Video: Cooley's TD catch with Replay

TEK2000

Reaction score
khiladi;1777144 said:
Exxaggeration is the key to a weak argument. Considering Wade explicitly said that they were targetting run, and playing the short-zone, it obviously necessitates that the LBs were keying in on Clinton Portis. So when Bradie left Cooley, because he read play-action, it was because he thought Roy would have coverage on him, as per the game-plan.

But the fact is, Roy blew the coverage. It is right there in the tape, and no amount of exxageration can change this basic fact. Roy was clearly in a position to make a play, when Bradie left him, but he had his hips turned the wrong way, and got smoked by Cooley, who didn't even get touched.

Basically you're saying we CORRECTLY double covered Portis and single covered Cooley when the defense has tried to give Roy LBer help on many plays where he's lined up over the TE.

Bradie correctly went to the outside into the OLB's zone and then floated around in no-man's land covering no one? Are you serious?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
khiladi;1777144 said:
Exxaggeration is the key to a weak argument. Considering Wade explicitly said that they were targetting run, and playing the short-zone, it obviously necessitates that the LBs were keying in on Clinton Portis. So when Bradie left Cooley, because he read play-action, it was because he thought Roy would have coverage on him, as per the game-plan.

But the fact is, Roy blew the coverage. It is right there in the tape, and no amount of exxageration can change this basic fact. Roy was clearly in a position to make a play, when Bradie left him, but he had his hips turned the wrong way, and got smoked by Cooley, who didn't even get touched.

I think this is where you're getting confused. You don't "read play action" and jump up on the line, that's called "biting" on play action. If you "read play action" you drop back into coverage and expect the pass, and not usually to the guy that just faked taking the play-action handoff.

A team runs play action to freeze the LB's, and that's exactly what happend. Bradie hesistated because he was fooled, and Roy turned the wrong way, expecting some more help inside when he should have seen that Bradie was keying on Portis.

Wade has yet to criticize a guy in public to the media, what makes you think he'd start now? After a win? Not likely.

TEK2000

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1777125 said:
How anyone could argue anything else is a mystery. James completely blew the underneath coverage, and Roy got turned the wrong way on the deep coverage.

I don't know why people have such a hard time believing that Bradie might have made a mistake in coverage... you'd think he's been impeccable in coverage throughout his career.

adamknite

Reaction score
TEK2000;1777155 said:
I don't know why people have such a hard time believing that Bradie might have made a mistake in coverage... you'd think he's been impeccable in coverage throughout his career.

Just go back and find some threads about the time of the Saints game last year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1777125 said:
How anyone could argue anything else is a mystery. James completely blew the underneath coverage, and Roy got turned the wrong way on the deep coverage.
Starts with an A. Ends with an A. In the middle there's a GEND.

It's baffling to me too. Either that or intentional.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1777125 said:

I don't get it either. I only know Roy will get the blame no matter what.

I am a Roy 'supporter' in that if he covers like he should I'll point it out but will also fault Roy if I think it's his fault.

Last week Aikman was wrong according to some but this week he is now right.

On this play I say it's his fault just like Aikman did. Last week I said Roy had great coverage but it was an excellent throw just like Aikman did too. I was wrong for agreeing with Aikman last week but this week I am right, however I am still technically wrong because I put some blame on James too I guess. :rolleyes:

Some people are clearly showing how much of their posts are generated using football knowledge and how much is agenda.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk;1776574 said:
Someone asked James Washington what was wrnog with Roy Williams, and he offered his critique of this particular play.

He said that when you're in that "Cover 8" look (not sure what this means) and they run two vertical routes to your side of the field as the safety, you KNOW that the TE on the inside is your man, and there is absolutely no reason to break to the outside no matter what. He said Roy is a phenomenal athlete and he applauded getting him in that "nickel LB role", as he called it, but said he clearly has trouble opening his hips in coverage.

FWIW....

Troy misread the reason for Roy's mistep in coverage on that play call. Roy wasn't heading for the outside receiver, he got juked by Cooley, mistepped, and didn't recover. He knew is responsibility, and couldn't make the play anyway.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TEK2000;1777155 said:

I don't think thats it at all. This is a Roy Williams hate thread, and thats what their doing. It's the Roy Williams protectors that keep pointing at Bradie James. The ball was caught in the seam, so it was both of their coverage. James has been playing very well this year and it's always expect that players won't make every play. These guys are out to hang Roy Williams for his coverage issues, and suffered from the issues on this play.

What I don't get is why all these people are protecting Williams, because he clearly got burned and it's a weekly ordeal. THATS why the hate is flying. Everyone with a brain knows, James was partially at fault here, but he isn't at fault every game several times a game. Williams on the other hand is, and that irrefutable, except by the Roy Williams lovers on this board.

khiladi

Reaction score
TEK2000;1777152 said:
Basically you're saying we CORRECTLY double covered Portis and single covered Cooley when the defense has tried to give Roy LBer help on many plays where he's lined up over the TE.

Bradie correctly went to the outside into the OLB's zone and then floated around in no-man's land covering no one? Are you serious?

No, what I am saying for the billionth time is that Commanders ran a play-action, and Bradie did not bite, because he was playing short-zone. Portis ran up the middle and had NOT dedicated himself outside or inside. Portis didn't run at an angle, he went straight in-between the left tackled and the guard.

Who was suppose to guard Portis if he cut inside?

If Portis had broken INSIDE, then Bradie, who was clearly playing short-zone, would have had the inside route, Portis would have got a catch over the middle and ran for a a huge loadage of yardage. As soon as Portis turned outside, it was no longer Bradie's responsibility, and he dropped back into coverage.

