith being traded
Good point...but fact is,we need to have a solid plan that doesnt involve CHAZ GREEN.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I don’t see his injury issue being resolved by a move to RT. We’ll agree to disagree

tm1119

Reaction score
Good point...but fact is,we need to have a solid plan that doesnt involve CHAZ GREEN.

100% agree, getting more/better depth on the o line is very important this offseason. But people are just going to extremes (as usual) with the o line being in shambles when it’s not

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm keeping him until his contract is at least up, unless he misses a lot of games this next season.
He's THAT good. It may be a hard pill to swallow for some fans, but if you get right down to the X's and O's he been the best or has been one of the best linemen. It's one of the hardest positions to fill beside QB and DE. So to be a banged up Smith is still better than most LTs.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
100% agree, getting more/better depth on the o line is very important this offseason. But people are just going to extremes (as usual) with the o line being in shambles when it’s not
We need a G