Wade, Wade, Wade

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Faerluna;2322444 said:
IIRC, it was Parcells saying the same type of things about TO's "overdose" during the PC that day.

He didn't know the details, he didn't have the answers and he had to repeat it six ways from Sunday after getting the same questions asked over and over.

Was he also a clown that couldn't dodge the media, or just a coach telling it like it is?

Exactly.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
41gy#;2322418 said:
Wait a minute here. Phillips comes out and says Jerry Jones will address Pacman, and he is bombarded with questions about Pacman after he makes the announcement. Pardon him for being angry to the same idiotic reporters who asked him these questions after a nine point win, after a tough loss to the Commanders.

Here is part of what the man has endured this week from the clowns in the Dallas media:

"Even though you did win, wouldn't you want your team to play the whole game, especially against a winless team"?

Calvin Watkins (DMN

"Coming off the Commanders game, do you look at yourself or evaluate yourself to see if your being hard enough on the team? Do you think you need to bear down on them a little bit more? Not playing well two weeks in a row against two teams you were heavily favored against".

Tom Orsborn (San Antonio Express)

This is an insult to Phillips. People take pride in their work. The guy is 17-5 as head coach in Dallas and won the division and the number one seed in the NFC. Is that the Super Bowl? No. However, this question is basically saying your "camp cupcake" and a "push over".

"If you tell your players x,y, and z, or what needs to improve, why are you reluctant to say that in public"? "They (the players) already know".

Todd Archer (DMN)

Do you want your boss telling the world or other teams (in the NFL in this case) your weaknesses? They already have the film. Is there any need to embarrass the players in public or throw them to the wolves, in this case, the media?

"Your up 17-0, and you hit a lull. Why do you think that happened? Do you think the team relaxes"?

Todd Archer (DMN)

Again, this is another attack on Phillips being "tough enough" or "soft" on the players. It is the "camp cupcake" attack.

"You have a hard time acknowledging you won, but you didn't play well. How you win, doesn't that matter, considering that the ultimate goal is something better than a regular season record"?

Jennifer Floyd Engel (FWST)

People wonder why Phillips is so defensive and looks at things in a positive light. Well, just look at these questions. Can it get any more negative after a 9 point win in the NFL? It was the 5th game of the year. The team is hearing how bad they are after a nine point win. Phillips defends his team in public and he should. Romo throws 3 TDs but has the interception thrown right in his face, right off the bat.

This dude cuts to the chase. You don't need to read between the lines on this one, even though the theme is spread in the other questions.

"Do you worry through the media, you get the reputation of being a softy?

Steve Dennis (Dallas Local T.V. Reporter)

"Have you talked to Tony about his turn overs"? A legit question, but it is another negative question.

"How curious are you about Terrell's behavior yesterday...crying on the sideline"?

Steve Dennis

"Would you normally worry about T.O.'s frame of mind... mode... watching that is odd..in your 31 years of coaching... Curious... Want to discuss"?

"Do you think we're making it up"?

Todd Archer (DMN)

"We have video of it"?

Steve Dennis

Those were the T.O. is "crazy" questions where they seemed to put Phillips on trial. The idiots took the ESPN bait before they learned Owens suffered a death in his family.

Idiots!

"Is there something wrong with holding this team to a level of expectations"?

Clarance Hill (FWST)

No, Clarance. How about having fair or realistic expectations.

After the interrogation was over, Archer decided to ask two actual tactical football questions.

"What did the Bengals do that they hadn't showed before"?

"Does T.O. have a hard time getting off the line in man press"?

So, pardon Phillips for getting a little chippy with some of these negative, out to get you, excuses for reporters.

All of this comes with the job. Wade knows it. Jerry knows it.

Deal with it Wade! Don't keep looking for Jerry to tell you how to act. When they asked him is he was disappointed about the situation he had nothing.

What is he a ****ing robot for Jerry.

The man is the head coach, not the water boy.

Ridiculous. He's supposed to be the head honcho, instead he comes off like a high school coach who is coming under fire because a few of his 'kids' missed curfew on a road trip and he doesn't want to get them in trouble.

I am so tired of Wade it isn't even funny anymore.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2322452 said:

You honestly think Parcells didn't have all the info that day, lol.

Parcells was the biggest micro manager in the NFL. He knew everything and if he would have spoke his mind on the topic it would have been a disaster.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2322482 said:
You honestly think Parcells didn't have all the info that day, lol.

Parcells was the biggest micro manager in the NFL. He knew everything and if he would have spoke his mind on the topic it would have been a disaster.

Of course Parcells had all the info. He just didn't want to comment on it -- just like Wade today. Like you said, nothing good could come of it anyway.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Wade isn't obligated to answer everything or anything, truthfully or otherwise. Press conferences aren't some big hearing with the media holding a gavel.

What he says may or may not be the entire truth, and what the Dallas media reports certainly isn't the entire truth.

If we could weigh the amount of truth in Wade's words versus the crap the media is spouting, I'll take Wade every time.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Draegerman;2321789 said:
That's the first time that I have ever seen him this upset with the media. He really looked uncomfortable up there and appeared to be clearly out of his element.

He's always talked about the pressure and limelight that shines on the Cowboys and if you cant take it you're in the wrong place...

Well...

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
rangers71;2322153 said:
I think he needs some more time to get his type of players in here.

So maybe we should bring in Merriman and Jammer?

Jerra, when are you gonna give poor Ol' Wade some defensive help? Spend some money!
:laugh2:

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2322586 said:
He's always talked about the pressure and limelight that shines on the Cowboys and if you cant take it you're in the wrong place...

