Video: Voch - No! You Can Not Trade Michael Gallup

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You've got Gallup for two more years before his contract is up. I would think if he has another season like last year, you might want to think about re-signing him earlier.

But don't forget about the Jets game. Coop was out and Gallup needed to step up and he clearly didn't. He dropped several passes and didn't play like a No. 1 receiver.
exactly.....some fans are just crazy...and cooper's contract looks like a 2 year contract, so depending on where we are in 2 years, gallup, CD maybe the future, with cooper being let go...

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If you can say, which you can't, that weakening the WR's for a defensive player is all the Cowboys need to win the Super Bowl then I'm all for it, but like I said you can't because the Cowboys have more issues than just safety. So weakening one position to add to another is just weakening a position. I've said it several times now that YES everyone would love for the Cowboys to have a really good defense but one safety isn't going to do it but it will take depth away from a position and make that position weaker.

What I am saying is that going into 2021 we don't have any Safeties on note.....no back up.

Ive also mentioned the LB/DE situation.

…..you don't care, you only want shiny toys.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
….and you cant ignore that regardless of the figure we AREN'T going to be in a great position.

Our depth need at LB/DE and Secondary leading into 2021 will be a MUCH GREATER than at WR.

Do you stop watching when we don't have the ball???

AGAIN, trading a WR that is actually listed as WR#2 for a safety isn't going to cure all the needs on defense and would just present another problem. If Gallup the WR#2 is traded that means that Cooper is one side and Lamb on the other and who then is going to be the slot? Trading Gallup puts a big hurt on the receiving corp and doesn't solve all the needs on defense, it just makes another position weaker. We all would love it if the Cowboys had a really good defense but trading their #2 WR isn't going to make that defense that really good defense.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
What I am saying is that going into 2021 we don't have any Safeties on note.....no back up.

Ive also mentioned the LB/DE situation.

…..you don't care, you only want shiny toys.

2 safeties will still be under contract for 2021, Wilson and Thompson. Clinton-Dix will probably be gotten again for 4 mil and Woods will also probably be resigned. They may also draft a safety. Again trading Gallup for one defensive player, yes a safety who has a void after the 2020 season if he chooses to use it, isn't going to cure all the defensive needs but will create a problem at the WR position. Weakening one position for a player that won't cure all the needs on defense is just weakening one position.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
AGAIN, trading a WR that is actually listed as WR#2 for a safety isn't going to cure all the needs on defense and would just present another problem. If Gallup the WR#2 is traded that means that Cooper is one side and Lamb on the other and who then is going to be the slot? Trading Gallup puts a big hurt on the receiving corp and doesn't solve all the needs on defense, it just makes another position weaker. We all would love it if the Cowboys had a really good defense but trading their #2 WR isn't going to make that defense that really good defense.

The OP stated the disgust at considering trading a WR because of the need for depth.

I am not trading Gallup for a bag of balls, but as we are probably going to either trade Coops or release Gallup before 2022, then entertaining trades to look at DESPERATE NEEDS (Go look at the Defence for 2021) isn't a stupid suggestion.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
2 safeties will still be under contract for 2021, Wilson and Thompson. Clinton-Dix will probably be gotten again for 4 mil and Woods will also probably be resigned. They may also draft a safety. Again trading Gallup for one defensive player, yes a safety who has a void after the 2020 season if he chooses to use it, isn't going to cure all the defensive needs but will create a problem at the WR position. Weakening one position for a player that won't cure all the needs on defense is just weakening one position.

You seriously think we'll go with Wilson and Thompson as our starters :lmao2:.

We then get to the other issue - the juxtaposition that if Clinton-Dix and Woods play well or above average we may be stretched financial to beat off competition in Free Agency.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
When the Cowboys say Cooper is the slot and Lamb will be a WR then we can go with that, but they haven't. Fans and sportswriters can speculate all they want but until the coaches actually do it, it is just speculation. Now again after drafting Lamb the cowboys did mention Cobb departing and the need to draft lamb. To me that says they're thinking slot for Lamb at least to start off with. Oh and I never made any mention of size when I talked about the WR or slot.
But your right there as well, just speculating, isn't that what we all do.
Proof is in the pudding, if you cant expand your ability to at least entertain a very rational explanation, then you will always believe in just what you envision as being true.
What a very limited view, very limited world of possibilities.
Your back tracking, its cool,, I walk backwards more often than most as well.
Cooper will be working in the slot,, you should save this post, and revisit, but you wont.
Its still cool.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Not this season but next offseason I'm 100% taking calls on Gallup. Can't invest too much in one position group. I take a day 2 wr next year and try to flip gallup for a good young defensive piece.

