Video: Vintage Romo

Gator88

Reaction score
2016 165 drives 1040 plays against
2008 185 drives 1013 plays against
My bad then. Shouldn't have gone off my obviously faulty memory for 2016. I still stand by my point that solely blaming the offense for the turnover disparity in 2008 isn't correct because the defense didn't do their share either, but I was clearly wrong on how the 2016 defense did.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
My bad then. Shouldn't have gone off my obviously faulty memory for 2016. I still stand by my point that solely blaming the offense for the turnover disparity in 2008 isn't correct because the defense didn't do their share either, but I was clearly wrong on how the 2016 defense did.
It's all G I'm just here to get the facts right. You have to blame the offense in 2008 more drives but less plays means a short field.

JustChip

Reaction score
I am not missing any point. The pittsburgh game was in 2008 and they beat him on that pick six it was a great play but the game turning play was the punt that hit one of our players ( I forget who) in the back of the leg after Dallas stopped them backed up inside their 20. Dallas defense was incredible that day until that odd play where the ball hit the beg of a guys leg when Pitt was punting and they got the ball back. owens running a route incorrectly earlier in the game caused an interception also. Without that special teams oddity Dallas wins that game.

The detroit game in 2011 and the Final game in 2012 at washington can be put on Romo for sure. He made a mistake forcing the ball to witten in that detroit game after the other interceptions and that was it. Same in Washington. He thought he could get the ball to the back over the linebackers head and it backfired on him. Similar to the 2012 JPP interception.

I will even add one for you, the 09 giants game at home he got picked on a slant for six in the exact manner as the 08 pittsburgh game....you know what though he bounced right back and dallas had the lead in the final seconds until the defense blew it like they did so so many times.

He was an outstanding quarterback not a good or very good one. Go back and watch the games. You clearly do not have a good memory of what is what or when it was.

Wow, 2008 huh, time flies. Maybe my memory isn't what it once was, it's certainly not the only thing age has started to fail me. But whether it was 2008 or 2013 isn't pertinent. I sat at the Cotton Bowl in 1966 as a kid and saw Meredith and Bullet Bob toast Washington for a beautiful 70+ TD, but it could've been 1965, or maybe 1967. Fortunately. the fact that I don't remember the specific year doesn't change whether the play happened or not.

Whether Romo is a good, very good, outstanding, HoF quarterback is simply in the eye of the beholder. There are no shortage of opinions of which he was. And no shortage of stats to support whatever case a person wants to make. Me, I think Romo was better than most, not as good as some. And he made mistakes that contributed to losses, as well as plays that contributed to wins.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Total opposing team, end of year, winning percentage for all of Romo's 4th Quarter/OT comebacks, .375

Like Aikman says, in order to comeback in so many games particularly against poor teams; the team generally has to play pretty bad in the first 3 quarters. I don't always agree with Aikman but he has a point.
What weird nether region did you pull that "stat" out of? If you actually did the research yourself, I'm impressed, because that's a lot of research.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Lol you can pull any stat out to fit your narrative. If the offense consistently turns the ball over in their own territory and defense holds them to a fg it counts against defense in points per drive. Defenses are ranked by yards allowed and points allowed. Fact is dallas was a top 10 defense in yards allowed in 2007-09. I can honestly say I would take any of those defenses as our current defense now and they would be better than the defense we have currently.

Sorry to burst your Romo loving bubble.
That's hardly what just happened.

What just happened, whether you understand it now or ever will (or want to), is that you were informed which defensive metrics correlate to wins in the NFL, and then shown how Dallas' defenses ranked during Romo's years as a starter. Points per drive only represents one-third of each of the rankings you saw. Yes, "defenses are ranked by yards allowed and points allowed," which is true enough, but those metrics doesn't correlate to wins as strongly as the three I provided. You're basically down to your opinion that you'd take any of those defenses over our current defense, which is as ridiculous as it is irrelevant.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I still stand by my point that solely blaming the offense for the turnover disparity in 2008 isn't correct because the defense didn't do their share either.
The 2008 Dallas defense ranked 20th in takeaways, 20th in DPR, and 29th in INT%.

That season, Romo had a 76.2 rating when targeting Owens, and a 96.6 to everyone else.

pete026

Reaction score
What weird nether region did you pull that "stat" out of? If you actually did the research yourself, I'm impressed, because that's a lot of research.
Pretty simple math with the internet.

percyhoward your job is safe.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Pretty simple math with the internet.

