Video: Vintage Romo

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Well we neeeded someone to take us to at least 9-7 and the ability to average more than 19 points when the season came down to winning or going home. 8-8 instead of 4-12 isn’t much better. Kitna was able to keep us around .500 too.
If you remember RG3 and Morris were running all over the D in that final game...

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
You are sooooo off base on this. I am not a "hater", whatever that the heck that is. To the contrary, I was and still am a Romo supporter. I've said on here that I believe if you swapped Tony and Eli, Tony would probably have won a SB with the Giants and Eli probably would not have with the Cowboys, but that's pure speculation.

However, I'm not some Romo star-crossed lover that can't look at things objectively. Romo most likely elevated this team above what they would've been otherwise, but as he rightfully gets credit, he was part of the failures and, therefore, should be criticized appropriately. Vintage Romo was escaping sacks and throwing 5 TDs, but it is a FACT that he also threw an unforced error INT to seal the game, same as he did in Pittsburgh and in numerous other games. And in the 2k7 playoff game, Patrick Crayton let him down and MAYBE cost us the game, but Tony also panicked at crunch time and took a very ill-advised intentional grounding penalty that was very costly.

My point about Favre was that he only wanted to talk about the positives - the same as the Romo "apologists". You can't talk about one without the other.

that was a bad call and should not have an intentional grounding and the league said as much on tuesday when they did their corrections.

Romo was under no duress and threw the ball away. The officials burned Dallas with that call because we had to backup another 10 yards on a drive where they looked like they had it starting to get going and then of course the demarcus ware offsides that wasnt that turned into a Toomer Td a few plays later.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If you remember RG3 and Morris were running all over the D in that final game...
I remember Kitna playing in 2010. RGIII and Morris came along in 2012. You must be thinking Orton playing agianst Philadelphia in the final game of 2013.

However when Morris and RGIII were running all over our defense., the offense sucked too, especially Romo who threw 3 interceptions. The defense did step up and make some stops in the 4th quarter to give the offense the ball with just under 2 minutes down 3 with an opportunity to go win or tie the game. First play interception.

I remember it all.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Well we neeeded someone to take us to at least 9-7 and the ability to average more than 19 points when the season came down to winning or going home. 8-8 instead of 4-12 isn’t much better. Kitna was able to keep us around .500 too.

False.

Kitna was not .500 as the qb in 2010. He was 4-5. And if you want to count his horrible first half vs the cardinals before he was injurd you could make him 4-6 but its not fair to count that against him.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
False.

Kitna was not .500 as the qb in 2010. He was 4-5. And if you want to count his horrible first half vs the cardinals before he was injurd you could make him 4-6 but its not fair to count that against him.
Hence my use of the word “around”. Lol

And it was the Cardinals game that got him to 4-5.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
I remember Kitna playing in 2010. RGIII and Morris came along in 2012. You must be thinking Orton playing agianst Philadelphia in the final game of 2013.

However when Morris and RGIII were running all over our defense., the offense sucked too, especially Romo who threw 3 interceptions. The defense did step up and make some stops in the 4th quarter to give the offense the ball with just under 2 minutes down 3 with an opportunity to go win or tie the game. First play interception.

I remember it all.
You are correct it was Orton against Philadelphia because Romo hurt his back in the win against the deadskins... My memory fails me.o_O

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
You are correct it was Orton against Philadelphia because Romo hurt his back in the win against the deadskins... My memory fails me.o_O

You are correct. It was a great comeback while injured. Unfortunately the team struggled that day agianst a horrible 3-13 Commanders team requiring the comeback, but that was pretty standard for our team.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
You are correct. It was a great comeback while injured. Unfortunately the team struggled that day agianst a horrible 3-13 Commanders team requiring the comeback, but that was pretty standard for our team.
Romo threw the game winning TD to Murray after he hurt his back. He was tough as nails.

JustChip

Reaction score
Give us a list of all these "Late Game Interceptions" that cost the team the game.

