Vandy Should Be Blamed, But What About Romo & His 2 Red Zone INTs?!?

itoldyouSOE

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I don't think there has ever been a QB that didn't play in a wishbone offense that was run first pass second (except maybe Vick...but that is another story). That is a ridiculous concept at the pro level and yes Staubach, Elway, Montana and Young all had the reputation as scrambling QB. Denying it won't change it.

But how is this germane to a discussion of Romo? Romo moves in the pocket to avoid the rush and try to find a receiver. He is in no way a "run first" QB though you seem to hold it against him that he has that ability in greater abundance than Bledsoe.

I don't hold it against Romo. I am happy he has pocket presence. For as little experience he has, I am quite impressed with it.

My point was that just because he is more nimble in the pocket than Bledsoe does not make him a better QB then Bledsoe, like some on here are trying to argue. But no one answers this. They just go off on tangents and muddle down this discussion.

itoldyouSOE

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I am embarassed. I am now giving myself 50 lashes in shame. :rolleyes:

So, do you think McNabb is a run first, pass second QB?

Do you think Bledsoe and Montana have similar styles? Bledsoe passes first and runs second(if at all). No, they have two very distinct styles.

Now you're just being ridiculous

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
itoldyouSOE said:
I don't hold it against Romo. I am happy he has pocket presence. For as little experience he has, I am quite impressed with it.

My point was that just because he is more nimble in the pocket than Bledsoe does not make him a better QB then Bledsoe, like some on here are trying to argue. But no one answers this. They just go off on tangents and muddle down this discussion.
It may not make him a better QB at this stage of their careers...Bledsoe with tons of expereince and Romo with next to none. But it does give him an edge that Bledsoe does not have and it could ultimately make him a better QB. We will have to wait until their careers are over to argue that point.

wileedog

Reaction score
itoldyouSOE said:

No, but it gives him an edge behind a shaky O-line, which is certainly what we have here.

With a great O-line I would take Bledsoe over just about anyone in the league not named Brady or Manning. Seriously. Give him time and he will kill anyone.

But we don't have that here by a long shot, and that's why the Romo option is even brought up. As good as Bledsoe is with a strong line, he tends to make a bad line look worse.

Again, I certainly want to see Bledsoe start this season. I'm not ready to turn this thing over to a guy who hasn't thrown one pass in the regular season at all. But if the line disintigrates over the course of the season like it did last year, I would certainly start to think about it.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
wileedog said:
The guy threw 45 passes and 1 was a bad decision. He racked up 350 yards in 3 quarters of play. He would have won the game twice had WRs not dropped balls or run the right route.

I don't understand why anyone is blaming him for anything. (or Bledsoe for that matter).
Getting back to the point in the OP... I believe they're trying to say that Vandy doesn't deserve ALL the blame for the tie.

Vandy deserves some blame, yes... but Romo can be blamed to. He left some points out there.

One other instance I think some of us forget. Romo had us driving inside the Vikes 40. IIRC we were around their 30 with a 3rd and 8. Romo took a delay of game penalty, pushing us out of FG range, and the next play was an incomplete pass.

All these QB comparisons are pointless. You're comparing Romo to Vick, McNabb, Staubach, Elway, Montana... let's let him throw a regular season pass before we make those comparisons.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
wileedog said:
No, but it gives him an edge behind a shaky O-line, which is certainly what we have here.

With a great O-line I would take Bledsoe over just about anyone in the league not named Brady or Manning. Seriously. Give him time and he will kill anyone.

But we don't have that here by a long shot, and that's why the Romo option is even brought up. As good as Bledsoe is with a strong line, he tends to make a bad line look worse.

Again, I certainly want to see Bledsoe start this season. I'm not ready to turn this thing over to a guy who hasn't thrown one pass in the regular season at all. But if the line disintigrates over the course of the season like it did last year, I would certainly start to think about it.
How many times have we been sacked this preseason? I think our OL looks great in pass blocking.... knock on wood. And this is mostly without Flozell in there.

Edit: I'll give you a hint, it's more than 2, less than 4 sacks.

vlad

Reaction score
I think really what you are looking at is the fact that it is very reasonable to expect that Romo as a young QB will make those mistakes, but as a young QB it is reasonable to expect that he will also improve on that over time. And from what they were saying on the radio and the fact that Crayton got chewed out when he came back to the sidelines, that first INT was on him, not Romo.

That long pass to Copper was the first time I saw him really put some heat on the ball, that was something that wouldn't improve over time, so its nice to see he has it.

wileedog

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
How many times have we been sacked this preseason? I think our OL looks great in pass blocking.... knock on wood. And this is mostly without Flozell in there.

Edit: I'll give you a hint, it's more than 2, less than 4 sacks.

And again, I said start Bledsoe. If the line holds up, amen.

If it doesn't that is when the question of Romo is even relevant.

wileedog

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Getting back to the point in the OP... I believe they're trying to say that Vandy doesn't deserve ALL the blame for the tie.

Vandy deserves some blame, yes... but Romo can be blamed to. He left some points out there.

