Video: Vintage Romo

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Only 2009 actually, let's use an indicator of what matters. And that defense fell apart in the playoff loss just like the 2016 defense did(which was also a top 10 defense).
Point them out for me.

Points Allowed
2006 20th
2007 13th
2008 20th
2009 2nd
2010 31st
2011 16th
2012 24th
2013 26th
2014 15th

Defensive Passer Rating
2006 20th
2007 5th
2008 20th
2009 16th
2010 29th
2011 25th
2012 29th
2013 26th
2014 13th

Total yards allowed 9th in 2007, 8th in 2008, 9th in 2009. When you look up points you have to look at how many points are given up by the defense.

In 2008 the defense gave up 30 touchdowns, they were 7th in touchdowns against. Special teams gave up 2 tds 1 kr and 1 blocked kick. Offense gave up 3 fumble return for td, 1 int return for a td. Our defense gave up 5th fewest yards per play but somehow gave up the most field goal attempts in the league with 44 FGA and 38 FGM. Which to me probably is our offense giving our defense short fields with our team being -11 in turnover differential.

We all know that those 2006-2009 teams were good enough to win the superbowl. How many pro bowl/hall of famers were on those teams on both sides of the ball. We had so much talent and they under performed so badly. It doesn't all fall on Romo's shoulders everyone deserves blame.

Someone brought up 2016 we were 14th in yards allowed. 5th in points. But we all know the offense carried that defense with being 2nd in TOP and the offense barely turning the ball over.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Our OL fell apart against Minnesota but not as bad as it did against Atlanta last season. Romo was sacked 6 times against Minnesota, while Dak was sacked 8 times and avoided several more against Atlanta. Romo would have never survived the Atlanta game. I can’t recall ever seeing a team suffer a breakdown on the OL like we did at LT against Atlanta. What was happening to Chaz Green was shocking to watch. It had everyone talking about it.

I believe Dak took 6 sacks in the first half alone. Our OL was a huge problem against Minnesota in the playoffs in 09 but our defense was also a huge problem. Favre tossed 4 TD passes and Sydney Rice put up over 140 on us.

then you should go back and watch some games if you are going to make these statements. this Romo couldn't hold up stuff is the funniest stuff ever.

The guy was hammered for years and got back up. Everytime. Go watch the 2011 miami game, the 2012 tampa bay game, the 2008 philly game etc.

he took a beating and got right back up. Most importantly Romo took a beating often and played at a high level. Dak got hit a few times last year and turned into a completely different player. He looked lost at times. Romo also had better pocket presence and escape ability and got out of about a thousand situations where he should have been sacked and turned them into big plays. Like this one.

The question you and everyone else who spouts this phony Romo couldn't take the beating stuff is can Dak? It didnt look like Dak can get hit in a game and stay playing at a high level to me.

Romo was nearly killed vs Tampa in 2012 and he hung in there and helped win the game. I dont have to tell you about SF in 2011 or his comeback from injury in the 2014 season either.

Romo got killed in this game and hung in there.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Can we stop romanticizing the Romo years? He was just as complicit as JJ in maintaining the mediocrity. He didn't give a damn about winning anything he got his place at the Jones and table and family vacations.

Gator88

Reaction score
Can we stop romanticizing the Romo years? He was just as complicit as JJ in maintaining the mediocrity. He didn't give a damn about winning anything he got his place at the Jones and table and family vacations.
lol

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
The Romo years had no glory. The Glory died in the mid-90's.
Romo just put some smiles on certain people's faces and we have nothing to show for it, but some nice stats in losing games... and some RS wins. Yay.

Good Lord, how far we have fallen.

weird. I enjoyed a lot of those games and the atmosphere in the stadium was pretty great.

Nothing to show for it?

I guess Dan Marino, Barry Sanders, Randy Moss's etc..etc.. careers had no glory.

trent differs career ---glory.
Dan Marino's career ---No glory.

ok then.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
then you should go back and watch some games if you are going to make these statements. this Romo couldn't hold up stuff is the funniest stuff ever.

