Video: TO telling teammate play was to Fasano

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
abersonc;1121634 said:
Over and over again -- I've made that point that Bledsoe isn't an idiot - he's a poor fit with a mediocre line. Folks can spend all day analyzing a photo -- but all they are doing is picking the one play that support their beliefs. Folks can call him an idiot, say he sucks, but that fails to recognize there is plenty of blame to go around -- it also fails to recognize that we still had problems with another QB at the helm.

I didn't respond to you b/c that argument was clearly spelled out in my previous posts.

He's always been a poor fit for a mediocre line. But, the problem now is he's even worse than that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You know, one of the things that I'm always amazed over is the fact that we can't seem to get good blitz pick up from our backs. I mean, I don't know if it's the assignment, the recognition or what. I can't say that it's bad technique because most times, the back is not there in time to check the blitz. It will be interesting to see if Romo helps here. In the backs defense, I don't know how you design a blitz pick up on that middle blitz that gets there quickly enough from where they line the back up from under center. There is just no physical way the back can get there, especially when the QB is between he and the assignment. I've always wondered if it was Drew not getting away from the center quickly enough or if it was something in the blocking scheme. Will be interesting to see.

sf49rh8r

Reaction score
abersonc;1120906 said:
None of you know who the play was designed for - you read it in Vela's blog and you think you read TO's lips. Don't come here and pretend like you are football experts because you read someone's interpretation of the play.

Every QB in this league has a favorite receiver he tends to look to first. Glenn scored a bunch of TDs with Drew -- many i'm sure on plays not desiged to go to him initially.

That was a crap play and Drew's play has been crap this year. I've got no problem with the switch.

What I do have an issue with is know it alls who don't recognize that maybe if your QB is getting guys come clean to smack him 8-10 times a half that his decision making isn't going to get muddled. Drew doesn't stink as a QB -- he just is a horrible fit for a team with a poor OL.

This is probably already stated but BP said in his PC that Bleedslow went to the wrong side and it was this improvising that finalized his decision to make a switch. If someone else has already stated this I apologize. I'm still reading the post.

sf49rh8r

Reaction score
abersonc;1121634 said:
Over and over again -- I've made that point that Bledsoe isn't an idiot - he's a poor fit with a mediocre line. Folks can spend all day analyzing a photo -- but all they are doing is picking the one play that support their beliefs. Folks can call him an idiot, say he sucks, but that fails to recognize there is plenty of blame to go around -- it also fails to recognize that we still had problems with another QB at the helm.

I didn't respond to you b/c that argument was clearly spelled out in my previous posts.

Poor fit....everywhere he has played it must have been a poor fit with a mediocre line. New England and the Jets too. I was discussing his play last night (after softball and a few beers) with a long time Patriots fan. He backed up the fact that these types of plays aren't new to Bleedslow. That's been his MO for years. Just straight brain fart decision making and holding on to the ball too long. Remember Brady took over the same line and won Super Bowl. We should be so lucky with Romo.

sf49rh8r

Reaction score
alancdc;1121636 said:
Love MB III coming out of the backfield and running downhill.

MBIII has been my choice over JJ for a while now. Blocks better. Catches better. Runs harder.

sf49rh8r

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1121727 said:
You know, one of the things that I'm always amazed over is the fact that we can't seem to get good blitz pick up from our backs. I mean, I don't know if it's the assignment, the recognition or what. I can't say that it's bad technique because most times, the back is not there in time to check the blitz. It will be interesting to see if Romo helps here. In the backs defense, I don't know how you design a blitz pick up on that middle blitz that gets there quickly enough from where they line the back up from under center. There is just no physical way the back can get there, especially when the QB is between he and the assignment. I've always wondered if it was Drew not getting away from the center quickly enough or if it was something in the blocking scheme. Will be interesting to see.

Bottom line: The change will do us good. Now it's time for BP and the OC to design a package that best fits Romo's gifts.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra;1121452 said:
but there is no excusing a deliberate decision to counter a well designed play with an inexplicable refusal or inability to follow protocol.

I bet he was scared to death of throwing in the same direction that resulted in a pick six against Philly.

sf49rh8r

Reaction score
Boom;1121759 said:
I bet he was scared to death of throwing in the same direction that resulted in a pick six against Philly.
I hope Tony has short term memory and forgets about that play.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
sf49rh8r;1121745 said:
Poor fit....everywhere he has played it must have been a poor fit with a mediocre line. New England and the Jets too. I was discussing his play last night (after softball and a few beers) with a long time Patriots fan. He backed up the fact that these types of plays aren't new to Bleedslow. That's been his MO for years. Just straight brain fart decision making and holding on to the ball too long. Remember Brady took over the same line and won Super Bowl. We should be so lucky with Romo.

