Unimpressed so Far

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
I'm really happy about the win, but you guys are crazy if you think we're going to get 6 turnovers every game. The pass defense needs to be better, and the offense has to get out of its own way.

This looks like the same 8-8 team to me.

Great win, and great job by the defense.

We won't have to get 6 turnovers every game. That's the great thing about every game being it's own entity. The important thing is we needed them this week and we got them.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
3 pts off of the first 3 turnovers is NOT good offense.

"Points off turnovers" is a worthless stat for evaluating the offense's performance. It doesn't matter HOW you get the ball, what matters is WHERE you get it. If you recover three fumbles inside your own 10-yard line, you're going to have a difficult time turning any of them into points. If you recover one fumble inside the opponent's 10, you should come away with a touchdown more often than not.

Our offense got the ball four times after turnovers and turned them into 10 points. Based on where we got the ball each time, we should have turned them into 11.86 points. So, if Romo's interception had been merely an incompletion that let to a field goal, we would have exceeded our expected points off turnovers instead of coming up 1.14 points short. Still, scoring 84 percent of your expected points isn't that bad.

The Giants' offense, on the other hand, got three points off the only turnover we committed -- but they started with the ball at OUR 1-yard line. The average points scored when starting at the opponent's 1 is 6.66, so they actually did far worse at taking advantage of their one turnover than we did of taking advantage of our four.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm really happy about the win, but you guys are crazy if you think we're going to get 6 turnovers every game. The pass defense needs to be better, and the offense has to get out of its own way.

This looks like the same 8-8 team to me.

Great win, and great job by the defense.

I don't expect 6 TOs every week, but I'm also never going to complain about a defense that takes the ball away 6 times.

If we win next week and for different reasons, I'll probably be defending our play next week, too. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It's too early to tell how good a team we have, but we look pretty deep and pretty good, all around tonight. That Giants team had a good game plan and played really hard. Eli played great from the middle of the third quarter on. We were lucky to win, and probably shouldn't be too worried about the fact that we didn't blow them out right now. Let's just see us do the things you need to do to win games: not turn it over, take it away, play well on STs. If we do that, week by week, we'll be a lot better than a 500 club.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Amazing. The Giants are a pretty good team, and I think the Cowboys played about as hard as I have seen in the last fifteen years. People complain because it wasn't 42-10, unfortunately those rarely happen in divisional games, just ask the 'Hawks or Patriots.

What do you mean ask the Hawks?

ISUFan22

Reaction score
I'm disappointed in the offense and 4th quarter defense. But a win is huge against a division team. Lots to be excited about amid some of the issues.

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
The team did what it need to do to win. Sometimes it is offense sometimes defense.
Somebody always needs to step up. Today the defense kept us in the game.

How can you not be happy after a win.

What would you feel like if it was a loss.

Enjoy the game man.

T-RO

Reaction score
Some of you need to try 3-dimensional thinking...perhaps explore real analysis. I know it's not fair for you to rise to Adam's level...but c'mon!

All turnovers are not created equal. There are "take-aways" and there are flat "give-aways." Sometimes a defense is creating a turnover and sometimes they are merely scooping up what the opposing team is giving.

Romo's interception where Terrence ran the wrong route? That was a give-away. The New York D did nothing special to merit that one. And similarly at least half of the Giant turnovers were not of the category we should rightly dub "Take-Aways." They were gifts by the Giants or flukes.

That was an exceptionally poorly played game. A lot of it I suspect was early game jitters that seemed to gain a momentum of its own. But neither team is going anywhere it they don't play much better football.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Just about every team that won today have complaints. San Francisco, Seattle, New England all won ugly games today. It's week one. Will be interesting to see how much we improve in week 2. Getting the ball in the end zone is a most. Dallas could have put up half a hundred tonight. The in game MUST get better.

chuffly

Reaction score
"Points off turnovers" is a worthless stat for evaluating the offense's performance. It doesn't matter HOW you get the ball, what matters is WHERE you get it. If you recover three fumbles inside your own 10-yard line, you're going to have a difficult time turning any of them into points. If you recover one fumble inside the opponent's 10, you should come away with a touchdown more often than not.

Our offense got the ball four times after turnovers and turned them into 10 points. Based on where we got the ball each time, we should have turned them into 11.86 points. So, if Romo's interception had been merely an incompletion that let to a field goal, we would have exceeded our expected points off turnovers instead of coming up 1.14 points short. Still, scoring 84 percent of your expected points isn't that bad.

The Giants' offense, on the other hand, got three points off the only turnover we committed -- but they started with the ball at OUR 1-yard line. The average points scored when starting at the opponent's 1 is 6.66, so they actually did far worse at taking advantage of their one turnover than we did of taking advantage of our four.

Didn't take long for Adam to get into mid-season form. Good stuff.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Ouch. This hurt to watch/read. Even more than those hits that Romo and Free took tonight. Adam has some Jack Lambert in him. :D

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
First game with a new defensive system. Our OL had a rookie Center and 2nd year UFA at Guard. Our worst OLmen will be a backup next week. We played against a very talented and deep DL and we had a rookie WR. The arrow is pointing upwards.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
In order for this offense to take off Terence Williams will have to step his game up because they are doubling Dez automatically...

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Since I don't know what you mean by emoting here, I will argue both ways.

If emote was sarcastic and you thought I was under-valuing it:

The defense did give up 500 yds and 4 TD's. Gave up a couple of big plays(to be expected) but not a great game overall..

If over-valuing it:

We did get six turnovers and had a nice goaline stand and scored some defensive points. We held down their run game too.

Therefore: I said the defense did ok considering they were missing some key pieces.

Feel free to give some input rather than one sentence responses or emoting :)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Feel free to give some input rather than one sentence responses or emoting :)
To say you are impressed or not impressed with the new defense after just one game is jumping to conclusions a little early IMO.

Considering the circumstances and opponent we played we should just be happy with the W and start looking forward to KC.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
To say you are impressed or not impressed with the new defense after just one game is jumping to conclusions a little early IMO.

Considering the circumstances and opponent we played we should just be happy with the W and start looking forward to KC.

Gotcha, but the unimpressed was mainly for the offense from the original post. I said(somewhere) that I couldn't judge the defense just yet so left it as just ok.

I am happy with the win but also know some things need cleaning up so I can enjoy more wins :)