Upgrade the quarterback position and all our problems with the offensive line are solved

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
not that dak refuses to throw the deep ball he can't throw the deep ball --- never has never will ----- no arm ---- the bigger problem
is Jason garrett ----- not gonna win with that guy

How does this make sense when threw the ball deep in the first offensive series against the Giants and completed it for a TD? Granted he doesn't have a top arm, but he can throw the ball deep as long as he makes a correct read and decision instead of holding the ball too long and letting the receiver run out of range. That's really the whole key - the quick reads and decisions. Too often he seems to be holding the ball too long, I assume looking for the best option. As a rookie it seemed he just took what was open instead of waiting and hoping for something better.

T-RO

Reaction score
I think the refusal to see it is over the top. Seasons that ended in the usual disappointment only strengthens the case. Like a loss with home field is an accomplishment. If your good enough to win 13 games you should be good enough to win playoff games. But it's always a different excuse except coaching? Year nine and some still don't see an issue? And they look horrendous in their current state. But the coaching's fine. lol Who will it be? the QB? OC? last year it was Dez. Can we run off the list of scapegoats. Every year it's anyone but Garrett. It's ridiculous and sad.

I said we might find a better coach. But the guy has a .540 win percentage, which is well regarded in coaching circles. I’m perfectly ready to move on but some of you are a bit ridiculous, blaming everything on Garrett and Linehan.

And let’s be real clear: the reason we lost in the playoffs the last two times was the defense.

T-RO

Reaction score
How does this make sense when threw the ball deep in the first offensive series against the Giants and completed it for a TD? Granted he doesn't have a top arm, but he can throw the ball deep as long as he makes a correct read and decision instead of holding the ball too long and letting the receiver run out of range. That's really the whole key - the quick reads and decisions. Too often he seems to be holding the ball too long, I assume looking for the best option. As a rookie it seemed he just took what was open instead of waiting and hoping for something better.

He will stare right at an open receiver and won’t throw it. That’s lack of arm confidence. And he’s late on a lot of throws too.

Dak was simply better in his first 18 games. Something is in his head now.

Big_D

Reaction score
I said we might find a better coach. But the guy has a .540 win percentage, which is well regarded in coaching circles. I’m perfectly ready to move on but some of you are a bit ridiculous, blaming everything on Garrett and Linehan.

And let’s be real clear: the reason we lost in the playoffs the last two times was the defense.

And the HC has nothing to do with the D? There's always a reason they lose. Lose being the key word. Like clock management and the usual throw instead of run gameplan really helped the Ds case. who's fault was it Marnellis? Like Rob Ryan before him? The scapegoat list is mighty long! Good stuff though. Maybe another dozen years or so might net some actual results. Apparently some don't grow tired of sitting home every January. That includes ownership.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The offensive line isn't exactly amazing right now, but that's partially due to the fact that defenses are sending 8 or 9 rushers each time. No line can survive that. Dak has install fear in defensive coordinators every time they blitz him. If he's not the guy, we have to draft one.

-Martin is not the problem

-Collins is not the problem

-Tyron Smith is not the problem

-The rookie at guard is not the problem.

These guys didn't suddenly wake up one day and forgot to play their position. Their job is just harder with Prescott as the trigger man.
I totally agree. a lot of it is due to Dak and him either pulling the ball down or holding on too long.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The OL ain't what it used to be. As we knew coming into the season, (and going into the draft, for that matter) Dak becomes Bad Dak when pressured consistently. So when we face a team that can rush the QB at all, we get Bad Dak.

Bad Dak with this group of receivers is an ugly combination.

Aikman: "Cole Beasley and Tavon Austin are the best route-runners on this team."

Galian Beast

Reaction score
If I had the option of replacing Prescott or Garrett. First and foremost it's Garrett. I'd like to see another QB, but coaching definitely needs an upgrade before that happens.

I think any reasonable coach replaces Prescott pretty quickly, so yeah, Garrett first.

Garrett will turn on Prescott before it is over though.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Romo's completion % for 2 playoff games early in his career (Dak is in his 3rd year)...

2006 (age 26) - 58.6%, 189 yds, 1 td
2007 (age 27) - 50%, 201 yds, 1 td, 1 int.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Romo made Garrett look like a great coach. Dak makes Garrett look like steaming diahrrea. Don't try to deny it.
It doesn’t matter, Garrett is not taking you anywhere or winning anything. Dak is playing bad, is Garrett doing anything about it? No, it’s his usual “need better execution.” Never is he accountable for what is wrong with the team.

For all that you say that Romo made Garrett look good, he didn’t win anything. Romo got crucified here on this forum the whole time he was the QB.