Wade Phillips Thread *Merge*

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Sarge;2471193 said:
Wades' defense held the Steelers offense to 13 points in their house. That is an excellent job. It wasn't a perfect game for Wade, but you hold that offense to 13 points, you should be winning that game.

Agreed, but we were also playing the number 1 overall defense in less than ideal conditions.

I'm not trying to give the defense a pass, but I think everybody on this team deserves the blame for this one.

Everson24

Reaction score
GoCowboysGo;2471134 said:
Why did the 'boys stop pressuring Roethlisberger? Why?

Why were they in a prevent and stop rushing the QB, it's as if Wade asked Pitt what they needed the 'boys to do so they could come back. They would've asked to please stop pressuring Roethlisberger. Wade obliged.:banghead:

They stopped after Newman got beat. Went to our numbskull zone defense.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
this is my view;
wade is a great defensive coordinator; but not as a head coach;
1. Wade said felix jones isnt right for kickoff returns, felix proved him wrong
2. Wade said i dont trust choice as backup rb, choice proved him wrong
3. Wade has kept special teams coach Read, special teams did us in on 2 key plays tonight, one for a big punt return that lead to a score
4. Granted Garrett was uninspired on offense to me too, but at same time, some of the players lost key practice time this week when good ole wade let flozell, greg ellis, columbo, T O, etc off on critical practice time, thats on wade
5. Just like someone pointed out, and I point this to 2 key points, the delay of game on offense and defense,
A. Ball from reports what I heard ran in and told greg ellis to get off the filed, greg refused, which resulted in delay of game, and we had the steelers stopped too
B. Romo tries to call time out, but no more time outs, again delay of game, on a critical play. This all points to poor executing and practice time during the week, that should have been done but obviously not done.
Just like babe laufenberg pointed out on the delay of game, and players thought they had time outs when they didnt, either some position coach or whomever is suppose to let the players know time outs are gone, no more, someone isnt doing their jobs, that comes to practicing that in practice and during training camp, you have to cover all scenarios and obviously that hasnt been done.

That to me points back to the Head Coach, getting those players ready.

And that wasnt done.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You've gotta be kidding me. We're blaiming Wade? He outcoached Tomlin today. Quit making guys scapegoats. This team has to be accountable for their own actions. These same mistakes they're making are the same ones they made when Parcells was here.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2471091 said:
I respect your opinion.

But I respect Jason a lot more than I do Wade.

That's cool, a difference of opinion doesn't have to turn into a flame-fest.

But I think this offense is far too filled with quality players to excuse Garret in any way and Wade is doing wonders with the defense. Our offense lost this game, plain and simple, from leaving our D hanging onto their fragile lead to Romo's turnovers and some lousy play calling.

landryscorner

Reaction score
the players fear...

Tired of timid Wade and his stupid press conf. where
he defends his players to the end of the earth.

He needs to start making his players accountable for
their actions on the field...from Tony to Ellis to the whole
dam Special Teams Staff/players.

We need a coach that the Players fear...not one they can cuddle
and love...just pathetic...UGHHHhhhh bring back the coaches of
old...dam I miss those days.:bang2:

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
khiladi;2471077 said:
Because Ratliff was OUT OF THE GAME ON THE LAST SERIES and a majority of the other series... Wade still blitzed up the middle but we got no interior push...

Our offense also had how many three and outs during that time? What was the offense doing to take the pressure off the defense, especially at that moment?

We looked to be playing very soft the last few minutes on Defense.
How many games has the offense won for our defense? It works both ways.
Our offense never really clicked today, Phillips had to see that and he needed
to find a way to keep the defense pushing, he didn't. That's on him same as our O being on Garrett.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;2471194 said:
Yes, I am misguided. The people that want the team in the hands of a coordinator who cant get a single one of his playmakers involved in a big game are right on the money. Fantastic insight.

We shall see who, in the final analysis, goes farther in this league.
The clueless, dumpy Wade or the smart and agile Jason.
I trust you will stick around to see it.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
rocyaice;2471223 said:
You've gotta be kidding me. We're blaiming Wade? He outcoached Tomlin today. Quit making guys scapegoats. This team has to be accountable for their own actions. These same mistakes they're making are the same ones they made when Parcells was here.

Yeah, I'm so pissed at Romo for making the Dallas D play prevent D, and stop pressuring Roethlisberger. I mean, it was really working great for most of the game until midway through the fourth quarter.

I'm also pissed at Romo for special teams play! If Romo would have had a better scheme on special teams preventing that huge return at the end we would've had a better chance!!

