Video: Voch - No! You Can Not Trade Michael Gallup

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Gallup and a first would be dumb, but Gallup and say a 4th would make all the sense in the world.

We are stacked at WR and Adams would be the leader of our defense and make a weak secondary formidable.

Gallup is probably going to command around 12 million at least in two years.

So the proper thing to do would be to approach Gallup NOW and try to resign him or at least see what they are looking for. If its stupid money then you actually SHOULD trade him so you get value before he walks.
I wouldn't trade Gallup at all. Instead I would trade some of the CB depth and/or DE or possibly Hill maybe LG.

After Cooper, Gallup and Lamb there isn't another receiver on the team that would play great. Also keeping Gallup allows you to resign him in 2 years and let Cooper go or let Gallup go and keep Cooper.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
It's a stupid idea. Adams isn't worth Gallup, a first round pick, and a big contract extension.

Getting Lamb is less of a coup if he's just going to replace Gallup. The coup is having (potentially) three studs at WR.
Exactly. Having those 3 receivers and even running Zeke will open this offense up. Offense will be much more explosive with the 3 headed monster at receiver.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Everybody is basically saying that a 1 and 3 is the price...so not sure why you are saying that isn't enough
First, no one knows exactly what the price is.

Who is "everybody?"

I live locally and know the mindset of Jet fans and I hear on radio what we discuss here.

I've heard people say that a 1st and 3rd AND Gallup isnt enough, and also that they dont want to deal him at ALL.

If they dealt Adams right now for a 1st and a 3rd the fans would be looking to run management out of town. I promise that much.

So, I guess I'm guessing....same way you're telling me that a 1st and a 3rd will get it done, when the last we heard reported they would accept was a 1st and two 2nds.

Love when people here tell you that you have no facts, while their side of the discussion is the same speculation based on media reports that could be complete crap.

JBS

Reaction score
First, no one knows exactly what the price is.

Who is "everybody?"

I live locally and know the mindset of Jet fans and I hear on radio what we discuss here.

I've heard people say that a 1st and 3rd AND Gallup isnt enough, and also that they dont want to deal him at ALL.

If they dealt Adams right now for a 1st and a 3rd the fans would be looking to run management out of town. I promise that much.

So, I guess I'm guessing....same way you're telling me that a 1st and a 3rd will get it done, when the last we heard reported they would accept was a 1st and two 2nds.

Love when people here tell you that you have no facts, while their side of the discussion is the same speculation based on media reports that could be complete crap.

Well if multiple media reports claim the exact same thing then you can only assume it's true..but whatever, if you just want to assume they're wrong, you can do that too

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yet again it comes down to the CAP space and team needs.

Going into the 2022 season we are NOT going to be able to afford Coops and Gallup....as a result the rumors and discussions about Gallup are more a compliment as he and his contract is likely to attract a better return, at a position we need to strengthen.

I'm going to change my signature to ….."Cowboys Fans Don't Do Defence"

First off, NOBODY knows for sure, especially nobody here, what the 2022 cap is going to be. That isn't determined until the previous league year is over because league income from that previous season goes into the calculation for the next years cap. Second I didn't hear that the Cowboys have designated you has the person who determines who will and won't be resigned. Lastly I know that sportswriters that spend the entire off season SPECULATING on any idea that pops into their head do not speak for the Cowboys nor are involved with ANY of their decisions. But there is the same percentage of fans for whatever reasons they have just gobble up all this speculation and believe it like it is written in stone.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Being a complete team is more important than having depth. Having a great defense is more important than the #3 WR.