percyhoward your job is safe.
So what is the winning percentage of other quarterback comebacks of the same era, such as Brees, Manning, Brady and others? Trying to make a point about Romo seems fairly weak when my guess would be that it's the same for everyone else.
Also, looking at Romo's statistics for all of his comebacks and overall he has 52 TDs, 67% completion percentage and an overall QB rating of 96.2, all of which are outstanding. So the idea that he was playing poorly and creating his own comeback situations is laughable.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
So what is the winning percentage of other quarterback comebacks of the same era, such as Brees, Manning, Brady and others? Trying to make a point about Romo seems fairly weak when my guess would be that it's the same for everyone else.
Also, looking at Romo's statistics for all of his comebacks and overall he has 52 TDs, 67% completion percentage and an overall QB rating of 96.2, all of which are outstanding. So the idea that he was playing poorly and creating his own comeback situations is laughable.
He didn’t say “he” played poorly. He said the “team” did, which it did.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
He didn’t say “he” played poorly. He said the “team” did, which it did.
Then it's irrelevant, as he's clearly trying to diminish Romo's comeback statistics. If a QB played like crap all game long and then has a good drive at the end, I would certainly be the first to question the validity of such a statistic. If that's not the case, then why mention it? But I assume he can speak for himself so maybe he has a different reason.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Then it's irrelevant, as he's clearly trying to diminish Romo's comeback statistics. If a QB played like crap all game long and then has a good drive at the end, I would certainly be the first to question the validity of such a statistic. If that's not the case, then why mention it? But I assume he can speak for himself so maybe he has a different reason.

Well, it wasn’t a glowing remark about Romo so of course you are going to take issue with it. Fight on and fight that straw man. Pitchforks work well.

pete026

Reaction score
First of all, Romo was a very good QB and was unbelievable considering where he came from. I also stated the team played poorly to need to comeback against poor teams. I do remember seeing Garrett/Romo offenses struggle out of the box. Lots of 3 and outs. But I just couldn't figure out how a guy could have so many comebacks but struggle at times in crucial situations so I checked it out and to be honest, I think the win percentage was like .387 or something. But you can do the math to figure out if other 4th quarter comeback QBs are similar. I doubt it because most of them are the QB types that have won big games.

What is weak is the need to endlessly bring back threads about players that no longer play. What other Cowboy's player draws that kind of attention after the fact?

As to the statistics in those games, they were against bad teams for the most part. But Romo played well against some good teams also.

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
First of all, Romo was a very good QB and was unbelievable considering were he came from. I also stated the team played poorly to need to comeback against poor teams. I do remember seeing Garrett/Romo offenses struggle out of the box. Lots of 3 and outs. But I just couldn't figure out how a guy could have so many comebacks but struggle at times in crucial situations so I checked it out and to be honest, I think the win percentage was like .387 or something. But you can do the math to figure out if other 4th quarter comeback QBs are similar. I doubt it because most of them are the QB types that have won big games.
You’re about right. I checked it out a few years ago but lost my spreadsheets when computer crashed. I think I have them backed up somewhere but too lazy to care to load it back on my PC. But, even anecdoally speaking, it isn’t hard to figure out that was right. Many people complained at how the team struggled, rarely having any easy wins where we can coast in the 2nd half. We rarely beat the good teams. We could play them close but would typically come up short in the end. We rarely blew teams out, we rarely got blown out. We picked up most of our wins against the poor and other mediocre teams, so it stands to reason the comebacks occurred against them too.

But it is a fact that doesn’t gush praise for Tony, and that will be met with opposition.

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
That's hardly what just happened.

What just happened, whether you understand it now or ever will (or want to), is that you were informed which defensive metrics correlate to wins in the NFL, and then shown how Dallas' defenses ranked during Romo's years as a starter. Points per drive only represents one-third of each of the rankings you saw. Yes, "defenses are ranked by yards allowed and points allowed," which is true enough, but those metrics doesn't correlate to wins as strongly as the three I provided. You're basically down to your opinion that you'd take any of those defenses over our current defense, which is as ridiculous as it is irrelevant.
I've posted up the stats how points per drive can be skewed if the offense is turning the ball over. We haven't had a decent secondary since 95. So talking about defensive passer rating and the secondary with this team is pointless.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The 2008 Dallas defense ranked 20th in takeaways, 20th in DPR, and 29th in INT%.

That season, Romo had a 76.2 rating when targeting Owens, and a 96.6 to everyone else.
So are you blaming the should of been first ballot wr for those stats or the never in the HOF QB?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
First of all, Romo was a very good QB and was unbelievable considering were he came from. I also stated the team played poorly to need to comeback against poor teams. I do remember seeing Garrett/Romo offenses struggle out of the box. Lots of 3 and outs. But I just couldn't figure out how a guy could have so many comebacks but struggle at times in crucial situations so I checked it out and to be honest, I think the win percentage was like .387 or something. But you can do the math to figure out if other 4th quarter comeback QBs are similar. I doubt it because most of them are the QB types that have won big games.
Sounds like you pulled it out of your rear as I suspected. And I just told you, Romo did not struggle in those games, so whatever point you are trying to make about "the team" is irrelevant. Other quarterbacks are the types that have "won big games"? That goes against exactly what you just said, which is that these type of games tend to be pulled out against teams that aren't very good. Let's look at Drew Brees comeback since 2014, and the opp. records:
2-14 Tampa bay
2-14 @Tampa Bay
4-12 Dallas
6-10 NY Giants
8-8 @Atlanta
5-11 @ San Diego
6-10 Carolina
10-5-1 Seattle
7-8-1 @Arizona
7-9 @Green Bay
7-9 Washington

So one winning record... sounds like greatness to me. And glancing at other quarterbacks it appears to be more or less the same. The only exception I would guess would be Brady, because the Patriots pretty much win every game comeback or not. It sounds like your original hypothesis is correct, but your attempts to make Romo look bad are weak and baseless.