Hmm. Then how did Drew manage these stats?

5th all-time pass completions.
7th all-time pass yards.
13th all-time pass TDs.
4 probowls

And remember - Drew lost his job in NE due to injury not performance.

I'm not saying he isn't done -- but you make it sound like he's been awful for his entire career -- and that clearly isn't the case.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc;1121792 said:

7th all-time pass yards.
13th all-time pass TDs.
4 probowls

I'm not saying he isn't done -- but you make it sound like he's been awful for his entire career -- and that clearly isn't the case.
Many of those are due to sheer longevity without being injured. Has he sat out an entire game since losing the job to Brady?

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc;1121792 said:

7th all-time pass yards.
13th all-time pass TDs.
4 probowls

Vinny and Dave Kreig have nice stats too. Doesnt mean they dont SUCK at quarterback.

You set yourself up for that one.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
abersonc;1121792 said:

7th all-time pass yards.
13th all-time pass TDs.
4 probowls

If course, he hasn't been awful his entire career, but going back to as far as the Pete Carroll years, a good deal of his putting up huge numbers was predicated on comebacks - stupid decisions leading to the need for subsequent aerial displays. Bledsoe at one time was the league leader in comebacks..but further analysis usually indicated the reason a comeback was necessary was the QB himself.

There were a fair amount of those high scoring comebacks even under Tuna.

He lost his job in 2001, but by 1999, many Pats fans and a good share of the media had concluded he was a mid-range level qb. His draft pick status more than anything is what others based his 'eliteness on'. That and the passing stats which were based on his one undeniable asset - his strong arm.

dboyz

Reaction score
abersonc;1121448 said:
That is certainly a huge part of it -- but the other part is Bill saying Drew needed to be well protected to be effective. They go hand in hand -- the guy gets hurried and slips into bad habits.

Clean pocket against the Commanders, Titans, and Texans, and you see 3 very solid games. Hurried against Jax, NYG, and Philly and you see mistakes.

Mediocre line + Bledsoe = Bad Fit.

One of the reasons I support the change is that even in the games where he had clean pockets as you point out Commanders, Titans and Texans, Drew still did just ok, not great. And with the weapons he had I thought it should be better.

dboyz

Reaction score
To address abersonc's point about analyzing this one play...

It's only fair to pick apart this play if it is illustrative of a pattern of behavior, and I think it is illustrative. I also don't think Parcells would have pulled him if it was the first time it ever happened.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
abersonc;1121295 said:
I'm arguing that we can't look at specific plays in a vacuum. Folks are looking at this play and saying "Drew is an idiot -- Fasano was open -- The play was designed to go to him"

There is a context to every play -- the protection leading up to the play,how often QBs in the league improvise, the success of the improvisational plays in the past (e.g., Drew and Terry do this all the time), the actual play call, and the actual reads Drew did or didn't make. I'm also amused that folks are taking as evidence, what they think T.O. is saying - if you had a camera on T.O. after every incomplete pass, you'll see him say "I was open" - are we going to take that as truth as well? Also, you can't put everything on Drew. He has sucked eggs this year -- part of that is certainly on him, a big part -- but part is on the OL and a big part is on the staff for failing to match their QB to an OL that fit his abilities.

No doubt the Oline has looked bad, but in cases where the OLine has held defenders (and defenses have sent just a 4man front), he has STILL struggled. That was the case Monday against NYGiants and if you look at the video, against Philadelphia on the Lito Sheppard INT/TD. He had a clear throwing lane and no pressure on him...

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v22/pfjunkie/INT1.jpg

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Boom;1121759 said:

You know what, that's not a bad thought. It's twisted and wrong, but it could have entered Drew's head.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
Bizwah;1120873 said:
You're right....

Barber has a ton of room to run.

Fasano appears to be wide open.

How did we not score there?

God wanted Romo. :lmao:

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
The funny part is Bledsoe *****ing and moaning on the sidelines praying that Madison was out of bounds. :lmao2: What a tool...

I'm sorry but Bledsoe just strikes me as that goofy nerdy kid with no coordination that just so happens to grown into a 6'5" frame with a rocket arm. Kinda like that 6'8" kid that really has no business playing basketball but does.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra;1121843 said:
He lost his job in 2001, but by 1999, many Pats fans and a good share of the media had concluded he was a mid-range level qb.

This is very true. I'm surrounded by Pats fans everywhere here in the Boston area. They feel for us, yet also laugh because they gave up on him for the same reasons and are so glad they don't have to deal with his heartbreaks anymore.