Video: Undisputed: Lombardi's advice to Jerry: It's time to be aggressive

Zman5

Reaction score
What is enough to trade Romo? Not now as one or the other is the backup and this season is looking promising to date.

Two R1s?? How high would they be?

Tony is under contract:

http://i471.***BLOCKED***/albums/rr75/jobberone/Screen%20Shot%202016-10-18%20at%2012.23.40%20PM_zpsrkd0kevm.png

So unless another team assumes his contract (no restructure/deals before the trade to facilitate it) then I don't see it happening since we're talking 20M+ a year for 3-4 years for a likely contract Romo would take.

I have Romo playing thru age 38 so we can live with the salary esp since Zak is being paid 4th round rookie contract money.

So you're talking two high R1s I'd imagine plus his contract.

He might be worth it to a team who has the team minus the QB like Min did earlier this year. Who is that?

Zak is a 1st round OG. ;)

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
What is enough to trade Romo? Not now as one or the other is the backup and this season is looking promising to date.

Two R1s?? How high would they be?

Tony is under contract:

http://i471.***BLOCKED***/albums/rr75/jobberone/Screen%20Shot%202016-10-18%20at%2012.23.40%20PM_zpsrkd0kevm.png

So unless another team assumes his contract (no restructure/deals before the trade to facilitate it) then I don't see it happening since we're talking 20M+ a year for 3-4 years.

I have Romo playing thru age 38 so we can live with the salary esp since Zak is being paid 4th round rookie contract money.

So you're talking two high R1s I'd imagine plus his contract.

He might be worth it to a team who has the team minus the QB like Min did earlier this year. Who is that?

The remaining years (2017 thru 2019) are not guaranteed. The team that traded for Romo would give him a new deal, with a signing bonus (guaranteed money up front) and lower the cap hit. They take no cap hit for this since a traded player has no prorated bonus acceleration attached to him. The team only inherits the base salaries and can immediately discard that contract (no cap hit) when the player signs the new deal, usually a requirement of the trade.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Keep him in Dalals, its a long season. Can talk about it next year, see how things play out. But if its Daks team by end of this year then I am sure their will be suitors for Romo.

JBS

Reaction score
But you don't though.

Trading him now accelerates his remaining prorated signing bonus and actually costs an additional $11.1M in cap room. Which means the Cowboys would have to somehow create $5.9M in cap room immediately just to be able to trade him.

If he was traded, cut, or he chose to retire this next off-season, it would free up an additional $5.1M in cap room (his 2017 cap hit of $24.7M cap hit minus accelerated prorated bonus hit of $19.6). It also means the Cowboys are no longer paying him a $14M base salary (real money, as opposed to fictional cap space) AND he is completely off the books when the 2018 season starts.

If he was cut or retired next off-season, and the team decided to make him a June 1st cut, the team would gain $14M in cap space, but that would not be available until June 1st, long after most free agents have signed. In that scenario, Romo would still be on the 2018 books for $8.9M as well.

Its still a much bigger savings getting rid of him now..whether we can afford the additional cap hit is a different story...obviously that has to be accounted for but we can work the books and have the additional 6M in space we create be spread out over some years...I would imagine..then you save 24M in space next year..that's huge

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KID #1 What’s this stuff?
KID #2 Some blowhard. Supposed to be sports related.
KID #1 Did you try it?
KID #2 I’m not gonna try it. You try it.
KID #2 Slides laptop toward KID #1.
KID #1 I’m not gonna try it.
KID #1 Slides the laptop back to KID #2.
KID #2 Let’s get Mikey!
KID #1 Yeah!

ANOTHER ANGLE Reveals another kid, MIKEY, sitting at the far end of the table.
KID #2 Slides laptop toward MIKEY. Mikey looks blankly at the laptop.
BACK TO The other kids as they look off-screen toward Mikey.

KID #2 He won’t watch it. He hates everything…

SFX – GAGGING NOISES

KID#2 HE'S SEIZING! HEY MIKEY!

ANGLE ON MIKEY As he rolls his eyes and falls off the chair

. NARRATOR If it's Bayless, don’t let the kids watch Bayless

A CLOSEUP Of the laptop.
ZOOM OUT to reveal Kid #1 and Kid #2 performing CPR in the background.​

Wow. That was a trip in the way-back machine. And, yes, just about right.

JBS

Reaction score
I would think if Romo asked to be traded, Jerry would more than accommodate him. Like allow him to pick the destination type accommodation.

Sounds like your tune on dak has changed considerably in the span of a few days

I told you 8 weeks ago this would happen

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
can work the books and have the additional 6M in space we create be spread out over some years.

How?

Are you talking about restructuring current deals?

Do you think Dez and Witten are going to give back money now to help facilitate a trade of Romo ? In the off-season it's pretty easy to do, mid-season would be a minor miracle.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Didn't realize Lombardi was still in the NFL, great Packer teams!! /s/

JBS

Reaction score
How?

Are you talking about restructuring current deals?

Do you think Dez and Witten are going to give back money now to help facilitate a trade of Romo ? In the off-season it's pretty easy to do, mid-season would be a minor miracle.

I imagine restructuring is the only way...I don't suppose you can't restructure mid-season..but maybe you can't...I have no idea..I'm sure there are other deals that can be done

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Sounds like your tune on dak has changed considerably in the span of a few days

I told you 8 weeks ago this would happen

He continues to astound me. I thought these past 2 games would be too big for him. They weren't.

Also, if my choice is Romo (and his salary) with Dak on the bench versus Dak and Romo's cap room used to improve the defense, I'll take the latter.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Skip haters can just listen to the first 3 minutes but honestly the whole segment is good.

Lombardi must have read my "missing ingredient" post. :D

I love being aggressive BUT being aggressive doesn't mean being stupid. Decision on Romo not necessary THIS season.

Dumping Romo THIS season reeks of desperation. There are other resources that Cowboys could use instead. Winning makes your assets look so much better. For example, Steve Walsh.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Jets and Niners need QB's. Love Tony, but this is business, you trade him now and reap some benefits, wait and he will not be worth anything. Gotta strike while the iron is hot!

Who are you targeting on Jets or Niners? Both run a 3-4 D scheme.