Underrated Movies You Recommend

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sucker Punch

Hot chicks, action movie, good stuff...

:hammer:I had real high hopes for the movie and it let me down but I still enjoyed it. Good ending too.

[EDIT]

Two of my off-topic notables.

Emily Browning has an odd taste in roles but I like how she plays them. For anyone interested, Browning plays an unfaithful wife who suffers a very karmic death but returns as a reincarnated super strong corpse in American Gods on Starz. Good stuff.

Carla Gugino has played a bunch of roles through the years. Question. Is there anyone like me who finds her very attractive but not exactly sure why? For example, I seriously thought about mentioning her in @timb2 Hottest Actress thread but stopped and wondered why I should.

/mini cold shower rant

Last edited:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Carla Gugino has played a bunch of roles through the years. Question. Is there anyone like me who finds her very attractive but not exactly sure why? For example, I seriously thought about mentioning her in @timb2 Hottest Actress thread but stopped and wondered why I should.
Wait, she's not in that thread? No reason to open it now.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
:hammer:I had real high hopes for the movie and it let me down but I still enjoyed it. Good ending too.

[EDIT]

Two of my off-topic notables.

Emily Browning has an odd taste in roles but I like how she plays them. For anyone interested, Browning plays an unfaithful wife who suffers a very karmic death but returns as a reincarnated super strong corpse in American Gods on Starz. Good stuff.

/mini cold shower rant
American Gods is so twisted and cool. Unfortunately, I dropped Starz, so I'm not sure if I can watch the newer seasons.

rags

Reaction score
From 1988, Dominick and Eugene, with Ray Liotta, Thom Hulce, and Jamie Lee Curtis.

Have tissues handy.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Given our current life situation, I thought it might be a good time to discuss some films with one another that might give us something to check out. Maybe we can give each other some ideas for what to watch/rent/stream?

What are some films that you've seen that you feel deserve more attention than they get?

I'll start by giving the film's name and year of release and what I would consider it's genre:

• War of the Worlds (2005) - While I would consider it more of an action film, it does contain some elements that would be considered frightening, especially to children so it might fall into the horror category as well. A combination of Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg with great special effects and suspense.
  • Megamind (2010) - An underrated computer animated movie, geared towards kids but one adults can enjoy as well. Voices include Will Farrell, Tina Fey, and Brad Pitt.
  • Edge of Tomorrow (Live Die Repeat, 2014) - A sci-fi action film with Tom Cruise (go figure, he's in two of my three initial listings?). A very interesting premise with an outside-the-box presentation, I found it a fresh idea in an era of repetitive stories.
  • Passengers (2016) - Sci-fi film starring Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt about a futuristic transport ship en route to a new home planet. Visually stunning with some morality added in. Underrated in my book.
That's a start and I'll add plenty more if anyone takes interest in this thread.

Another vote for Passengers (2016). I found it amazing. Some critics panned it because they didn't like an un-PC choice that the main character made, but they're goobers. Movie characters are often very flawed human beings. In fact, it's a character's flaws that makes him interesting. If you had a movie where everyone is always perfectly moral and they never do anything upsetting or controversial, you have a movie that is BORING. Passengers puts the main character into a moral dilemma where any choice he makes is a terrible choice. That's what makes it interesting.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another vote for Passengers (2016). I found it amazing. Some critics panned it because they didn't like an un-PC choice that the main character made, but they're goobers. Movie characters are often very flawed human beings. In fact, it's a character's flaws that makes him interesting. If you had a movie where everyone is always perfectly moral and they never do anything upsetting or controversial, you have a movie that is BORING. Passengers puts the main character into a moral dilemma where any choice he makes is a terrible choice. That's what makes it interesting.

I agree, and I also liked that the two ultimately found love, even under the strange and what could be interpreted as awful circumstances. It was a happy ending.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I agree, and I also liked that the two ultimately found love, even under the strange and what could be interpreted as awful circumstances. It was a happy ending.

Yeah, people panned the ending, but I loved it. I also found it frustrating that the PC-goobers threw a fit over the crime he committed against her, but totally ignored the crime she committed against him. She broke into his room and assaulted him and nearly killed him. That was the point. They were both flawed. They both wronged each other, but then they had to work together to save the ship, and then chose to be together flaws in all. I couldn't believe how bad some people missed the point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, people panned the ending, but I loved it.

Same here. I thought the story presented a very good moral dilemma and a 'what would you do?' scenario and it was interesting to see it play out. For the two to fall in love, fall out of love, and ultimately fall in love again.

I also found it frustrating that the PC-goobers threw a fit over the crime he committed against her, but totally ignored the crime she committed against him. She broke into his room and assaulted him and nearly killed him. That was the point. They were both flawed. They both wronged each other, but then they had to work together to save the ship, and then chose to be together flaws in all. I couldn't believe how bad some people missed the point.

Weird to hear about complaints about this movie while things like the Bachelor and Bachelorette continue.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Same here. I thought the story presented a very good moral dilemma and a 'what would you do?' scenario and it was interesting to see it play out. For the two to fall in love, fall out of love, and ultimately fall in love again.
Weird to hear about complaints about this movie while things like the Bachelor and Bachelorette continue.

Yeah, the film's detractors are mainly people totally biased against men who can only see the woman's POV. I won't go into greater detail because I don't want to be political, but I think you know what I mean. How else could anyone totally overlook her assault of him? Anyway, the goobers can write a movie where everyone is always perfectly moral and never do anything wrong and are never in any dilemmas, and see how well a film like that does.

quickccc

Reaction score
Shutter Island
District 9
Drive
Nightcrawler

Drive - str8 took a page from very controversially foreign film Irreversible with the elevator smash scene.
District 9- is one of my fav Guilty Pleasure films.
Nightcrawler - Jake Gyllenhaal worthy of a Oscar nomination.