this is the move.
you don't trade Gallup right now on that contract.
next offseason, i'm willing to listen. this is managing assets 101.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
this is the move.
you don't trade Gallup right now on that contract.
next offseason, i'm willing to listen. this is managing assets 101.
Yup I mean even if it's not for something crazy just get something for Gallup it doesn't make sense with the current team to put more resources into that position.

cern

Reaction score
wr's are prone to injury just as are d-backs. doesn't make a lot of sense to be in a hurry to get rid of them. especially those as good as gallup. injuries ended the career of dez. (there were other concerns). injuries hampered cooper last year. even gallup was injured and missed a few games last year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
My argument hasn't changed. You want to trade a player where the Cowboys have some depth for another player and just don't get that weakening one position to strengthen another is just weakening one position with ZERO guarantees that this single player is what will push the Cowboys to the Super Bowl. It would not be the first time that a player that was good with one team that gets traded or even signed in free agency does not play as well with the new team, but you have this thing in your head that depth is unimportant and that your safety is guaranteed to be all world here. Don't bother replying because I'm tired of trying to teach you that it's not just the starting 22 that matter and weakening one position for another position is just making that position weaker and a new problem that will have to be addressed.

Trust me, you couldn't teach me anything.

You just cant handle the fact that I don't agree with you.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The OP stated the disgust at considering trading a WR because of the need for depth.

I am not trading Gallup for a bag of balls, but as we are probably going to either trade Coops or release Gallup before 2022, then entertaining trades to look at DESPERATE NEEDS (Go look at the Defence for 2021) isn't a stupid suggestion.

When I see you get promoted to GM of the Cowboys and not just a fan making wild guesses on what's going to happen in the future with the WR's, then what your guessing may be true, but until then it just guessing and means nothing.. Again, trading Gallup and weakening one position for a single player that won't solve all the needs on defense, is just creating another area that will be needed to be addressed to go along with the defensive needs. Creating one problem that doesn't solve another problem is just creating another problem.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You seriously think we'll go with Wilson and Thompson as our starters :lmao2:.

We then get to the other issue - the juxtaposition that if Clinton-Dix and Woods play well or above average we may be stretched financial to beat off competition in Free Agency.

I see you're saying create a weakness for this season because of possible problems next season. Gee why not start creating weaknesses this season because of POSSIBLE problems 2, 3 or 4 years down the road too while you're at it.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
But your right there as well, just speculating, isn't that what we all do.
Proof is in the pudding, if you cant expand your ability to at least entertain a very rational explanation, then you will always believe in just what you envision as being true.
What a very limited view, very limited world of possibilities.
Your back tracking, its cool,, I walk backwards more often than most as well.
Cooper will be working in the slot,, you should save this post, and revisit, but you wont.
Its still cool.

I rather wait until a decision is made by the coaching staff then to start speculating on something that at least in my view the Cowboys have already hinted on what the plans are. You and others can speculate but that doesn't mean we all have to accept it.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I see you're saying create a weakness for this season because of possible problems next season. Gee why not start creating weaknesses this season because of POSSIBLE problems 2, 3 or 4 years down the road too while you're at it.

It's all about prioritising team needs.

I'm saying that you explore....especially when finances indicate that one of the WR's will be gone after 2 seasons.

If you think a 'weakness' at WR3 is more important than 'weakness' at starting Safety carry on.

I would be at least asking what was available in exchange for Gallup.... if you don't look to the future you put the team in the financial position we're in atm.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

I'm saying that you explore....especially when finances indicate that one of the WR's will be gone after 2 seasons.

If you think a 'weakness' at WR3 is more important than 'weakness' at starting Safety carry on.

I would be at least asking what was available in exchange for Gallup.... if you don't look to the future you put the team in the financial position we're in atm.

I honestly think WR 3 is more important that the starting strong safety. But even putting that aside if you are worried about finances it makes no sense to trade for another player that you will have to pay top money to retain. You would be better off getting draft capital to replenish the roster. The Cowboys will likely have comp picks in rounds 3, 4, and 5 so they have a good chance to re-tool the team if they draft well.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I honestly think WR 3 is more important that the starting strong safety. But even putting that aside if you are worried about finances it makes no sense to trade for another player that you will have to pay top money to retain. You would be better off getting draft capital to replenish the roster. The Cowboys will likely have comp picks in rounds 3, 4, and 5 so they have a good chance to re-tool the team if they draft well.