One other instance I think some of us forget. Romo had us driving inside the Vikes 40. IIRC we were around their 30 with a 3rd and 8. Romo took a delay of game penalty, pushing us out of FG range, and the next play was an incomplete pass.
Vandy missing two chip shots is far, far worse than anything Romo did or didn't do. If Hurd hauls in that pass or Crayton runs the right route we aren't even having this discussion.

All these QB comparisons are pointless. You're comparing Romo to Vick, McNabb, Staubach, Elway, Montana... let's let him throw a regular season pass before we make those comparisons.
Nobody anywhere has compared him in any way to those guys, other than to say perhaps he has some mobility like them.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
wileedog said:
And again, I said start Bledsoe. If the line holds up, amen.

If it doesn't that is when the question of Romo is even relevant.

You said earlier we have "a shaky OLine," and Romo's movement gives him an edge because of it.

Vandy missing two chip shots is far, far worse than anything Romo did or didn't do. If Hurd hauls in that pass or Crayton runs the right route we aren't even having this discussion.
In YOUR opinion. I read BP's lips after Romo took that delay of game penalty. "Get your head outta your ***." Not only that, he stalked him on the sideline, giving him glares, well after tha fact. Sounds like BP didn't like that mistake.

wileedog

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
You said earlier we have "a shaky OLine," and Romo's movement gives him an edge because of it.
Everyone on the planet says we have a shaky line. Pre-season against SF and NO is nice and all, but until I see this unit perform in a real game they are what they were last year - shaky.

In YOUR opinion. I read BP's lips after Romo took that delay of game penalty. "Get your head outta your ***." Not only that, he stalked him on the sideline, giving him glares, well after tha fact. Sounds like BP didn't like that mistake.
That's your argument, it was more Romo's fault because Bill yelled at him?

What do you think Bill said to Vandy after the game?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
wileedog said:
Everyone on the planet says we have a shaky line. Pre-season against SF and NO is nice and all, but until I see this unit perform in a real game they are what they were last year - shaky.

What do you think Bill said to Vandy after the game?

Delay was on Romo and BP fussed at him over it but then it is not personal BP fusses that is what he does. I don't think it changes BP opinion of Romo, just as BP fussed at Simms all the time it was not personal nor did he change how he felt about Simms as a QB

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
wileedog said:
So now you're backtracking?? I'm only responding to what you said. You said we have a shaky OL, I said they've looked great in pass protection so far... 3 sacks in 4 games is good, I don't care who you have on the OL. I'm just not ready to give up on our season and start Romo because of them.

Show me where I said that...

IMO no one deserves MORE blame. They both cost us points. Romo cost us more points, but both of them could have got the game won.

royhitshard

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I do hold Romo accountable. I also hold Bledsoe accountable. That was a horrible int in the red zone by Drew. I don't blame Vandy for not winning the game. It takes a whole team to win. I hold it against him that he missed twice. Unacceptable.
:hammer:

wileedog

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
So now you're backtracking?? I'm only responding to what you said. You said we have a shaky OL, I said they've looked great in pass protection so far... 3 sacks in 4 games is good, I don't care who you have on the OL. I'm just not ready to give up on our season and start Romo because of them.
How many times have I said Drew should be the starter Week 1? How many more times do I have to say it?

Show me where I said that...
Well it was your response to me saying it was more Vandy's fault.

IMO no one deserves MORE blame. They both cost us points. Romo cost us more points, but both of them could have got the game won.
IMO Romo did his job. Every QB - yes even Manning and Brady - make mistakes. They are part of the equation at QB. But Romo hit an open WR that would have ended the game but he dropped it. He put the kicker in a position to win it twice. He led the game tying drive and made a good play on 4th down to get the TD.

If you are going to hold Romo to some incredible standard that he's not going to make any mistakes when dropping back 45 times to pass you are going to be forever disappointed in him. Or anyone else for that matter.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Well it was your response to me saying it was more Vandy's fault.
Well my response didn't say Romo was more at fault did it?

If you are going to hold Romo to some incredible standard that he's not going to make any mistakes when dropping back 45 times to pass you are going to be forever disappointed in him. Or anyone else for that matter.
And if you're going to hold Vanderjagt to some incredible standard that he's not going to miss any kicks you are going to be forever disappointed in him.

I never said Romo has to be flawless, quit putting words in my mouth. My only point is they both deserve blame. You must truly be a romo-sexual if he gets a pass when he makes mistakes but no one else does. How you cannot see your own double standard is astonishing.

wileedog

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
You must truly be a romo-sexual
:rolleyes:

if he gets a pass when he makes mistakes but no one else does. How you cannot see your own double standard is astonishing.

Vandy missing two chip shots is worse than a QB throwing an INT but still putting his team in a position to win several times over.

Vandy failed utterly and completely at his job. A 30+ yard FG should be as automatic as it gets in the NFL, especially for a guy making $millions. One miss is almost excusable, hey stuff happens. Two misses from that distance is total failure.

Romo made a few mistakes, but overall did what he gets paid to do - put the team in a postion to win.

