Video: Undisputed: Lombardi's advice to Jerry: It's time to be aggressive

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
The Vikings paid a ton because they think they are a Super Bowl contender right now. And they could be right.

There aren't too many Super Bowl contenders that need a QB today. Lombardi talked about the Jets, 49ers, Miami, But none of these teams are close to winning anything in the near future. They aren't going to give up first round draft picks for a 36 year old QB coming off multiple injuries. They are not the Vikings.

How about the Broncos?

kevinhickey

Reaction score
Ok you can think that as a fan. The GM needs to be more level headed. That is if you like seeing Zach Martin in a Cowboys uniform. You owe the rest of the team the best opportunity to succeed. That means using that cap space on needs on the defense and locking up the best player on our oline.
I have to agree with your comments. As much as I love Romo's game; I would rather take the chance in letting him play somewhere else, saving us the cap room to sign Martin and addressing the defence. Cutting Romo in the off season saves us little on the cap and teams can go after less exspensive options to address the QB position.

Zordon

Reaction score
:laugh: Whatever you say man.

you've changed....
full

for the better..........
qucgqtayylqpceehvnky.gif

robbieruff

Reaction score
Skip haters can just listen to the first 3 minutes but honestly the whole segment is good.

I have making post after post the past week or so saying we need to go after Cameron Wake. We won't need to trade Romo for him as he's a pending FA. Just trade a conditional pick (say a 4th or 3rd at highest) and if he walks as a free agent after the season you will basically get the pick back as a comp. it's a no friggin brainer in my view. That's he spirit of Lombardi's comments as I see them. We should be going aggressive to get a pass rusher RIGHT NOW and I think Miami will take a pick. No need to give up Romo who is at worst a great insurance policy. With Wake we'd be a borderline super bowl favorite. Get it done during the buy week. Perfect time to do it!!!!

robbieruff

Reaction score
He suggested Cam Wake but also said Wake is 34. 34?!?!? Uh, no.
Dude. He's perfect. We just need him for this year anyway...until next draft. If he performs well, worry about signing him beyond this year for a cap friendly deal structure. Get him now for a conditional pick and don't trade Romo as Wake's going to be a FA after this season anyway. If he walks we get a comp pick.

A bunch of folks were keen on bringing in Freeney as a situational pass rusher this pre-season. Wake would totally be the ticket. Think of him as a Jeffcoat type. He would immediately help push us over the top in terms of consistency in pressuring the QB. It's a no brainer!!!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think that's true. @xwalker ?
It would be prohibitive to trade him this season because of the cap hit. The exact amount would depend on the exact date that he is traded because the new team would pick up the remaining part of his base salary.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I agree with Shannon, I'd deal him in the offseason

It would be tempting but I have to agree with Sharpe on this one as well. Wait til the off season to trade or release Romo.

I would talk to the Dolphins about James Jones or Cameron Wake for a conditional pick though. Jones will be a FA and Wake will be released next year due to his CAP number.

T-RO

Reaction score
If you don't say shocking things on these shows, you get kicked off these shows.

We live in Idiocracy.

Always remember that.

Yup. I think that tv ratings, perhaps more than anything else, explains that little tv segment.

T-RO

Reaction score
This is also a strong possibility, but he must take a contract restructure. And a huge one. Around ~13-14 million less aav then he's due.

Meaning, Jerry needs to use his back channels and get Tony to agree, with the understanding that it will be paid back in full once he's retried and off the book :)

Yes, it's illegal. But Jerry's a billionaire, many times over. He knows the ropes :D

That has certainly ran through my mind. Or alternatively Jerry could provide a rather "generous incentive" for a small market owner/GM to help work things out in a trade that helps the Cowboys.

Jerry's got money to do what he wants. The league owners owe him favors, don't they? :laugh:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
David Moore from the DMN went over this several times the last couple of weeks on the Ticket. Unless Romo decides to retire (don't see that at all), the salary cap will basically require him to be here until after the 2017 season. People might as well give up on this idea of trading him like this is baseball. He'll be here for a while yet, and good thing. Have seen plenty of young QBs play well to begin and then fall off a cliff (Shaun King, RGIII, Mark Sanchez, etc).
Wrong.

They can easily cut or trade Romo after this season. They actually gain 5M in cap space from cutting or trading him. They can gain a total of 14M if they make him a June 1st cut.

CVN68_Cowboys

Reaction score
Wrong.

They can easily cut or trade Romo after this season. They actually gain 5M in cap space from cutting or trading him. They can gain a total of 14M if they make him a June 1st cut.

No, it isn't wrong or "easy" at all. Romo will not be traded or cut. He's here this season AND next season because of the cap, per people that would actually know the intricacies of Romo's deal (David Moore, DMN). The trade talk is a 100% waste of time. Have at it, though. Just know that it's pointless and won't happen.

rags747

Reaction score
This has one of the things I both admired about Jerry and disliked at the same time.
He hangs on to players too long. I said it about Troy Aikman, Deion Sanders, Emmitt Smith and, now, Tony Romo.

Sometimes, you have to read the handwriting on the wall. But Jerry doesn't do that. Just like Aikman, he'll likely continue to believe there's just "one piece" we need to get Aikman that fourth ring or Tony Romo that first ring. But reality, based on injuries and age, says "It's closer to the end of the road than the beginning."

I really wish Tony Romo had won a Super Bowl with the Cowboys. But the reality is - based on past experience - that Romo will likely get hurt again. And rather than take that risk, you need to let him get healthy on the bench and prepare him for a trade. Dak needs to the reps, and he is the future.

Unfortunately, the future has come too soon for Romo.

Th best storybook ending for #9 the Natural is to take over for an injured Dac going into the playoffs and to absolutely light it up through the SB. This is the way this story needs to end!!!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The remaining years (2017 thru 2019) are not guaranteed. The team that traded for Romo would give him a new deal, with a signing bonus (guaranteed money up front) and lower the cap hit. They take no cap hit for this since a traded player has no prorated bonus acceleration attached to him. The team only inherits the base salaries and can immediately discard that contract (no cap hit) when the player signs the new deal, usually a requirement of the trade.

Hence few trades. This is why they would have to tailor his contract here and there.

There is guaranteed money for the next three years AFAIK due to restructure(s). I only looked two places so that data may be wrong altho spotrac is generally right.