Video: TO telling teammate play was to Fasano

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
abersonc;1120906 said:
None of you know who the play was designed for - you read it in Vela's blog and you think you read TO's lips. Don't come here and pretend like you are football experts because you read someone's interpretation of the play.

Every QB in this league has a favorite receiver he tends to look to first. Glenn scored a bunch of TDs with Drew -- many i'm sure on plays not desiged to go to him initially.

That was a crap play and Drew's play has been crap this year. I've got no problem with the switch.

What I do have an issue with is know it alls who don't recognize that maybe if your QB is getting guys come clean to smack him 8-10 times a half that his decision making isn't going to get muddled. Drew doesn't stink as a QB -- he just is a horrible fit for a team with a poor OL.

Bill said in his press conference it was designed to go to the other side. That seems like a pretty good source to me. Seems like he has the playbook...no :lmao:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
abersonc;1120986 said:
I'm wondering how you got that from the clip or the photo. seems pretty damn near impossible to track a QBs vision - I mean if we can, why wouldn't every defender on the field be able to?

Photos are a very important part of today's NFL. Every time they show a sideline shot they seem to show players looking at stills from upstairs.

Why can't someone else look at the same photos and not see the play developing?

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Alexander;1121149 said:
A completely forgotten point that is ignored.

His decisions even without pressure have been bad and inexcusable.
Agreed.

Much like his last Sheppard INT against Philly. The play of the OLine looks almost like a mirror image of the Oline play in this Madison INT. There's no real pressure on Bledsoe, the Oline's holding, Bledsoe has a clear passing lane.

Here's video: (YouTube seems to be removing these kinds of videos for "Copyright Infringement" so dunno how long the link will be good)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w69UYHW424

wileedog

Reaction score
abersonc;1121242 said:
Keep in mind -- the QB pretty much has to sit back there and trust that the line is going to keep guys off him -- he's not looking so much at the rush as the receivers. Drew went back to pass 16 times -- and he got hit about 9 or 10 times. That makes a QB assume pressure that isn't there -- is some of that his fault for being slow? Hell yes. Is some of that the line's fault. Absolutely. But you put those two together and you get crap. Plays like this are exactly what you expect when you match a slow QB and a mediocre line.

I don't agree in the slightest.

Drew made up his mind where the ball was going before he took the snap. There is no question in my mind of this, he never even looked to the right side, despite the fact that the play was specifically designed to go there. He dropped back quickly, staring at a well covered Glenn the whole way, and fired a strike to Madison.

That has nothing to do with pressure, or expecting to get hit. That's making a poor decision before the play even starts.

You can't win with a QB doing that in this league. And given the offensive performance this season, I think this was just the (hopefully) last time of many when he did this.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
wileedog;1121249 said:
I don't agree in the slightest.

Drew made up his mind where the ball was going before he took the snap. There is no question in my mind of this, he never even looked to the right side, despite the fact that the play was specifically designed to go there. He dropped back quickly, staring at a well covered Glenn the whole way, and fired a strike to Madison.

That has nothing to do with pressure, or expecting to get hit. That's making a poor decision before the play even starts.

You can't win with a QB doing that in this league. And given the offensive performance this season, I think this was just the (hopefully) last time of many when he did this.
Actually he looked to the right immediately after the snap. It looks to be more of a misdirection glance rather than him looking at the receivers (as none of them were even close to finishing their routes), but then he immediately locks on to Glenn and throws.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
abersonc;1121242 said:
Keep in mind -- the QB pretty much has to sit back there and trust that the line is going to keep guys off him -- he's not looking so much at the rush as the receivers. Drew went back to pass 16 times -- and he got hit about 9 or 10 times. That makes a QB assume pressure that isn't there -- is some of that his fault for being slow? Hell yes. Is some of that the line's fault. Absolutely. But you put those two together and you get crap. Plays like this are exactly what you expect when you match a slow QB and a mediocre line.

So, when he makes a good play, is he not trusting the line to hold up for him? I'm sorry, but you just can't have it both ways.

Of him getting hit 9 or 10 times, one is certainly his fault (as pointed out by BP when Strahan was supposed to come free), how many others could also be his fault, because he forgot to recognize at the line, or he just held the ball too long? I'd wager at least half, maybe even more.

No QB gets perfect protection in the pocket. That's why they shift a little bit to avoid the rush - at least the good ones do - and still make the play. Drew can't even shift, has lost his ability to read progressions, still holds the ball too long, and still gets sacked when he shouldn't be.

I don't know what you're arguing in this situation. Drew was clearly at fault here. He felt a non-existent rush, went to the wrong side of the field, missed two open receivers because of it, and threw an interception in the red zone from four yards out. He did everything wrong.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
EPL0c0;1121247 said:
Agreed.

Much like his last Sheppard INT against Philly. The play of the OLine looks almost like a mirror image of the Oline play in this Madison INT. There's no real pressure on Bledsoe, the Oline's holding, Bledsoe has a clear passing lane.

