Video: Vintage Romo

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Then if that is the case the ball was forced and was a bad decision. Should have checked down to Murray who was open then. I just thought it was great defense. But ball would have been broken up and looking at 3rd and 16 instead of picking up yards with Murray

Exactly. He should have checked down to Murray. This was the seminal play that lost the game. People want to argue defense, but the Broncos needed only a field goal to win it.

Vomit

Reaction score
Ya we lost, we had a terrible defense. In my opinion Dallas wasted his career. I still think he was a hell of a quarterback
I agree. What a shame....and really sad that a LOT of Dallas fans thought he was no good.

Big_D

Reaction score
Ya we lost, we had a terrible defense. In my opinion Dallas wasted his career. I still think he was a hell of a quarterback

I definitely agree with that. A dam good player wasted by this front office.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It boiled down to coaching, defense, the run game. A lot of poor decisions on Jerrys part. Things could've been better for Romo, unfortunately for him the owner of the team is a moron. In 2007, he needed better coaching. That passing attack was very good and basically the only thing that kept them afloat. They sucked scoring points on the ground. And basically unclutch in every aspect. Can't expect it from the QB, but no one else. He was a product of an organization that always shoots itself in the foot. Same deal today, different QB.
Romo mentioned during a broadcast that he would pass out of the running look near the goal line and play dumb when Murray would come back to the sidelines asking about it. Said it was a good way to pad TD numbers and all QBs should do it.

Could part of the reason we sucked at scoring on the ground be that we passed more than we should have in those situations?

I remember one of the major complaints between 2011-2013 was the team would abandon the run. Maybe the offense would have been more efficient if we started running the ball more prior to 2014.

Big_D

Reaction score
Romo mentioned during a broadcast that he would pass out of the running look near the goal line and play dumb when Murray would come back to the sidelines asking about it. Said it was a good way to pad TD numbers and all QBs should do it.

Could part of the reason we sucked at scoring on the ground be that we passed more than we should have in those situations?

I remember one of the major complaints between 2011-2013 was the team would abandon the run. Maybe the offense would have been more efficient if we started running the ball more prior to 2014.

That is definitely part of the reason and that's on coaching.. That seemed to be the on going excuse and still exists today for Dak. Very odd. Running cures a lot and I think they would've been a much more efficient offense if they drafted in that direction and utilized it during the Romo era. Could've built a serious contender with some quality pieces already in place. 11 years later it's the same deal with a different QB, poor play calling, empty backfield, the audible excuse, can't manage a clock and they actually have a line and a RB? The common denominator is Jerry and the coach. Unfortunately more talent will be wasted.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Let's do that, using the defensive metrics with the highest correlation to wins in the NFL.

Cowboys' average defensive rank in points per drive, drive success rate, and defensive pass rating
2006 21st
2007 13th
2008 14th
2009 10th
2010 26th
2011 22nd
2012 27th
2013 29th
2014 18th

Now you can say you learned something today.
Lol you can pull any stat out to fit your narrative. If the offense consistently turns the ball over in their own territory and defense holds them to a fg it counts against defense in points per drive. Defenses are ranked by yards allowed and points allowed. Fact is dallas was a top 10 defense in yards allowed in 2007-09. I can honestly say I would take any of those defenses as our current defense now and they would be better than the defense we have currently.

Sorry to burst your Romo loving bubble.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yards allowed is not very meaningful. You failed to mention in that turnover differential that there were only 7 defenses that caused fewer turnovers than Dallas did that year, so you can't just absolve the defense of blame, they weren't pulling their fair share regarding turnovers either. Sure the 2016 team was helped by the offense not committing turnovers, but they also did a much better job than any of the teams that Romo was the QB for in actually getting turnovers.

As for the bolded, they really weren't. The only team that was built well enough to have a legitimate shot was 2007, but they weren't beating the Pats that year, and TO's injury really highlighted the weakness in the oline that would only get worse over the next few years.
We had 20 takeaways in 2016 and 22 in 2008. Next please

Gator88

Reaction score
We had 20 takeaways in 2016 and 22 in 2008. Next please
Not measuring by drive this time? If the defense was rarely on the field in 2016 but on the field a lot in 2008, the fact that they got close to the same amount of turnovers as a team that was turning over the ball a lot on offense says a lot don't you think?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Love these Romo-Dak comparisons where there are none.

Romo was an undrafted free agent that didn't throw a regular season pass until halfway into his fourth year in the league. When he played the game here against Denver he was a seasoned veteran.

Dak was a fourth round pick that was supposed to sit and learn behind Romo for a year or two; then exceeded everybody's expectations with an incredible rookie year. But the bottom line is he's still a developmental quarterback and we saw that with some of his struggles last year.

To call Prescott a bust this early in his career is truly missing the mark. I get the idea some fans are hoping he busts just so they can say they were right. Not calling anybody out, that's just the vibe I'm getting.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Not measuring by drive this time? If the defense was rarely on the field in 2016 but on the field a lot in 2008, the fact that they got close to the same amount of turnovers as a team that was turning over the ball a lot on offense says a lot don't you think?
2016 165 drives 1040 plays against
2008 185 drives 1013 plays against

erod

Reaction score
Championship quarterback, but the victim of the grotesque idiocy of a drunken hillbilly with the football knowledge of a bag of hammers.

pete026

Reaction score
Coming back against bad to mediocre teams is what Romo is known for. That’s great, but we want players known for stepping up their game when the season is on the line. Unfortunately, that was not Romo. It also wasn’t his teammates either.
Total opposing team, end of year, winning percentage for all of Romo's 4th Quarter/OT comebacks, .375

Like Aikman says, in order to comeback in so many games particularly against poor teams; the team generally has to play pretty bad in the first 3 quarters. I don't always agree with Aikman but he has a point.