The guy was hammered for years and got back up. Everytime. Go watch the 2011 miami game, the 2012 tampa bay game, the 2008 philly game etc.

he took a beating and got right back up. Most importantly Romo took a beating often and played at a high level. Dak got hit a few times last year and turned into a completely different player. He looked lost at times. Romo also had better pocket presence and escape ability and got out of about a thousand situations where he should have been sacked and turned them into big plays. Like this one.

The question you and everyone else who spouts this phony Romo couldn't take the beating stuff is can Dak? It didnt look like Dak can get hit in a game and stay playing at a high level to me.

Romo was nearly killed vs Tampa in 2012 and he hung in there and helped win the game. I dont have to tell you about SF in 2011 or his comeback from injury in the 2014 season either.

The beatings ended up costing him his job, getting him released and retiring him. Not saying Romo wasn’t tough but the beatings caught up with him. Care to disagree? He missed 10 games due to injury in 2010. From 2013 to 2016 he missed games with injuries and suffered three different back injuries. As beat up as he was by 2016 no way would he have been able to hold up against Atlanta last year. What caused Dak to struggle was the loss of Zeke for 6 games and our OL struggling due to Tyron’s back situation. Dak was sacked 22 times the final 8 games of the season.

Gator88

Reaction score
Total yards allowed 9th in 2007, 8th in 2008, 9th in 2009. When you look up points you have to look at how many points are given up by the defense.

In 2008 the defense gave up 30 touchdowns, they were 7th in touchdowns against. Special teams gave up 2 tds 1 kr and 1 blocked kick. Offense gave up 3 fumble return for td, 1 int return for a td. Our defense gave up 5th fewest yards per play but somehow gave up the most field goal attempts in the league with 44 FGA and 38 FGM. Which to me probably is our offense giving our defense short fields with our team being -11 in turnover differential.

We all know that those 2006-2009 teams were good enough to win the superbowl. How many pro bowl/hall of famers were on those teams on both sides of the ball. We had so much talent and they under performed so badly. It doesn't all fall on Romo's shoulders everyone deserves blame.

Someone brought up 2016 we were 14th in yards allowed. 5th in points. But we all know the offense carried that defense with being 2nd in TOP and the offense barely turning the ball over.
Yards allowed is not very meaningful. You failed to mention in that turnover differential that there were only 7 defenses that caused fewer turnovers than Dallas did that year, so you can't just absolve the defense of blame, they weren't pulling their fair share regarding turnovers either. Sure the 2016 team was helped by the offense not committing turnovers, but they also did a much better job than any of the teams that Romo was the QB for in actually getting turnovers.

As for the bolded, they really weren't. The only team that was built well enough to have a legitimate shot was 2007, but they weren't beating the Pats that year, and TO's injury really highlighted the weakness in the oline that would only get worse over the next few years.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
The beatings ended up costing him his job, getting him released and retiring him. Not saying Romo wasn’t tough but the beatings caught up with him. Care to disagree? He missed 10 games due to injury in 2010. From 2013 to 2016 he missed games with injuries and suffered three different back injuries. As beat up as he was by 2016 no way would he have been able to hold up against Atlanta last year.

The beatings cost him his career, yes like most football players. he played 13 seasons and essentially 10 as the starter and took a beating and kept going.

Now you are changing the topic. You and many others keep referring to romo as not being able to get hit EVER. Don't change your viewpoint now and turn it into I mean this year.

another thing is Romo on the field most likely would have done something to help his offensive line. He was in control on the field. Dak is not there yet. So I do not believe Romo would have allowed himself to get hit like that.

and another thing players with broken collarbones can't play qb. If you think this is a romo wasnt a tough player nonsense thing do some research. Look at Rodgers.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
When you look up points you have to look at how many points are given up by the defense.
Let's do that, using the defensive metrics with the highest correlation to wins in the NFL.

