News: Tyron Smith not considering retiring wants to return to the Cowboys

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
+1 but I think the Commanders, Giants, and/or some other team is going to offer him money he can't refuse or way more than we are willing to pay.
Tyron is rather anti-social. I'm not sure he wants to leave or learn a new team/city.
He lives close to The Star in Frisco in a gated community.
Has a family and is very private.
I am sure there is price that is too low but if it the team is in the ballpark I think they will land him.

I would have moved on last year but the no practice stuff worked insanely well.
Kinda nuts but you can't argue with his metrics.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yea I know........but
I mean MM touched on bringing him back a few days ago.........he stopped short of saying he WOULD be back.
Let's put it this way.......the Cowboys offer 1 year 10M and he gets a 3 year averaging $12-13M ( 2 years guaranteed ) offer also. My point is, I just think his value to another team might be more than we can afford, especially since we can easily draft his replacement with 24.
We are not easily drafting his replacement at 24. As many as 6 OT are set to come off the board before Dallas drafts at 24.
Thats why Dallas is so often mocked to the top interior guy, the OC JSJ.
You'd have to get insanely lucky at pick 24 or move Tyler there.

In your example the 1-year deal doesn't hurt Tyron.
He can run it back every year essentially.

A bad deal for him would be a lot of years at a low cost. That would force him into retirement if it went bad.
But again I see no reason Dallas wouldn't offer him a multi-year deal to be able to spread his money out more easily.

I do not think 2M a year difference would get it done.
Maybe if a team bids 5M AAV higher he has to go.

My example was 2 years 27M all GTD and on a 4-year deal where the last 2 void and the year 1 cap hit is ~4M.
Hard for either side to say no to that IMHO.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
And here we have Dak talking about “respect”, for accomplishing nothing…. Sucked when Zeke was suspended, failed in the “Dak friendly” offense, got him Cooper, not let Dak face any competition in practice and Jerry let him play in meaningless games for more and more practice…
As a fan base we are lucky he’s not being compensated for every word or post you bring him up. That’s some expensive real estate he’d have

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We are not easily drafting his replacement at 24. As many as 6 OT are set to come off the board before Dallas drafts at 24.
Thats why Dallas is so often mocked to the top interior guy, the OC JSJ.
You'd have to get insanely lucky at pick 24 or move Tyler there.

In your example the 1-year deal doesn't hurt Tyron.
He can run it back every year essentially.

A bad deal for him would be a lot of years at a low cost. That would force him into retirement if it went bad.
But again I see no reason Dallas wouldn't offer him a multi-year deal to be able to spread his money out more easily.

I do not think 2M a year difference would get it done.
Maybe if a team bids 5M AAV higher he has to go.

My example was 2 years 27M all GTD and on a 4-year deal where the last 2 void and the year 1 cap hit is ~4M.
Hard for either side to say no to that IMHO.
IF we plan to run him back, there's a hell of a lot of work to do within the next 2-3 weeks........starting with you know who contract. IF that doesn't get done by the start of free agency, things can real salty. In other words, if they have to get under the cap w/o Dak's extension just to meet the deadline but still feel confident they will get done. That would likely mean most, if not all our free agents would hit the open market.

Carson

Reaction score
IF we plan to run him back, there's a hell of a lot of work to do within the next 2-3 weeks........starting with you know who contract. IF that doesn't get done by the start of free agency, things can real salty. In other words, if they have to get under the cap w/o Dak's extension just to meet the deadline but still feel confident they will get done. That would likely mean most, if not all our free agents would hit the open market.
I can guarantee you Daks deal is done March 12th or March 13th at the final hour.

They have to be under the cap by the 13th

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That’s fine!

There is just no way they keep Dak at $59 million and plan to field a competitive team that’s any better than last year
Oh.......I think they will get something done. I'm just not sure they can agree by March 13 and the Cowboys may be forced to find other ways to get under the cap just to meet the deadline and continue working on Dak's extension.

Carson

Reaction score
Oh.......I think they will get something done. I'm just not sure they can agree by March 13 and the Cowboys may be forced to find other ways to get under the cap just to meet the deadline and continue working on Dak's extension.
I hear you Hawk and this is a valid point.

But I feel like you can restructure Martin, extend Dak and gain a ton of cap. You set Gallup post June 1st for an additional $9.5. Vander Esch and Rush net you another $5 combined. They can make it work but will deplete a lot of the depth if they don’t re-up 4

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I hear you Hawk and this is a valid point.

But I feel like you can restructure Martin, extend Dak and gain a ton of cap. You set Gallup post June 1st for an additional $9.5. Vander Esch and Rush net you another $5 combined. They can make it work but will deplete a lot of the depth if they don’t re-up 4
Bottom line......if they don't 4 extensions done by March 13, they can't stop any of their free agents they wanna keep from hitting the open market (Tyon Smith for example ).

That's some serious leverage Dak and Todd France have there.........

Kwyn

Reaction score
Team friendly deal, I hope.
He’s done that the last couple of times. Incentive laden deals under market.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he tries for a bit more this time.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Trent Williams is consistently cited as one of the league's top OTs. He has played in 3 more games that Smith since 2011 and yet the 49ers are THRILLED to have him.
I welcome back a top 5 LT even if it means only 12-14 games.
You can’t reason with some of these people.

They live in the Zone echo chamber where if facts are distorted often enough, no one can actually know the truth.

kevm3

Reaction score
You bring him back and you draft or get his replacement in FA and let Tyron hold the spot for another year or two. He's been a great citizen here and we don't have enough talent on O-line to create another hole.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Do you remember how? I mean how did Jerry protect him or his money?
What I heard was that Tyron gave family members a certain amount of money and told them that's it, no more ever.

Whether Jerry advised him on that I don't know, but that solved his family money problems...