Yeah, it's totally Romo's fault for the D in the latter half of the fourth quarter, and for the terribly inept special teams.:bang2: :bang2:

Batman

Reaction score
How about we try and put some common sense into this thread. First of all, Wade Phillips is not even remotely to blame for this game. He had our defense and everyone on the team except Tony Romo fired up and ready for this game. If I look for anywhere to blame Wade Phillips for this, then I will be pulling my hair out and go crazy in doing so because there is no area where Phillips can be blamed. Was it Wade Phillips who gave the Steelers four turnovers(3 ints, 1 fumble). No, it was not Wade. It was Tony Romo. Maybe we should look for a QB who knows how to win a big game instead of blame Wade. Romo is choker. He does not have what it takes to win big games.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
wade outcoached tomlin till the last 6 minutes, then the team fell apart

and yes the head coach is responsible for the special teams, the offense and defense, its his territory, granted defense played great and offense didnt deliver the last drive before the interception

just look at the delay of game on offense and defense, look at the special teams, look at defensive meltdown last series, look at when wade says i dont trust choice as backup rb, so we run and run barber and he gets hurt; then good ole wade has to play choice, which wade said i dont trust choice, but what did choice did tonight, he played great;

that all points back to the head coach,

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2471248 said:
We shall see who, in the final analysis, goes farther in this league.
The clueless, dumpy Wade or the smart and agile Jason.
I trust you will stick around to see it.

I dont see how you can possibly say this crap after Wades defense came up HUGE, while Jason let Roy and TO flounder around for yet another week,

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Batman;2471296 said:
How about we try and put some common sense into this thread. First of all, Wade Phillips is not even remotely to blame for this game. He had our defense and everyone on the team except Tony Romo fired up and ready for this game. If I look for anywhere to blame Wade Phillips for this, then I will be pulling my hair out and go crazy in doing so because there is no area where Phillips can be blamed. Was it Wade Phillips who gave the Steelers four turnovers(3 ints, 1 fumble). No, it was not Wade. It was Tony Romo. Maybe we should look for a QB who knows how to win a big game instead of blame Wade. Romo is choker. He does not have what it takes to win big games.

My Zone bro:

So you are saying to get rid of Romo and keep Wade?

That is what I think you imply and what I infer.

Or was it that mushroom I had before the game?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;2471307 said:
I dont see how you can possibly say this crap after Wades defense came up HUGE, while Jason let Roy and TO flounder around for yet another week,

Defense played well for most of the game. But "huge"" When? Not in the last quarter.

Let me check the score again and I will get back to you.

Batman

Reaction score
I know that Wade Phillips is not the best coach in the NFL, but I am just seeing too many blame Wade Phillips threads in here and thought I would give my opinion. Moderators, I apologize to you if you think I should have put this in another thread, but I just feel a thread defending Wade would not be a bad idea.

Here are some things to think about. Did our defense come out and kick some butt today? Yes it did, we got 5 sacks and several pressures and forced some turnovers. Wade had our defense ready to go and they played like they should have.

How about Choice, he had the best game yet against the Steelers. It seemed like everyone on the team came to play except Tony Romo. Wade Phillips did not give the Steelers the ball 4 times like Romo did. Wade Phillips did not play with his head up has a**, but Tony Romo did. Tony Romo is the only reason we lost this game, not Wade Phillips. This loss is 100% on Romo, not Phillips. I am not a big fan of Phillips, but to blame him for this loss is completely uncalled for. You want to blame someone, blame the most overrated QB in the NFL, Tony Romo.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
landryscorner;2471245 said:
the players fear...

Tired of timid Wade and his stupid press conf. where
he defends his players to the end of the earth.

He needs to start making his players accountable for
their actions on the field...from Tony to Ellis to the whole
dam Special Teams Staff/players.

We need a coach that the Players fear...not one they can cuddle
and love...just pathetic...UGHHHhhhh bring back the coaches of
old...dam I miss those days.:bang2:

If Wade yelled at the players as much as he did last week at the press, he might be able to fire them up.

No, but it's much to easy to give his elite players extra time off. Then lose the next game. I guess some of his players needed extra-extra time off.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2471302 said:
wade outcoached tomlin till the last 6 minutes, then the team fell apart

and yes the head coach is responsible for the special teams, the offense and defense, its his territory, granted defense played great and offense didnt deliver the last drive before the interception

just look at the delay of game on offense and defense, look at the special teams, look at defensive meltdown last series, look at when wade says i dont trust choice as backup rb, so we run and run barber and he gets hurt; then good ole wade has to play choice, which wade said i dont trust choice, but what did choice did tonight, he played great;

that all points back to the head coach,

I don't think the team fell apart. Special teams put the D in bad position again, how many times in the second half?

They let up on the pressure they were getting on Roethlisberger! Wy did they stop, I haven't heard it yet! Why? Anyone, not even on the radio. No reason as to WHY we stopped bringing it!

utrunner07

Reaction score
Well giving the players days off when many of them clearly don't know the playbook, on both sides of the field, is a good place to start.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It's been asked and answered. He's not. Some people just resort to blaming the HC.