Twitter: Von Miller would have taken less to sign with Cowboys

LittleD

Reaction score
His real deal is 51mil for 2 years at his age. The Boys wanted to give him 14mil average for 2 years. He would have come down but, not near that much. No player his age is worth 25mil per year. We have 3 big contracts to do in the next 3 years. We need all the cap room we can muster.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Again nothiing sums up Jerry and Stephen Jones more than the Gregory saga. They thought Gregory was so important they were going to give him $70 million. When he bounced, apparently it was only Gregory they valued, not actually having a competent DE opposite Lawrence. That explains how they went from Gregory and his $70 million to Fowler at $3 million.

It shows that the Jones' are more driven by rewarding their own (which in part is a reflection of their belief they are awesome drafters) than actually fixing a position. If they were willing to spend $70 million on Gregory at DE, then by any sane logic, they knew they needed help at DE so why not plow some of that money slotted to Gregory into a legitimate edge player?

Nope, they went bargain bin.
Been saying this for years, most of the joneses move are done to validate their “football guy” status.

Loso86

Reaction score
They really didn't. Again, look at the structure of his contract and not the actual final totals.

Miller's deal has $45 million in guaranteed dollars paid in the form of signing bonus, roster bonus, guaranteed salaries for 2022-2024. The Bills will hae paid him $52 million in cash by the end of the third year of that contract. They can then cut him and save nearly $15 million in cap space with a small one year dead money hit of $7 million.

The reason why the contract looks so big when you see 6 years, $120 million is those last three years all carry massive base salary charges - $17 million, $19 million and then $29 million. But none of those are guaranteed. The Bills have zero payment obligations after 2024. For all intents and purposes, what Miller signed was a 3 year, $52 million (or so) contract.
That's fine he's not the same player but I get what
your saying

birdwells1

Reaction score
His real deal is 51mil for 2 years at his age. The Boys wanted to give him 14mil average for 2 years. He would have come down but, not near that much. No player his age is worth 25mil per year. We have 3 big contracts to do in the next 3 years. We need all the cap room we can muster.
The problem with this thinking is that no front office should be thinking that far in the future. Front offices around the league should be thinking win in 2 to 3 years or we might be looking for other jobs. But in Dallas the front office can look 5, 10, 15 years in the future on contracts. THE ONLY ONES WITH URGENCY IS THE COWBOYS FANS!!!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's almost like they were so lazy they simply offered what they already planned to have budgeted.

What would you rather have going forward? Von Miller for 14 million per year or Williams for 2 million per year? I guess this all depends on how good Williams becomes. But if the kid is a 10 sack type guy, Ill take Williams.

Sydla

Reaction score
If that was really a 3 year deal they could have got out of after 2 years, then I probably do that Von Miller deal.

But no way am I actually doing that if its 5 full years.

Miller's deal with Buffalo is basically a 3 year, $52 million dollar contract. After three years, the only downside is $7 million in dead money but they still save nearly $15 million against the 2025 cap.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I know Stephen is afraid of free agency because they’ve sucked at it for so long, but I really believe they are keeping their free agency powder dry for 2023 and Sean Payton.

That would be absolutely incredible. If in 2023 they got rid of Zeke, hired Payton, and then went on a little spending spree finishing out the roster.

Sydla

Reaction score
What would you rather have going forward? Von Miller for 14 million per year or Williams for 2 million per year? I guess this all depends on how good Williams becomes. But if the kid is a 10 sack type guy, Ill take Williams.

What would you rather have:

Miller, Williams

Fowler, Williams

Where is it written or is there a rule that would have precluded Dallas from also taking Williams if they had Miller? Are you saying if Gregory had come back, they would have passed over Williams, despite him apparently being the highest rated player on their board by that 2nd round pick?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Miller's deal with Buffalo is basically a 3 year, $52 million dollar contract. After three years, the only downside is $7 million in dead money but they still save nearly $15 million against the 2025 cap.

Ill take Williams for that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What would you rather have:

Miller, Williams

Fowler, Williams

Where is it written or is there a rule that would have precluded Dallas from also taking Williams if they had Miller? Are you saying if Gregory had come back, they would have passed over Williams, despite him apparently being the highest rated player on their board by that 2nd round pick?

NO, that is a good point. Or

Miller and a 2nd round OT.

I dont think I would want Miller and Williams. That is kinda defeating the purpose.

All depends on how good Miller really is and how good Williams is.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How you don't see yourself as a "usual" who produces this same sort of "canned post" over and over and over again, is baffling. Sad, as well.

See, you just made my point by posting what you did.
At least I offer some positive "usual" items, as opposed the the "usuals" negative crap all the time. like taking anything positive and making it a negative.

And I don't do canned posts. I don't spew the same Dak hate as some do in every thread.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Yeah except that even at his age he's still infinitely more productive than Randy Gregory.

Agreed. It's not close. The only concern would be age. But from the looks of it, Von's contract is really only 2-3 years. So it's more than reasonable to expect Von to be productive for that long...

Jfconrow

Reaction score
What a joke, Dallas offered 50m less? Von’s 33 he’s not doing anything anymore

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a big IF

I don’t know if it’s that big of an ‘if’. There’s certainly a favorite in my book. They had KC on the ropes in that playoff game and have improved in many areas since then.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
See, you just made my point by posting what you did.
At least I offer some positive "usual" items, as opposed the the "usuals" negative crap all the time. like taking anything positive and making it a negative.

And I don't do canned posts. I don't spew the same Dak hate as some do in every thread.
You're no different than the people you criticize. Just a different side of the same coin. More often than not you are the first to bring this crap in. Just like you did in this thread. Time after time after time. You just brought Dak up in a thread about Von Miller. It's truly baffling.

My goodness!

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
And here we are with 20m in cap space just collecting dust. I can't help but wonder how much more it would've taken to sign Miller. Hard to say if it was a good or bad decision but I'll be watching the end of Miller's career in parallel with Sam Willams and his development.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're no different than the people you criticize. Just a different side of the same coin. More often than not you are the first to bring this crap in. Just like you did in this thread. Time after time after time. You just brought Dak up in a thread about Von Miller. It's truly baffling.

My goodness!

And once again you are totally wrong.
Maybe you are feeling guilty about it, so feel you need to give your worthless opinion.

My goodness...why does it bother you so much. Put me on ignore if you don't like it.

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score
It's almost like they were so lazy they simply offered what they already planned to have budgeted.

Are you a troll? You disagree with every move the team makes. Same team drafted Micah and Diggs. We’ve had good records recently just can’t win big games. You act like we’re the Jaguars lol! Of course it’s nowhere near enough but your takes sound like we’re the worst team in the league. Our biggest problem right now is our coach not our GM. Ask any objective fan.

We got Sam Williams and didn’t spend 100 mill on a 33 year old. It might just work out.