Yes teams want to have as good of a defense as they can, BUT the most successful teams are successful because they have depth in case of injury and for rotating players keeping players fresher in the 4th quarter. Next, Gallup is the #2 receiver. Lamb is penciled in as the slot receiver replacing Cobb. Next weakening a team in one area to make it stronger in another is just making one area weaker. Lastly, sportswriters SPECULATE on anything they can think up in their heads all off season, yet there are fans that gobble it up like it's written in stone. Fans do that because they agree with that SPECULATION for whatever reasons they have, but all it is, is UNFOUNDED SPECULATION. One last thing, the Cowboys of the 90's, one of the big reasons they won 3 Super Bowls is because they had great depth at just about every position which allowed them to freely rotate players without any drop off in play having the starters fresher in the 4th quarter. People that jump on those speculated ideas and act like the NFL is like fantasy football don't get the whole idea of depth.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It was a stupid suggestion by some fans to trade Gallup after we drafted Lamb. We didn’t draft Lamb to replace Gallup, we drafted him to add to the firepower we already had. We’re trying to build a great team. Some fans don’t seem to get that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes teams want to have as good of a defense as they can, BUT the most successful teams are successful because they have depth in case of injury and for rotating players keeping players fresher in the 4th quarter. Next, Gallup is the #2 receiver. Lamb is penciled in as the slot receiver replacing Cobb. Next weakening a team in one area to make it stronger in another is just making one area weaker. Lastly, sportswriters SPECULATE on anything they can think up in their heads all off season, yet there are fans that gobble it up like it's written in stone. Fans do that because they agree with that SPECULATION for whatever reasons they have, but all it is, is UNFOUNDED SPECULATION. One last thing, the Cowboys of the 90's, one of the big reasons they won 3 Super Bowls is because they had great depth at just about every position which allowed them to freely rotate players without any drop off in play having the starters fresher in the 4th quarter. People that jump on those speculated ideas and act like the NFL is like fantasy football don't get the whole idea of depth.

Garbage. Cowboys won the sb because they had studs like Deion starting not because they had depth behind him.

Lamb is the pencilled in slot guy? Ok smart guy.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Garbage. Cowboys won the sb because they had studs like Deion starting not because they had depth behind him.

Lamb is the pencilled in slot guy? Ok smart guy.

It's funny, nit ha ha funny that not just people here who know a heck of a lot more about football and the NFL than you, but actually sports analysts which includes some former NFL players, have said a great deal of the Cowboys success in the 90's was having depth at most positions that most of the other teams didn't have. You're under the foolish idea that those Super Bowl wins were only due to the starting 22 players yet people with a heck of a lot more knowledge than you acknowledge the big importance of their depth. If depth isn't important why don't the Cowboys use all of the players below the starting 22 and trade them all away to have the absolute best starting 22 players and have just a 22 man roster where they have to play every down and of course hope there's zero injuries all season and that they stay completely fresh the ENTIRE game and win it all.

dallasdave

Reaction score
You've got Gallup for two more years before his contract is up. I would think if he has another season like last year, you might want to think about re-signing him earlier.

But don't forget about the Jets game. Coop was out and Gallup needed to step up and he clearly didn't. He dropped several passes and didn't play like a No. 1 receiver.
This guy is going to be good, Dallas should keep him for about the next 10 years:yourock::yourock::yourock:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's funny, nit ha ha funny that not just people here who know a heck of a lot more about football and the NFL than you, but actually sports analysts which includes some former NFL players, have said a great deal of the Cowboys success in the 90's was having depth at most positions that most of the other teams didn't have. You're under the foolish idea that those Super Bowl wins were only due to the starting 22 players yet people with a heck of a lot more knowledge than you acknowledge the big importance of their depth. If depth isn't important why don't the Cowboys use all of the players below the starting 22 and trade them all away to have the absolute best starting 22 players and have just a 22 man roster where they have to play every down and of course hope there's zero injuries all season and that they stay completely fresh the ENTIRE game and win it all.
Maybe you should go talk to someone that agrees with you?

At this point you’ve gone so far off track in an attempt to make a valid point. Now your claiming things I never said.

The original argument boils down to Gallup or the pro bowl safety. Who do you want for THIS team?

I’ll take Jamal every time. If you take Gallup good for you. Either way I really dont care. And you repeating yourself or changing the subject won’t make me agree with you.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Maybe you should go talk to someone that agrees with you?

At this point you’ve gone so far off track in an attempt to make a valid point. Now your claiming things I never said.