1) We have no starting Safeties signed for 2021.
2) Not necessarily looking to trade for a veteran / soon to be out contract Safety….. more retool
3) Yep, happy with the comp picks, but so many are saying we have to improve now. 2/3 year window.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

To start out with the Cowboys this year have had the most money both dollar wise and percentage wise than they have ever had since the cap was started. So much for your "atm, at the moment" Second when you become the Cowboys GM, which won't happen in any of your next 100 life times, then you can declare who will and who won't be with the Cowboys in the future. Next you keep referring to Gallup as WR3 but in reality he is STILL listed as WR2 which putts him a starter on offense so YES weakening one position and one side of the ball for someone that is not the cure all for all of the issues on defense is only weakening a position and side of the ball that would have to be added to all the other needs that have to be addressed. I'm sorry that because all you see is defense and don't see the entire picture. Just because you think the Cowboys only road to the Super Bowl is through the defensive side of the ball but here's something to think about. What position is by a large amount is the highest paid position on teams and which side of the ball does he play? Now if teams spend the most on QB do you really think they're going to take any of his weapons away?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
To start out with the Cowboys this year have had the most money both dollar wise and percentage wise than they have ever had since the cap was started. So much for your "atm, at the moment" Second when you become the Cowboys GM, which won't happen in any of your next 100 life times, then you can declare who will and who won't be with the Cowboys in the future. Next you keep referring to Gallup as WR3 but in reality he is STILL listed as WR2 which putts him a starter on offense so YES weakening one position and one side of the ball for someone that is not the cure all for all of the issues on defense is only weakening a position and side of the ball that would have to be added to all the other needs that have to be addressed. I'm sorry that because all you see is defense and don't see the entire picture. Just because you think the Cowboys only road to the Super Bowl is through the defensive side of the ball but here's something to think about. What position is by a large amount is the highest paid position on teams and which side of the ball does he play? Now if teams spend the most on QB do you really think they're going to take any of his weapons away?

Most money both dollar wise and percentage - doesn't make sense.
Gallup WR3 - Splitting hairs about WR2 and WR3...… he's likely to be the third best WR on the team within the next two years
"all you see is defense and don't see the entire picture" - priceless comment.
Highest paid position - obviously QB …. nothing to do with this thread.
Take his weapons away? - If he can't find Coop's, Lamb, Jarwin (decent receiving TE) and who ever you play in the slot (possibly Pollard) - you don't deserve to be a QB.
When all you can come up with Wilson and Thompson as our SAFTIES - then thats a serious weakness

Its ironic that you're so defensive over my comment that we should entertain the possibility and discuss possible trades (btw - check my posts, ive never mentioned Adams)

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Most money both dollar wise and percentage - doesn't make sense.
Gallup WR3 - Splitting hairs about WR2 and WR3...… he's likely to be the third best WR on the team within the next two years
"all you see is defense and don't see the entire picture" - priceless comment.
Highest paid position - obviously QB …. nothing to do with this thread.
Take his weapons away? - If he can't find Coop's, Lamb, Jarwin (decent receiving TE) and who ever you play in the slot (possibly Pollard) - you don't deserve to be a QB.
When all you can come up with Wilson and Thompson as our SAFTIES - then thats a serious weakness

Its ironic that you're so defensive over my comment that we should entertain the possibility and discuss possible trades (btw - check my posts, ive never mentioned Adams)

I guess simple things are way beyond comprehension for you. Dollar wise is actual dollar amounts available each year and percentage wise is the percentage of the actual cap for each year the Cowboys had to work with. I didn't know that something grade school kids can figure out on their own would be that hard for you. Then in your arguments you keep interjecting what YOU think will be in the future and therefore those presumptions make what you say as fact. Now you're right that you didn't mention Adams by name but that is what this thread was started on and you indirectly did. Let me quote you. "I say that for us at this moment DEFENCE (particularly in the secondary), is a bigger need than a WR3." Again YOU state WR3 yet the Cowboys actually have Gallup listed as WR2. It's amazing that someone who pretends to know so much about the NFL or maybe just the Cowboys doesn't get that trading the teams WR2 is making the receiver corp weaker and removing a valuable target for the QB. Oh another thing kids get that you obviously don't get with your got to fix the defense by trading offensive players when I stated ANOTHER fact that the QB is the highest paid position. With that kind of layout of money teams aren't going to trade a starting weapon for that QB, especially by doing it will cause another position that will need addressing and won't be the cure all for all of the defensive issue. I've said multiple times now that I wish the Cowboys had a really good defense but not at the expense of weakening the offense doing it. Oh and putting things in bold really doesn't make what you say are facts.