News: Tyron Smith not considering retiring wants to return to the Cowboys

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
After thinking about it, I'm going to be surprised if we bring him back. We drafted his replacement a couple years back (even though we've played him at guard) and we've got a couple of young players on that side of the line (Bass and Richards) who showed promise. I think Tyron will get the Ware treatment this year. He'll be allowed to go elsewhere because of his injury issues.

Now, I'd love to have him back because he's been a great player when he's healthy and I'd rather keep Tyler at guard, but I just think they will move on with his successor on the roster and a few decent-looking options for that left side.

J12B

Reaction score
Cleared all their debt?
That sounds like it would be a violation of league rules since it has to do with money and a way for teams to go around the cap.

I was thinking he may have had a family member with a serious health condition and Jerry connected him and his family with a doctor at the top of the field.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think he has 2 years left in him. Just baby him in practices and maybe he misses 3 games. Get Asim Richards ready to be his backup. This would save the Cowboys a high draft pick which they would otherwise need to use on OT.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Team friendly deal, I hope.
Any deal will be somewhat tram friendly because they just ate past void years and can start fresh with more.
You give him 12M SB and a 4 year deal where 2 are void and you are signing him for ~4M cap hit next year.

12M SB
year 1 vet min
year 2 9M GTD roster bonus, 6M GTD base --(can be converted to bonus)
year 3 void
year 4 void

2-year 27M fully GTD.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
He'll be back, guaranteed. He is super tight with Jerry & Stephen.

khiladi

Reaction score
Smith famously signed a below-market deal and never had it renegotiated or extended because he was so thankful that the Cowboys and the Jones family helped him through difficult times for his own family.

And here we have Dak talking about “respect”, for accomplishing nothing…. Sucked when Zeke was suspended, failed in the “Dak friendly” offense, got him Cooper, not let Dak face any competition in practice and Jerry let him play in meaningless games for more and more practice…

Aven8

Reaction score
The article alludes to why Tyron took such a team friendly deal 8 years ago.

Does anyone know how Jerry helped him and his family out?
His family tried to take all his money. They owned a cleaning company when he was growing up. They would always try to take more and more money from him and he had to cut them out of his life.

khiladi

Reaction score
Kept his family away from his money. Was a huge problem when he was first drafted. Not his immediate family but mom, dad, brothers, sisters, cousins. Everyone comes out of the woodwork when you hit the lottery! Jerry and team put controls in place to protect him.
Apparently much more problematic than we know…

More via La Canfora: "Jones has become a father figure to Smith and has helped him navigate through some tumultuous and dangerous family issues, sources said. Some of it has reached the media but the Cowboys and Jones have worked very hard to keep much of it private. Smith has been preyed on, financially and otherwise, by close family members, has been the victim of menacing threats and Jones has been integral in helping him wade through it and stay on an even keel.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-lt-tyron-smith-agree-to-8-year-98m-extension/amp/

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Smith returning for one more year potentially alters the draft. Rather than selecting an OT in the first round, it opens the door for a C, DT or DE.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
No brainer to bring him back. That allows us to still work on replacing the line and buys us some time to either do it this year to start learning or next year. OL usually require a bit more time so even sitting back learning from him would be incredible.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Any deal will be somewhat tram friendly because they just ate past void years and can start fresh with more.
You give him 12M SB and a 4 year deal where 2 are void and you are signing him for ~4M cap hit next year.

12M SB
year 1 vet min
year 2 9M GTD roster bonus, 6M GTD base --(can be converted to bonus)
year 3 void
year 4 void

2-year 27M fully GTD.
+1 but I think the Commanders, Giants, and/or some other team is going to offer him money he can't refuse or way more than we are willing to pay.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Never been about $$$ for Tyron.
Yea I know........but
I mean MM touched on bringing him back a few days ago.........he stopped short of saying he WOULD be back.
Let's put it this way.......the Cowboys offer 1 year 10M and he gets a 3 year averaging $12-13M ( 2 years guaranteed ) offer also. My point is, I just think his value to another team might be more than we can afford, especially since we can easily draft his replacement with 24.

khiladi

Reaction score
There should be no hard feelings either way, as Tyron showed real loyalty and helped the team out with his deal already.