Twitter: Tyron Smith might be done for the season

ItzKelz

Reaction score
200.gif

Creeper

Reaction score

I said this as the one guy they should not restructure, but the restructure wasn't that bad. If he retires after this year, or they cut him/trade him it will put about $9 million dead money on against their cap. They are $25 million under the cap now which I assume will be credited to their 2021 cap if they don't use it before the season is over, so losing Smith would be manageable. They have $13 million dead cap money this year that rolls off next year. That helps too. This is another reason they needed to get a deal done with Dak. It would be nice to know what his contract is going to do to the CAP the next 3 or 4 years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s always tough when you can’t tell the future in advance.

Smith was hurting plenty before that recent restructure. They didn't have to 'see the future' but 'learn from the past'.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
May not be a popular opinion, but Smith, LVE, and Lee; would be elsewhere next year. Ja Smith, and a few more would be coming off the bench. Zeke, is one of my favorite players, but he does not fit the scheme. I don't know if Pollard is tough enough.

Creeper

Reaction score
Who didn't see this coming? Wishful thinking is not a good substitute for risk management. Tyrone has been a risk for a couple of years. He's been injured and he played but you could see the injuries piling up. He has been a one injury away from missing significant time for a while. Now we have to think he is at risk of ending his career.

Maybe the timing is just right. The Cowboys are 1-3 and look pretty bad. maybe losing Tyron for the season and Collins too, will mean a very high draft pick and a shot at a new franchise LT. Of course last year would have been better because there were 5 or 6 LTs in the draft class, and 2021 is going to be a tough year to evaluate college players. Even if the Cowboys wind up drafting in the top 5, how do they know which LT coming out of college is the right one?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Its crazy how we went from position of strength and locking all the linemen up to long contracts and bam. Fredrick gets a very weird injury and retires. Bam Smith having neck and back issues. Collins sign's a long term contract and then gets injured and doesn't even play a down this season out for the season most likely.

Only man left is Martin.
What was once a dominate O-line is a position of weakness now.

Yep, hard to believe how quickly these things change. I thought we would have a couple more years of a pretty stout oline.

KeepinTime

Reaction score
I hate to admit it but I honestly couldn’t care less if they tank this season. I mean even more than they have been.

Creeper

Reaction score
May not be a popular opinion, but Smith, LVE, and Lee; would be elsewhere next year. Ja Smith, and a few more would be coming off the bench. Zeke, is one of my favorite players, but he does not fit the scheme. I don't know if Pollard is tough enough.

I think Lee is going to retire after this year anyway. Heck he may retire before this season is over. We'll have to see about Tryon's neck. Remember, Michael Irvin and Moose Johnston both retired because of neck problems. Tyron may have to retire too.

It's too early to give up on LVE. He broke a bone which is different than structural issues in the spinal column. I would see how he recovers and if he stays healthy for the remainder of the year. The doctors say his neck is fine so I will take their word for it. I doubt they would let him play if there was a chronic condition there. Again, look at Michael Irvin.

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
Shutting him down might be the best thing for him. We aren't winning anything this year with this dumpster fire defense. Having a few months off to rehab and get his body right would help him. If he does that and comes back with more injuries, its probably time to hang up the cleats.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not sure if it's been said at all in this thread, but we DO have a LG that's been pretty average that was a stud LT in college.

Maybe, just MAYBE...that's his position of comfort.

Do we not at least not find out???

fivetwos

Reaction score
Who didn't see this coming? Wishful thinking is not a good substitute for risk management. Tyrone has been a risk for a couple of years. He's been injured and he played but you could see the injuries piling up. He has been a one injury away from missing significant time for a while. Now we have to think he is at risk of ending his career.

Maybe the timing is just right. The Cowboys are 1-3 and look pretty bad. maybe losing Tyron for the season and Collins too, will mean a very high draft pick and a shot at a new franchise LT. Of course last year would have been better because there were 5 or 6 LTs in the draft class, and 2021 is going to be a tough year to evaluate college players. Even if the Cowboys wind up drafting in the top 5, how do they know which LT coming out of college is the right one?
Started a thread about ten months ago speculating if his replacement may be Collins or not, or whatever....and got purely BLASTED for it.

Telling me how many pro bowls he has played in and he isnt close to done.

Some of you need to turn in your genie licenses....or shut your traps in a certain manner.

Creeper

Reaction score
Not sure if it's been said at all in this thread, but we DO have a LG that's been pretty average that was a stud LT in college.

Maybe, just MAYBE...that's his position of comfort.

Do we not at least not find out???

They may not have any choice soon. But who plays LG? Don't say McGovern because we have not seen him play a down yet. Maybe he is really terrible.