Well...

Perhaps because he's being repeatedly asked questions for which he has no answer?

Maybe he just wants to talk about something totally insane like...I don't know...football?

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Faerluna;2322604 said:
Perhaps because he's being repeatedly asked questions for which he has no answer?

Maybe he just wants to talk about something totally insane like...I don't know...football?

I agree. But he handled the whole situation terribly.

Just ask yourself, how would Parcells have handled that situation? A little different than Wade I bet. Thats what I mean by I dont think he can handle the pressure and limelight.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
NextGenBoys;2322613 said:
I agree. But he handled the whole situation terribly.

Just ask yourself, how would Parcells have handled that situation? A little different than Wade I bet. Thats what I mean by I dont think he can handle the pressure and limelight.

I doubt that very many people out there are accustomed to being jumped by a marauding band of media a-holes and badgered for 30 minutes on a sensitive topic you're not allowed to talk about. Cut the man some slack, sheesh! :D

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stasheroo;2321831 said:
How many years of 'progression' does a guy like Phillips need?

As for Garrett, he could still very well be 'learning on the job".

I guess the point that struck me was one I believe in - that some guys are good coordinators and poor head coaches.

They excel to a certain level but fail on the next one.

Guys like Buddy Ryan, Ray Rhodes, Norv Turner etc were excellent coordinators but poor head coaches.

I'm not blasting either Garrett or Phillips but the comment did get me wondering anyway.

Wade's HC record before he even came to the Cowboys was better than about 2/3rds of the then HCs in the league, IIRC.

tunahelper

Reaction score
41gy#;2322418 said:
Wait a minute here. Phillips comes out and says Jerry Jones will address Pacman, and he is bombarded with questions about Pacman after he makes the announcement. Pardon him for being angry to the same idiotic reporters who asked him these questions after a nine point win, after a tough loss to the Commanders.

I agree he puts up with needless crap from media idiots. My hope is he has the ability to dish it back?

Watching the PC he clearly demonstrated the inability to think on his feet. Man if he cant handle some reporters asking questions about a scuffle how does he perform during in game ajustment decisions?

tunahelper

Reaction score
Faerluna;2322444 said:
IIRC, it was Parcells saying the same type of things about TO's "overdose" during the PC that day.

He didn't know the details, he didn't have the answers and he had to repeat it six ways from Sunday after getting the same questions asked over and over.

Was he also a clown that couldn't dodge the media, or just a coach telling it like it is?

I think most can agree that BP never took a backseat to Jerry. I feel BP took this approach because he could not stand TO or his issues.

The difference as I recall was Wade was nearing a nervous breakdown and Parcells acted indifferent.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
tunahelper;2322895 said:
The difference as I recall was Wade was nearing a nervous breakdown and Parcells acted indifferent.

That's not how it appeared to me at all. He sat there and answered questions to the best of his ability, despite obvious irritation at the mediots.

I remember Parcells getting asked questions he didn't want to answer and he got up and walked out.

If Wade did that, it would just be more cupcakes on the fire for the haters.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Faerluna;2322947 said:
That's not how it appeared to me at all. He sat there and answered questions to the best of his ability, despite obvious irritation at the mediots.

I remember Parcells getting asked questions he didn't want to answer and he got up and walked out.

If Wade did that, it would just be more cupcakes on the fire for the haters.

So let me get this straight:

Unless you're supporting everything Wade does or says you're a "hater"?

Just so I understand.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
stasheroo;2322951 said:
So let me get this straight:

Just so I understand.

Maybe you should try reading the entire thread so you can see the context in which my posts are written.

In this incident, the OP is trying to say that Wade was flustered, on the verge of a nervous breakdown because he can't handle the pressure.

I am pointing out that Wade is not the only coach to become frustrated with the media's incessant, idiotic line of questions about a subject that he cannot, or possibly will not answer.

People that do not like Wade as a coach will take every opportunity to find fault in him for whatever reason they can glean from the smallest minutia.

These things, for me, all fall under the same category as calling Tony a punk for wearing his hat backward or looking glum on the sidelines is a sign of poor leadership.

What I'm not saying is that Wade gets a pass on every occasion out of what you believe is homerism, kool-aid drinking, sheep-ism or whatever other name you might attribute to someone that actually likes Wade as a coach.

Is that clear enough?

Kilyin

Reaction score
stasheroo;2322951 said:

I'd say it's more along the lines of bashing the guy because of a frickin press conference makes you a hater.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Faerluna;2322960 said:
Maybe you should try reading the entire thread so you can see the context in which my posts are written.

In this incident, the OP is trying to say that Wade was flustered, on the verge of a nervous breakdown because he can't handle the pressure.

I am pointing out that Wade is not the only coach to become frustrated with the media's incessant, idiotic line of questions about a subject that he cannot, or possibly will not answer.

People that do not like Wade as a coach will take every opportunity to find fault in him for whatever reason they can glean from the smallest minutia.

These things, for me, all fall under the same category as calling Tony a punk for wearing his hat backward or looking glum on the sidelines is a sign of poor leadership.

What I'm not saying is that Wade gets a pass on every occasion out of what you believe is homerism, kool-aid drinking, sheep-ism or whatever other name you might attribute to someone that actually likes Wade as a coach.

Is that clear enough?

Yeah, clear as mud.

You hold people to standards that you yourself don't meet. Thanks for telling me what you're not saying.

I've got it now, thanks.