Your whol argument is predicated on the fact that the responsibility for Portis was already declared to the OLB, when Bradie let Cooley go. Bradie clearly let Cooley go, because he was playing short-zone, and it was now Roy's responsibility to take Cooley.

That is why it is called help. Not everybody is suppose to help Roy. Roy needs to help people some of the time.

TEK2000

Reaction score
nyc;1777175 said:
I don't think thats it at all. This is a Roy Williams hate thread, and thats what their doing. It's the Roy Williams protectors that keep pointing at Bradie James. The ball was caught in the seam, so it was both of their coverage. James has been playing very well this year and it's always expect that players won't make every play. These guys are out to hang Roy Williams for his coverage issues, and suffered from the issues on this play.

What I don't get is why all these people are protecting Williams, because he clearly got burned and it's a weekly ordeal. THATS why the hate is flying. Everyone with a brain knows, James was partially at fault here, but he isn't at fault every game several times a game. Williams on the other hand is, and that irrefutable, except by the Roy Williams lovers on this board.

Basically you just said... its okay for some players to make mistakes... but if Roy gives up 3 or 4 catches a game... he sucks and shouldn't be defended.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
nyc;1777175 said:

Maybe that's the problem...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
khiladi;1777144 said:
Exaggeration is the key to a weak argument.

That's funny cuz exhaggerating is EXACTLY all you've been doing the last two weeks.

You need to learn the coverage responsibilities of the ILB's in Cover 2, then get back to me.

You don't jump the short routes if you're playing cover 2. You take away the mid/deep stuff and come up to make tackles if they throw short. If James was waiting to see if Portis was gonna run inside the HE SCREWED UP.

TEK2000;1777152 said:

:hammer:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TEK2000;1777184 said:
Basically you just said... its okay for some players to make mistakes... but if Roy gives up 3 or 4 catches a game... he sucks and shouldn't be defended.

No I didn't. I said Roy Williams has coverage issues every game and team game plan to explot his coverage issues. They do not do that for Bradie, because Bradie plays better coverage. (at least this season he is)

TEK2000

Reaction score
khiladi;1777179 said:
No, what I am saying for the billionth time is that Commanders ran a play-action, and Bradie did not bite, because he was playing short-zone. Portis ran up the middle and had NOT dedicated himself outside or inside. Portis didn't run at an angle, he went straight in-between the left tackled and the guard.

Who was suppose to guard Portis if he cut inside?

If Portis had broken INSIDE, then Bradie, who was clearly playing short-zone, would have had the inside route, Portis would have got a catch over the middle and ran for a a huge loadage of yardage. As soon as Portis turned outside, it was no longer Bradie's responsibility, and he dropped back into coverage.

Your whol argument is predicated on the fact that the responsibility for Portis was already declared to the OLB, when Bradie let Cooley go. Bradie clearly let Cooley go, because he was playing short-zone, and it was now Roy's responsibility to take Cooley.

That is why it is called help. Not everybody is suppose to help Roy. Roy needs to help people some of the time.

What happens if the WR on the outside runs a deep route and Cooley runs the same route?

Who covers Cooley then? Bradie James getting deep down the field perhaps?

There are holes in zones defenses. I can't imagine a defense where the hole in the zone is supposed to be 20 yards downfield in the direct middle of the field between the 2 safeties because we are more concerned about the RB running an 5 yard route.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
TEK2000;1777203 said:
What happens if the WR on the outside runs a deep route and Cooley runs the same route?

Who covers Cooley then? Bradie James getting deep down the field perhaps?

There are holes in zones defenses. I can't imagine a defense where the hole in the zone is supposed to be 20 yards downfield in the direct middle of the field between the 2 safeties because we are more concerned about the RB running an 5 yard route.

:lmao2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;1777187 said:
Maybe that's the problem...

This is what is happening in this thread.

1. People hate on Roy Williams because of his continued coverage issues
  2. Roy Williams lovers, protect Roy Williams and blame Bradie James
  3. Roy Williams haters, do not disagree about James' issues in the play, but point out that teams game plan to explot Williams weak coverage
  4. Roy Williams lovers, rinse and repeat list item 2.

TEK2000

Reaction score
nyc;1777210 said:
This is what is happening in this thread.
  1. People hate on Roy Williams because of his continued coverage issues
  2. Roy Williams lovers, protect Roy Williams and blame Bradie James
  3. Roy Williams haters, do not disagree about James' issues in the play, but point out that teams game plan to explot Williams weak coverage
  4. Roy Williams lovers, rinse and repeat list item 2.

And you have reading comprehension issues if that's what you really think is going on here.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TEK2000;1777222 said:
And you have reading comprehension issues if that's what you really think is going on here.

And what are you saying? Williams wasn't at fault here?

TEK2000

Reaction score
nyc;1777227 said:
And what are you saying? Williams wasn't at fault here?

As I've said all along.

Roy Williams screwed up and turned his hips the wrong way.. mistake by Roy.
Bradie James didn't get deep enough and take away the easy passing lane between Cooley and Campbell... mistake by Bradie.

It was a GOOD play by the offense and we (as a team) made some mistakes to make it easy for the offense.

khiladi

Reaction score
Idgit;1777163 said:
Troy misread the reason for Roy's mistep in coverage on that play call. Roy wasn't heading for the outside receiver, he got juked by Cooley, mistepped, and didn't recover. He knew is responsibility, and couldn't make the play anyway.

Exactly... Roy got smoked...

He was clearly in a position to make the play, was running straight at Cooley before the ball was even thrown, and that is why his hips were still facing the sideline...