Was the INT Romo's fault? Yes it was. As was the delay of game penalty. Throw some blame at Romo if it makes you feel better, but those types of things come with the package at QB.

Missing <40 yard FGs does not.

Gurode played awful. Why doesn't he get his own thread about how it was more his fault that we lost than the kicker? I mean he did manage to get our starting QB knocked out.

itoldyouSOE

Reaction score
wileedog said:
:rolleyes:

Vandy missing two chip shots is worse than a QB throwing an INT but still putting his team in a position to win several times over.

Vandy failed utterly and completely at his job. A 30+ yard FG should be as automatic as it gets in the NFL, especially for a guy making $millions. One miss is almost excusable, hey stuff happens. Two misses from that distance is total failure.

Romo made a few mistakes, but overall did what he gets paid to do - put the team in a postion to win.

Was the INT Romo's fault? Yes it was. As was the delay of game penalty. Throw some blame at Romo if it makes you feel better, but those types of things come with the package at QB.

Gurode played awful. Why doesn't he get his own thread about how it was more his fault that we lost than the kicker? I mean he did manage to get our starting QB knocked out.

Bledsoe either delivered game winning drives last year (NYG, CAR, KC, SF, SD) or put his team in a position to win but was sabotaged by the kicking game (WAS, SEA, DEN). Had those kicks been made, we're 12-4. If you are going to blame Vandy last night, then blame our kicking game last year. And to follow that logic, with Bledsoe we should have been 12-4. So why do you want to replace that? Do you honestly believe last year we wuld have been 12-4 (or even 9-7) with Romo. Come on.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Again that's just YOUR OPINION. Last I checked you weren't an NFL head coach. How do you know BP puts more blame on Vandy than Romo? Actually scratch that, WHO CARES WHO GETS MORE BLAME?!?!?! They're BOTH to blame. Did Vandy fail to win the game, yes. Did Romo fail to win the game, yes. It's not a matter of Romo putting Vandy "in position" to win. Romo was "in position" to do it himself.

This is again just typical... You align yourself with one player, and then that player makes mistakes and you do whatever you can to defend him. It's never ________'s fault. Why couldn't Romo just win the game himself?? Because he too made mistakes. But following your logic, Romo washed his hands from blame by putting SOMEONE ELSE in position to win it. The reality is he had to put Vandy in position to do it only because he COULDN'T DO IT HIMSELF.

No one should be expected to do it themself, it's a team game... If the team doesn't win, they don't win. But you're not thinking of it as a team game. You're saying Vandy is solely to blame. I GUARANTEE you no one in that Dallas Cowboys locker room is blaming Vandy alone for last night's TIE. It's just fans, media, and the like. People on this board.

Actually you would expect a kicker to be MORE automatic from 20-29 yards. 30+ is NOT as automatic as it gets. You don't even excuse him for one miss... "almost excusable." You're once again holding a kicker to an impossible standard. last i checked Vandy isn't perfect for his career. Much less in the PRESEASON.

Let me see if I get this straight. Mistakes are part of the package at QB, but FG misses aren't part of the package at K?? You are unbelievable. Your support of Romo has given you tunnel vision. You sound like a Commanders fan.

Following your logic, I should be able to go look at Vandy's stats, and find that he never missed a FG < 40 yards. Well I took the liberty to do just that. Guess what I found... He's 132-140 for his career under 40 yards :eek: Oh the horror!! That must not be "part of the package" for an NFL kicker. :rolleyes:

By all means feel free. I suspect you won't get many guys agreeing with you because you all love your sacrficial lambs.

I'm not going to say Gurode deserves more blame than anybody. But that's the difference between me and you. I say the team as a whole failed to win the game. You place the blame on one guy.

The bottom line is it was a preseason game. Today we are in a four way tie for first place with a 0-0 record. You think Vandy's misses mean everything, when in fact they mean very little in the grand scheme of things.

{/Rant}

wileedog

Reaction score
itoldyouSOE said:
Bledsoe either delivered game winning drives last year (NYG, CAR, KC, SF, SD) or put his team in a position to win but was sabotaged by the kicking game (WAS, SEA, DEN).
I've always blamed the kickers more for those losses. Like I said, its the QB's job to put the team in a position to score, and Drew did that in all those games. The kickers didn't come through.

Had those kicks been made, we're 12-4. If you are going to blame Vandy last night, then blame our kicking game last year. And to follow that logic, with Bledsoe we should have been 12-4. So why do you want to replace that? Do you honestly believe last year we wuld have been 12-4 (or even 9-7) with Romo. Come on.

All I know is that Bledsoe got sacked 25 times in the last 5 games. If Romo was in there and escaping some of those sacks, maybe we sneak out another win and make the playoffs.

I don't know what Romo can do in the regular season because I haven't see him play in the regular season, which is why I have said repeatedly start Bledsoe. But if the line starts to look like it did at the end of last season with Bledose getting hammered time and again, at that point you begin to *THINK* about what Romo might be able to do. Because we know what Bledsoe *CAN'T* do when he gets that kind of pressure.

Lets hope the line holds up and we don't even have to worry about this question.