Unimpressed so Far

T-RO

Reaction score
Just about every team that won today have complaints. San Francisco, Seattle, New England all won ugly games today. It's week one. Will be interesting to see how much we improve in week 2. Getting the ball in the end zone is a most. Dallas could have put up half a hundred tonight. The in game MUST get better.

What!? That Niner-Pack game was filled with one great play after another. It was Ali versus Frazier. That game was a billion years from ugly. Two elite teams playing at exceptionally high levels. That's a certain NFL classic when it comes to NFL week one. Let's keep it real...You didn't watch a play, did you!?

Seriously...don't scoop poop and push that crap into this fine forum. That's epic nonsense you tried to squeeze in. What an embarrassment for true connoisseurs of the game to endure such a statement!

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
What!? That Niner-Pack game was filled with one great play after another. It was Ali versus Frazier. That game was a billion years from ugly. Two elite teams playing at exceptionally high levels. That's a certain NFL classic when it comes to NFL week one. Let's keep it real...You didn't watch a play, did you!?

Seriously...don't scoop poop and push that crap into this fine forum. That's epic nonsense you tried to squeeze in. What an embarrassment for true connoisseurs of the game to endure such a statement!

Or it could have been poor secondary play by both sides. The angle at which one looks at things changes one's perspective, no?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Give me a break. We just beat the Giants and caused six TOs, and two defensive TDs. That's impressive,

The 6 turnovers and 2 defensive TD's were impressive especially with the lack of takeaways the Cowboys have had over the past few seasons but you would have thought it would have led to more than a 5 point win. Even with all the turnovers and the 2 defensive TD's the Cowboys still had to hang on that's a concern. If it's going to take several takeaways each week for the Cowboys to squeak out victories they're going to be in some real trouble. Eli and the Giants could have very easily buried the Cowboys had it not been for all the turnovers and the 2 defensive TD's. The first 3 turnovers only resulted in 3 points for the Cowboys. The Cowboys should have won going away last night with as many breaks as they got.

Great to see the team force all those turnovers but they can't count on turnovers every week to get offenses off the field they have to stiffen up and make some stops. The Cowboys D is going to set a futility record for giving up passing yards if we don't stop seeing busted coverages and receivers running free. Peyton Manning will end up shattering Norm Van Brocklin's record for passing yards in a single game in a few weeks if the coverage doesn't improve. If Eli can put up 450 yards and 4 TD's just imagine what Peyton could do if he has his A-game. :eek: I'm happy for the win but I'm looking at the big picture and if forcing turnovers is the only way the defense can stop anyone the Cowboys are going to have their work cutout winning 10 games this season.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
The 6 turnovers and 2 defensive TD's were impressive especially with the lack of takeaways the Cowboys have had over the past few seasons but you would have thought it would have led to more than a 5 point win. Even with all the turnovers and the 2 defensive TD's the Cowboys still had to hang on that's a concern. If it's going to take several takeaways each week for the Cowboys to squeak out victories they're going to be in some real trouble. Eli and the Giants could have very easily buried the Cowboys had it not been for all the turnovers and the 2 defensive TD's. The first 3 turnovers only resulted in 3 points for the Cowboys. The Cowboys should have won going away last night with as many breaks as they got.

Great to see the team force all those turnovers but they can't count on turnovers every week to get offenses off the field they have to stiffen up and make some stops. The Cowboys D is going to set a futility record for giving up passing yards if we don't stop seeing busted coverages and receivers running free. Peyton Manning will end up shattering Norm Van Brocklin's record for passing yards in a single game in a few weeks if the coverage doesn't improve. If Eli can put up 450 yards and 4 TD's just imagine what Peyton could do if he has his A-game. :eek: I'm happy for the win but I'm looking at the big picture and if forcing turnovers is the only way the defense can stop anyone the Cowboys are going to have their work cutout winning 10 games this season.

The 450 yards was largely a function of playing from behind. If Peyton throws for 450 and we win anyway, I really won't care. Defense Eros WTO the occasion every time it was a one score game. For that I'm pleased.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The 450 yards was largely a function of playing from behind. If Peyton throws for 450 and we win anyway, I really won't care. Defense Eros WTO the occasion every time it was a one score game. For that I'm pleased.

The 450 yards isn't the real issue it's the fact they were leading to TD's. The Cowboys continue to lack a killer instinct they had the Giants down by 17 and allowed them to get back in the game. Bending is one thing but breaking is another. Those passing yards weren't garbage yards they led to 4 TD passes and kept the Giants in touch. If Peyton throws for 450 he may put up another 7 TD's like he did vs the Ravens and I can assure you the Cowboys won't win if that happens. It's one thing giving up yards and it's another thing when those yards lead to TD's. There's a lot of positives from the game but there are some negatives that leave some concern.

Bluestang

Reaction score
The irony here is that when we faced the Giants the second time, we lost by 5 points also and we committed 6 turnovers as well.