Here's video: (YouTube seems to be removing these kinds of videos for "Copyright Infringement" so dunno how long the link will be good)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w69UYHW424

A quick pass to Crayton on that play looked like a winner as well. Maybe not a touchdown but he wasn't double covered. When you look at that play he threw into double coverage where the receiver was not in a position to catch it at all.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
What is worse is that he has a clean pocket with time to throw and Bledsoe said afterwords he should have just thrown the ball away.:banghead:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1121259 said:
I don't know what you're arguing in this situation. Drew was clearly at fault here. He felt a non-existent rush, went to the wrong side of the field, missed two open receivers because of it, and threw an interception in the red zone from four yards out. He did everything wrong.

I'm arguing that we can't look at specific plays in a vacuum. Folks are looking at this play and saying "Drew is an idiot -- Fasano was open -- The play was designed to go to him"

There is a context to every play -- the protection leading up to the play,how often QBs in the league improvise, the success of the improvisational plays in the past (e.g., Drew and Terry do this all the time), the actual play call, and the actual reads Drew did or didn't make. I'm also amused that folks are taking as evidence, what they think T.O. is saying - if you had a camera on T.O. after every incomplete pass, you'll see him say "I was open" - are we going to take that as truth as well? Also, you can't put everything on Drew. He has sucked eggs this year -- part of that is certainly on him, a big part -- but part is on the OL and a big part is on the staff for failing to match their QB to an OL that fit his abilities.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
abersonc;1121295 said:
I'm arguing that we can't look at specific plays in a vacuum. Folks are looking at this play and saying "Drew is an idiot -- Fasano was open -- The play was designed to go to him"

we've got a lot of plays that show drew is an idiot, this one is just the one that finally caught up to him, that's all.

not followed the whole thread but from what i followed, i just don't get why you're so defensive about this "one" play.

carry on - i'm gonna go grout tile or something.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
iceberg;1121313 said:
we've got a lot of plays that show drew is an idiot, this one is just the one that finally caught up to him, that's all.

not followed the whole thread but from what i followed, i just don't get why you're so defensive about this "one" play.

carry on - i'm gonna go grout tile or something.

just trying to bring some perspective here - crap play yes? but if you want to judge a performance then break down every play, don't base your judgement of a guy on the worst play you see.

LD Fan

Reaction score
abersonc;1121242 said:
Keep in mind -- the QB pretty much has to sit back there and trust that the line is going to keep guys off him -- he's not looking so much at the rush as the receivers.

Actually, that's what his critics have claimed, that he IS looking at the rush and not the receivers. You're right, it should be the other way around.

LD Fan

Reaction score
abersonc;1121331 said:
just trying to bring some perspective here - crap play yes? but if you want to judge a performance then break down every play, don't base your judgement of a guy on the worst play you see.

Parcells did not make this change based on this one play. It is just a prime example of his behavior. I have no doubt the coaching staff has broken down every single play of the year like this and they obviously saw a pattern and couldn't fix it. It probably goes back a few years actually.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
sad_otter;1120923 said:
Didn't Parcells say in the post-game PC that the play was designed to go to the other side (not Terry)?

And that should be the definitive conclusion.

No need for lip reading.:laugh1:

The head coach who benched the player for the 'decision' clearly laid out the reason why.

wileedog

Reaction score
abersonc;1121331 said:

The problem is that play epitomizes everything that is wrong with Drew.

- Didn't go with the play design
- Bad read of the defense. Even if he abolutely positively had to throw it to Glenn, you don't throw a quick out on press coverage.
- Feeling a rush that wasn't there
- Failure to go through progressions
- His comment later? "I should have thrown it away." 3 viable options to throw it to, and they were barely glanced at, and he thinks there was nothing there. No field awareness whatsoever.

These are traits he has demonstrated time and time again. Heck the only thing he didn't do that he normally does is hold on the ball too long. And ironically that probably would have saved him on this play.

Context is neat and all, but its not like Drew was getting jail breaks on play after play (like the Eagles game) or that some of the hits he took weren't his own fault. He was certainly harrassed as much, if not worse last year in games like KC and still managed not to completely melt down as he did on this play.

Yes, the Olne bears some responsiblity. But the point is a whole lot of other QBs in this league score a TD on that play. Probably most of them. Having Steve Hutchinson at OG on that play probably wouldn't have changed the results either.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
abersonc, we can send a ladder down so you can climb out of that hole you've dug for youself... ;)

odog422

Reaction score

dmq;1121262 said:
What is worse is that he has a clean pocket with time to throw and Bledsoe said afterwords he should have just thrown the ball away.:banghead:

Abersonc, honestly, I've read through this thread and all I can come up with is you're just being contrary. Arguing for arguments sake. Is your point we have a bad line so DB suffers? I don't get it. What is your point?

saspurstx21

Reaction score
Bledsoe did the same thing last year.. remember the final play against the Raiders?? Instead of passing to a wide open Witten for the GW, he tries to force feed it to his favorite receiver, Terry Glenn who's double covered. Thank God Romos in town!