Four that come to mind of the top of my head are this game, the road Pittsburgh game (in 2013 I think), the Washington pick-6 in the win or go home game for the Division (2012 I believe), a home regular season game against GB (2012 I think). Plus, the 4th down end-zone INT against the Giants in the 2007 playoff game; I really don't count that because it was a desperation throw similar to an INT on a Hail Mary, but the fact is it was a late-game INT.

Oh, and how about the regular season Detroit game that made Barbie Carpenter DPoW? Not late game unless you consider the 3rd quarter late game, but still very, very salient.

But you're obviously missing the point - too many people make this a bipolar argument. You either are a Romo "apologist", in which case he's never held accountable for mistakes - they're all someone else's fault, or you're a Romo "hater", in which case Romo sucked and was the sole reason the team never succeeded. The reality is he was a good, maybe very good QB, that was a big part of any successes, but he was also a part of the failures. Simple as that. The inability to see or acknowledge is being driven by emotions and not reality.

aria

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to a future without Jerrah after he's dead...
I couldn’t agree more :) Now we’re being positive! Think of it this way, he’s not getting any younger so we have that going for us. Initially I thought Steven would be a huge upgrade but I’m slightly more concerned now. Hopefully once Jerry is gone Steven will hire a real GM.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Hence my use of the word “around”. Lol

And it was the Cardinals game that got him to 4-5.

Nope. He lost to NY, Jax, GB, New Orleans and Philly.
I dont count arizona because he was down 14-0 and got injured. I count NY because he came into a game we were winning and was completely awful as he was against jax.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Four that come to mind of the top of my head are this game, the road Pittsburgh game (in 2013 I think), the Washington pick-6 in the win or go home game for the Division (2012 I believe), a home regular season game against GB (2012 I think). Plus, the 4th down end-zone INT against the Giants in the 2007 playoff game; I really don't count that because it was a desperation throw similar to an INT on a Hail Mary.

Oh, and how about the regular season Detroit game that make Barbie Carpenter DPoW? Not late game unless you consider the 3rd quarter late game, but still very, very salient.

But you're obviously missing the point - too many people make this a bipolar argument. You either are a Romo "apologist", in which case he's never held accountable for mistakes - they're all someone else's fault, or you're a Romo "hater", in which case Romo sucked and was the sole reason the team never succeeded. The reality is he was a good, maybe very good QB, that was a big part of any successes, but he was also a part of the failures. Simple as that. The inability to see or acknowledge is being driven by emotions and not reality.

I am not missing any point. The pittsburgh game was in 2008 and they beat him on that pick six it was a great play but the game turning play was the punt that hit one of our players ( I forget who) in the back of the leg after Dallas stopped them backed up inside their 20. Dallas defense was incredible that day until that odd play where the ball hit the beg of a guys leg when Pitt was punting and they got the ball back. owens running a route incorrectly earlier in the game caused an interception also. Without that special teams oddity Dallas wins that game.

The detroit game in 2011 and the Final game in 2012 at washington can be put on Romo for sure. He made a mistake forcing the ball to witten in that detroit game after the other interceptions and that was it. Same in Washington. He thought he could get the ball to the back over the linebackers head and it backfired on him. Similar to the 2012 JPP interception.

I will even add one for you, the 09 giants game at home he got picked on a slant for six in the exact manner as the 08 pittsburgh game....you know what though he bounced right back and dallas had the lead in the final seconds until the defense blew it like they did so so many times.

He was an outstanding quarterback not a good or very good one. Go back and watch the games. You clearly do not have a good memory of what is what or when it was.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Nope. He lost to NY, Jax, GB, New Orleans and Philly.
I dont count arizona because he was down 14-0 and got injured. I count NY because he came into a game we were winning and was completely awful as he was against jax.
Ok. If you want to give him credit for the NY loss then so be it, I couldn’t care less. We do have to make others look as bad as possible so Romo can look as good as possible. I expect that.

As for the Jville game he was not completely awful. You must be looking at the box score. He was great that game but had piss poor effort from his teammates. 3 of his 4 interceptions were tipped balls by receivers that should have been caught. He even hit a wide open Witten in the middle of the Star on his helmet because Witten wasn’t even looking back.

He was awful the next week against GB .