We sure as hell came close to winning, IIRC, if it wasn't for a someone's fingertips that we were out of bounds.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
The 450 yards isn't the real issue it's the fact they were leading to TD's. The Cowboys continue to lack a killer instinct they had the Giants down by 17 and allowed them to get back in the game. Bending is one thing but breaking is another. Those passing yards weren't garbage yards they led to 4 TD passes and kept the Giants in touch. If Peyton throws for 450 he may put up another 7 TD's like he did vs the Ravens and I can assure you the Cowboys won't win if that happens. It's one thing giving up yards and it's another thing when those yards lead to TD's. There's a lot of positives from the game but there are some negatives that leave some concern.

I think we essentially agree. I don't want to paper over some struggles we had today. We would need better safety play and better dl depth. With the return of Spencer down the line and Ratliff too makes that a possibility. Same goes for the offense.

Hopefully we maintain our winning ways against KC and not fritter away our opening victory like last year.

T-RO

Reaction score
Or it could have been poor secondary play by both sides. The angle at which one looks at things changes one's perspective, no?

No. I speak of the two NFC championship teams from the past 3 years and the two teams Vegas pegs as most-likely to get it done in 2013/4. That game versus the Cowboys/Giants tif was night and day in terms of player performance.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Hmm. they had a chance to take the lead before we got the 6th turnover late in the fourth, if I am not mistaken.

they still had to operate from their side of the 50 with less than 2 minutes, no promises that was going to happen

first game of season with alot of tweaks and major differences in assignments etc..., against a division rival who has is a VERY good team all the way around by the looks of it, and we did it with a lot of focus on hitting... man I have not seen this defense all go after the ball carrier like that since early 90's.... that was a very exciting game and it should be a booster for this team for weeks to come'

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
I believe the offense playcalling was way better than last year and the defensive play calling on the other side. Offense had a slow start but cant complain w/ a 17 point lead in 3rd quarter. Jerry should get some credit for the offseason changes. This defense kicks ***

kevm3

Reaction score

That's the offense's fault. instead of sealing the deal and keeping the GIants offense off the field and breaking their spirits by increasing the point differential, they constantly 3 and outted and put the defense back on the field. ANY defense will get scored on if you have to deal with an offense that gets pushed off the field quickly, especially when you have a QB like eli and the receiving corps he has. If the offense got that 1st down when there was about 3 to 4 minutes to go in the game, it wouldn't have been close.

We can point to the 450 yards, but we can also point to the defense being directly responsible for 14 points being put up on the board as well as giving the offense the ball in the red zone twice, one of which was a field goal and the other which was a touchdown.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
For the most part you should be really pumped about the win. We finally fixed the turnover problems but the points after the turnovers are a work in progress I agree.

6 turnovers should have been a blow out - and give me decent RB Murray does not cut it

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Six turnovers represented a five point difference in the score. If that doesn't suggest this wasn't some stellar win, then perhaps you need to look again.

Eli, who almost every poster slanders, just tossed for 450 yards and 4 TDs. He was a couple of plays from having the opportunity to win this in the last seconds even with the turnovers.

If you have no pass rush, you have no pass defense.

The offense could not turn the take aways into touchdowns.

This falls on the offensive line.

The team has been built where the strengths are contrary to what wins game consistently.

This win was as much luck as it was skill.

Disagree. There wasn't much lucky about it at all, really. It's not like we got lucky bounces or the Giants missed makeable FGs or committed lots of dumb penalties. No, Eli nearly beat us by being Eli. He absolutely threaded the needle on several passes. We got six turnovers but pretty much every one involved some kind of skill or effort on our part. The fumbles were all stripped. Our defenders and special teams players looked like people who have been coached to get to the ball.

Smith22

Reaction score
Growing pains people. New defense, new play caller on offense, missing starters across the DL, WEEK ONE, and we won.

The team will grow more comfortable on both sides of the ball as the season progresses. Just hope we can stay healthy at key positions.

StylisticS

Reaction score

Relax with your play of words. I don't know why I mentioned that. Chalk it up to tired. I do believe that both teams will expect better from the defenses in the future. But that can be fixed.

onlyonenow

Reaction score
Offense was not great for 3 reasons:

Bernie

T Williams- after that INT Romo was reluctant to trust him again understandably, and Des was getting doubled all the time. So that left Witten and Austin. We took what we were given and did not take many risks.

The Giants D played well and their DC made good calls all game long.

Proximo

Reaction score
This win was as much luck as it was skill.

What a complete BS statement. You make your own luck in this league. The Cowboys brought in new defensive coaches and implemented a new defensive scheme for the purpose of creating more turnovers. They do just that in the 1st game of the season and we have people in here calling it luck. Please.

If this game played out the other way around and it was the Cowboys that lost after coughing it up 6 times this board would be flooded with posts about how poorly coached, undisciplined, and pathetic the Cowboys were, not about how "lucky" the Giants were.

Give me a break.