Ware Release: has the Organization Changed? ***Ware Mega Merge-place all Ware threads here please***

erod

Reaction score
Why would you take an $8 million cap hit, then pay him another $6 million on top of that?

Why not just pay him $8 million on a reduction?

Ware played this very poorly.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Why would you take an $8 million cap hit, then pay him another $6 million on top of that?

Why not just pay him $8 million on a reduction?

Ware played this very poorly.

He never had the leverage. He was counting on JJ overpaying for loyalty. The DE is market is low again this year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet Jerry offered him about $6 mil to stick around. If someone offers him 7 or 8 mil, which they very well might, he'll be offering his services to another team. It really doesn't behoove us to chance overpaying Ware any longer. We're in a position whereby we'll be obliged to spend a considerable amount to keep those like Tyron, Dez and others in tow. I'd be very surprised if some talent-needy team doesn't make it totally outrageous for us to outbid them for Ware's services.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
We have to eat his entire 8.5m cap hit already. Anything new would only add to that. If there was a deal to be done, it would've been done before his release.

Guys keep on fixating on differentials but when people carp about dead money they neglect to consider that some of it was already counting on the current year. In Ware's case where he only had this year and net left, half of the $8.5m had already hit.

2014: $12m base + $4m proration
2015: $13m base + $4m proration

Now its

2014: $8m accelerated proration
2015: nothing

This means we have plenty of wiggle to sign multiple FA in the FA period AND we have room in the 2014 cap to work out contracts during the year for our own guys.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Because people that wanted him cut will lose their minds and blame Jerry if he gets 10+ sacks.

Oh you can count on that.

And . . . . . . Its funny how people are complaining that Jerry has paid too many older players who are declining and affected by injury so now he doesnt have the cap room to keep Ware and do the same with him.
angrysmiley18.gif

Zordon

Reaction score
Why stop @ Ware? If you're willing to start making cuts instead of keeping this together for one last go round. Why not blow this up now? Makes no sense. The window is shutting quickly w/ Romo. And today...Jerry just slammed it shut.

Good question. Romo's contract makes less and less sense every day. 2014 should have been the year to make a complete cut from the past.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Guys keep on fixating on differentials but when people carp about dead money they neglect to consider that some of it was already counting on the current year. In Ware's case where he only had this year and net left, half of the $8.5m had already hit.

Now its

This means we have plenty of wiggle to sign multiple FA in the FA period AND we have room in the 2014 cap to work out contracts during the year for our own guys.

You're right. It frees up 17m next year alone. They can sign a couple guys and extend Dez and TSmith.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Please explain the fascination of getting younger that is taking over these boards? Getting younger doesn't mean squat if the young players you bring in can't play. Jerry Jones is still calling the shots and the Parcells guys are disappearing.

I don't care about young or old. I care about winning championships.

So we should've stuck with Aikman a few more seasons bc it only resulted in QC? That's scared thinking and not helpful to a stagnant unit.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Please explain the fascination of getting younger that is taking over these boards? Getting younger doesn't mean squat if the young players you bring in can't play. Jerry Jones is still calling the shots and the Parcells guys are disappearing.

I don't care about young or old. I care about winning championships.

Exactly. This reminds me of when we cut Gurode and Davis... "It's a new era! We're finally getting younger! The coaches are letting the best players play instead of defaulting to the old vets!"

And then when Costa and Arkin and Nagy couldn't play a lick, the cry was that our poor coaching staff was saddled with cap hell and they had no choice but to let those good players go.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
So we should've stuck with Aikman a few more seasons bc it only resulted in QC? That's scared thinking and not helpful to a stagnant unit.

No. Some moves are based on common sense and should be made.

Getting younger should be a goal in making this team better. It should not be a rallying cry for kicking every decent player to the curb simply because they've passed the mystical age of 30.

Younger doesn't mean better.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
No. Some moves are common sense and should be made.

Getting younger should be a goal in making this team better. It should not be a rallying cry for kicking every decent player to the curb simply because they've passed the mystical age of 30.

Younger doesn't mean better.

But Ware also wouldn't take the cut, so @ 12 mil/yr, it made sense.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Yes. I love DWare, but the last two years was not worth the money. I'm sure he'll be a beast this year with someone else, but I would have still made the move. I wish he would have taken a pay cut...but...oh well!

joseephuss

Reaction score

Now its

Which means that they would be in better position now to sign Ware to a new contract than trying to re-work his old contract. I don't expect that to happen, but it would work out better for Dallas if it did happen.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 25s
How much interest has DeMarcus Ware received? Six playoff teams have called. He’d like to move quickly if possible.

He's not coming back.....that bridge has been burned. And now players like Hatcher...or any free agent are avoiding the Cowboys like the plague. Jerry Jones is the anti-christ!!!!!

ksadler1

Reaction score
Without a doubt it was the right thing to do. We are not winning a SB with our without Ware. Hate to see him go but it was the best thing to do for the team. We have a lot of catching up to do and paying an injury prone, aging star over 12 mil a year is not the way to start. As a matter of fact, it's time to start seriously looking at other aging stars on the roster too. I'm not saying "this year", but needs to be soon.....