The original argument boils down to Gallup or the pro bowl safety. Who do you want for THIS team?

I’ll take Jamal every time. If you take Gallup good for you. Either way I really dont care. And you repeating yourself or changing the subject won’t make me agree with you.

My argument hasn't changed. You want to trade a player where the Cowboys have some depth for another player and just don't get that weakening one position to strengthen another is just weakening one position with ZERO guarantees that this single player is what will push the Cowboys to the Super Bowl. It would not be the first time that a player that was good with one team that gets traded or even signed in free agency does not play as well with the new team, but you have this thing in your head that depth is unimportant and that your safety is guaranteed to be all world here. Don't bother replying because I'm tired of trying to teach you that it's not just the starting 22 that matter and weakening one position for another position is just making that position weaker and a new problem that will have to be addressed.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This has been suggested on this board and also ,on the radio in Dallas. The idea is you go get Adams from the Jets and dangle Gallup and a first.

I suppose that is an idea. But why?

I think Voch answers that question.

Enjoy.

That's right. Don't trade away one our emerging stars. Creating a perfect team is an illusion and Adams isn't 'All that.' The defense will be better because the numbskull DC and the hot tempered DB coach are gone. That, and it will be a coordinated defense instead of two separate units working against each other.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
No way. He’s a young pilgrim with tremendous upside. He will be a #1 capo at some point either here or somewhere else. But you hold onto him at least couple more years. We’re deep on quality WRs but crappola happens....

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This has been suggested on this board and also ,on the radio in Dallas. The idea is you go get Adams from the Jets and dangle Gallup and a first.

I suppose that is an idea. But why?

I think Voch answers that question.

Enjoy.

WR#2 tends to be overrated because WR#1 takes the defense's attention. I'd definitely take offers, but his low price tag has to be accounted for in the trade too.

But I wouldn't give the Jets a 1st flat out for the rights to Adams. Certainly wouldn't add Gallup to that.

plasticman

Reaction score
I don't see any WR depth, not with most offenses listing three WR's as starters in lieu of a FB.

If just one of the three starting WR's get hurt, and I am assuming that Lamb is one of them, who do we have to replace them?

Suppose we trade Gallup. Cooper and Lamb are the starters then who is the new starter? It wouldn't be difficult to imagine at least one of the starting WR's to get nicked up in the course of the season. Suppose it's Lamb or Cooper. Remember we traded Gallup. Now our starting three are Cooper or Lamb, depending on who got nicked up, and two guys that we view as backups today.

And for those of you lamenting Gallup's catch percentage:

Since 2000, 18 receivers with 50 or more receptions for the Cowboys, Cole Beasely #1 in catch percentage, Amari Cooper #2, Michael Gallup #14, just ahead of TO.

But wait!

When you look at yards per target, which are the yards you average just throwing it in his direction, Gallup moves up to 7th, Cooper is 3rd, Beasely falls to 2nd to last at 17th.

That's because yards per reception, Gallup is 2nd, Cooper is 13th and Beasely falls to last place.

11.1% of Beasley's receptions were deep balls. 22.6% for Gallup. 21.2% for Cooper.

In conclusion, Gallup's catch percentage is lower because he has been targeted deeper on more occasions. He is every bit the deep threat that Cooper has been......and Lamb will be..

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I don't know when was the last time the Cowboys had two 1,000 WRs. ( Big props to Witten for being a half of a 1,000 yard pair with Miles, T.O. and Dez.)

MIN-Moss, Carter, Reed
WAS-Clark, Monk, Sanders
DEN-Johnson, Jackson, Nattiel
HOU-Givens, Jeffries, Hill

Cowboys are bringing back the Big 3 WR group. 2 years till a decision needs to be made...keep Gallup and shoot for 3 1,000 yard WRs.
Someone that understands the huge tactical advantage,, exactly.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Being a complete team is more important than having depth. Having a great defense is more important than the #3 WR.
Glad your just a fan, and in no way a part of actually building a team when there is an actual salary cap in place that you have to comply with.
This isn't Amazon spending frenzy Madden fantasy land.