Cowboys' average defensive rank in points per drive, drive success rate, and defensive pass rating
2006 21st
2007 13th
2008 14th
2009 10th
2010 26th
2011 22nd
2012 27th
2013 29th
2014 18th

Now you can say you learned something today.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
This is vintage Romo To me.

And for those who Do not remember He pulled this exact play off a few weeks before this in a game at washington. he spun out and hit witten to setup the GW FG and of course it famously was blocked and returned by sean taylor.

Vintage Romo to me is Romo coming back at Arizona down 10 with a few minutes to go and forcing overtime with big plays to barber and crayton.

or keeping his cool and bringing the team back at buffalo in 2007 after his worst day as a pro.

this thread has motivated me to go add some more plays to the youtube channel. I will start with that one to Witten at washington in 06 with brad and charlie.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
More Vintage Romo. Overcomes a mistake and plays at a high level. This game was nuts as a fan in the stadium.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The beatings cost him his career, yes like most football players. he played 13 seasons and essentially 10 as the starter and took a beating and kept going.

Now you are changing the topic. You and many others keep referring to romo as not being able to get hit EVER. Don't change your viewpoint now and turn it into I mean this year.

another thing is Romo on the field most likely would have done something to help his offensive line. He was in control on the field. Dak is not there yet. So I do not believe Romo would have allowed himself to get hit like that.

and another thing players with broken collarbones can't play qb. If you think this is a romo wasnt a tough player nonsense thing do some research. Look at Rodgers.

No one is changing the topic you’re twisting my comments and posting BS about what I said. Where did I refer to Romo never being able to take a hit ever? I never made a comment like that and not once have I questioned his toughness. Knock off the agenda! I was referring to where his body was by 2016. He was beat up by then from being tough and taking a lot of hits. He played hurt a number of times like he did against SF in OT several years ago but the hits caught up with him and practically every time he got slammed to the turf something broke.

By 2016 he was an aging player who had become injury prone. Do you honestly think he would’ve held up hitting the turf as many times as Dak did against Atlanta last year? This isn’t about questioning Romo’s toughness, even the toughest players bodies begin to break down at some point from years of wear and tear. Read my comments instead of twisting them.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
This is vintage Romo To me.

And for those who Do not remember He pulled this exact play off a few weeks before this in a game at washington. he spun out and hit witten to setup the GW FG and of course it famously was blocked and returned by sean taylor.

Vintage Romo to me is Romo coming back at Arizona down 10 with a few minutes to go and forcing overtime with big plays to barber and crayton.

or keeping his cool and bringing the team back at buffalo in 2007 after his worst day as a pro.

this thread has motivated me to go add some more plays to the youtube channel. I will start with that one to Witten at washington in 06 with brad and charlie.

Coming back against bad to mediocre teams is what Romo is known for. That’s great, but we want players known for stepping up their game when the season is on the line. Unfortunately, that was not Romo. It also wasn’t his teammates either.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
weird. I enjoyed a lot of those games and the atmosphere in the stadium was pretty great.

Nothing to show for it?

I guess Dan Marino, Barry Sanders, Randy Moss's etc..etc.. careers had no glory.

trent differs career ---glory.
Dan Marino's career ---No glory.

ok then.
Exactly. I'm glad you're getting it.
They had great moments and great stats, even great seasons which culminated in great careers, but no Glory.

Dilfer had a moment of glory. Sorry, but he did.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I do think Dak is pretty tough. More time will tell.

Big_D

Reaction score
It boiled down to coaching, defense, the run game. A lot of poor decisions on Jerrys part. Things could've been better for Romo, unfortunately for him the owner of the team is a moron. In 2007, he needed better coaching. That passing attack was very good and basically the only thing that kept them afloat. They sucked scoring points on the ground. And basically unclutch in every aspect. Can't expect it from the QB, but no one else. He was a product of an organization that always shoots itself in the foot. Same deal today, different QB.