Video: Undisputed: Lombardi's advice to Jerry: It's time to be aggressive

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You don't think the Jets would jump on a trade offer for him?

Could they? Revis, Forte, Wilkerson and Fitzpatrick didn't help their cap situation. And what good would it do them to trade midseason already at 1-5?

Zordon

Reaction score
@Zordon

Thanks for posting the vid and getting, yet another, strong discussion started.

You're a gentleman and a scholar :)

(Seriously, you're an asset to this site, and I just wanted to tell you publicly, brudda)
Thx my man.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
LOL ahh yes every offseason the CZ accountants reassure us that there is nothing we can't afford. That the salary cap is a figment of our imagination! Then the season gets here and we're stuck watching Benson Mayowa get stonewalled a dozen times a game. :laugh:
There's a HUGE difference between spending and over-paying, my man.

Never claimed to be an accountant. I'm in the "Ain't my money" box.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
You save MUCH more money by trading him now vs getting rid of him next year..

But you don't though.

Trading him now accelerates his remaining prorated signing bonus and actually costs an additional $11.1M in cap room. Which means the Cowboys would have to somehow create $5.9M in cap room immediately just to be able to trade him.

If he was traded, cut, or he chose to retire this next off-season, it would free up an additional $5.1M in cap room (his 2017 cap hit of $24.7M cap hit minus accelerated prorated bonus hit of $19.6). It also means the Cowboys are no longer paying him a $14M base salary (real money, as opposed to fictional cap space) AND he is completely off the books when the 2018 season starts.

If he was cut or retired next off-season, and the team decided to make him a June 1st cut, the team would gain $14M in cap space, but that would not be available until June 1st, long after most free agents have signed. In that scenario, Romo would still be on the 2018 books for $8.9M as well.

Reactions: BAT

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
The last 20 years suggest the Cowboys haven't quite mastered the cap, yet. ;)
Jerry has been robbed more than a dozen times.

His fault.

They're just more frugal now.

They'll spend for known talent. Ask Fred Beard.

Another contract that could be restructured, BTW.

JMO, of course.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Backup? Romo is not the backup, he's the franchise quarterback. You're letting the mediot lunacy infect you. How about simply enjoying the fact that we've finally got a quality backup and heir apparent on the team?
:laugh: Whatever you say man.

Zman5

Reaction score
Why would Jets trade with us this season? That makes no sense. They are 1-5 and has almost zero chance of making the playoffs this year playing in that division . It's not like they are in a thick of things and is only QB away from winning a SB this year. Romo is a good QB but he still has to learn a new offense and it would take him few games to get going on a new team.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
But you don't though.

Trading him now accelerates his remaining prorated signing bonus and actually costs an additional $11.1M in cap room. Which means the Cowboys would have to somehow create $5.9M in cap room immediately just to be able to trade him.

If he was traded, cut, or he chose to retire this next off-season, it would free up an additional $5.1M in cap room (his 2017 cap hit of $24.7M cap hit minus accelerated prorated bonus hit of $19.6). It also means the Cowboys are no longer paying him a $14M base salary (real money, as opposed to fictional cap space) AND he is completely off the books when the 2018 season starts.

If he was cut or retired next off-season, and the team decided to make him a June 1st cut, the team would gain $14M in cap space, but that would not be available until June 1st, long after most free agents have signed. In that scenario, Romo would still be on the 2018 books for $8.9M as well.
isn't there a way to re-do his deal to make it more affordable to trade?

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Could they? Revis, Forte, Wilkerson and Fitzpatrick didn't help their cap situation. And what good would it do them to trade midseason already at 1-5?

Yes, because Fitz is on a one season deal. And Revis hasn't played well this season, they need a splash offseason. It's New York. East Coast.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
Lombardi doesn't know Jerry very well. Tony Romo will retire a Dallas Cowboy

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Why would Jets trade with us this season? That makes no sense. They are 1-5 and has almost zero chance of making the playoffs this year playing in that division . It's not like they are in a thick of things and is only QB away from winning a SB this year. Romo is a good QB but he still has to learn a new offense and it would take him few games to get going on a new team.

Not this season, Z. Off season, east coast, Revis bust, season ticket renews, off season splash signing, bonafide elite QB.

Favre redux.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
isn't there a way to re-do his deal to make it more affordable to trade?

I've heard of teams that get the player reworking the deal but not the trading team. Not sure how that works. I would think that anything restructured would be thrown into the accelerated bonus hit, which makes it worse not better.

Zman5

Reaction score
Not this season, Z. Off season, east coast, Revis bust, season ticket renews, off season splash signing, bonafide elite QB.

Favre redux.

Exactly. Skip and Lombardi was implying this season in the video.

Reaction score
Jerry needs to put emotion to the side. If he wants to resign Zach Martin, Collins, some of these secondary pieces - he has to recoup that cap space from Tony.
JJ needs to put the decision in Tony's hands......agree to renegotiate your contract or not

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
What is enough to trade Romo? Not now as one or the other is the backup and this season is looking promising to date.

Two R1s?? How high would they be?

Tony is under contract:

http://i471.***BLOCKED***/albums/rr75/jobberone/Screen%20Shot%202016-10-18%20at%2012.23.40%20PM_zpsrkd0kevm.png

So unless another team assumes his contract (no restructure/deals before the trade to facilitate it) then I don't see it happening since we're talking 20M+ a year for 3-4 years for a likely contract Romo would take.

I have Romo playing thru age 38 so we can live with the salary esp since Zak is being paid 4th round rookie contract money.

So you're talking two high R1s I'd imagine plus his contract.

He might be worth it to a team who has the team minus the QB like Min did earlier this year. Who is that?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

I would think if Romo asked to be traded, Jerry would more than accommodate him. Like allow him to pick the destination type accommodation.

erod

Reaction score
If you don't say shocking things on these shows, you get kicked off these shows.

We live in Idiocracy.

Always remember that.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

This is also a strong possibility, but he must take a contract restructure. And a huge one. Around ~13-14 million less aav then he's due.

Meaning, Jerry needs to use his back channels and get Tony to agree, with the understanding that it will be paid back in full once he's retried and off the book :)

Yes, it's illegal. But Jerry's a billionaire, many times over. He knows the ropes :D

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
If you don't say shocking things on these shows, you get kicked off these shows.

We live in Idiocracy.

Always remember that.

You're also on Cowboys Zone, erod. Always remember that...

This isn't AV Club