Was Aikman overrated?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Me and a buddy are in a disagreement. He says Aikman was overrated and he's in the Hall of Fame because he was on a great team and that he was a bus driver.
I said to him, without Aikman Cowboys don't win 3 Super Bowls if any at all. Aikman did what he had to do and it wasn't about gawdy stats but if Aikman had to put up big numbers than he could have.

Aikman lost the 98 playoff game vs the cards.

(just like Dak did last year vs 49ers.)

Aikman seemed to start his decline in 97.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Me and a buddy are in a disagreement. He says Aikman was overrated and he's in the Hall of Fame because he was on a great team and that he was a bus driver.
I said to him, without Aikman Cowboys don't win 3 Super Bowls if any at all. Aikman did what he had to do and it wasn't about gawdy stats but if Aikman had to put up big numbers than he could have.
Did your friend see Aikman play

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah, but we were talking about present day. His stats, today's game. Read what I responded to historian.

Once Aikman lost Irvin, he was done. He was a very good QB on a loaded team and he road Emmitt's coat tails right into the HOF. Weather that gets your panties in a bunch is your problem. His last 4 years he averaged a TD or less a game and his completion % sucked. He had almost as many picks as TD's for his career. Put your era spin on that for me.

Tune into Monday night football and watch Mahomes pass Aikman's career TD mark in his 4th season. Have a few drinks first, it will help.
we aren't allowed an opinion because its Taboo to rip the 90s players or make compas fans dont like..
however they can tear romo and dak to shreds and when we defend them, we are homers..

I dont think Aikmans career was overrated but his regular season production shows he was very overrated in sense, he was just buis driver, but he stepped up his game in the payoffs. dude had 165 tds to 144 INT and 61% comp% all would be tron to shreds here..dak cant have one bad game before they want him cut and gone. lmao a bunch of hypocrites with poor memory's and when i post those stats they make excuses. Those are low Comp % and piss poor td-INT ratio but hey its Troy, lets defend it with excuses.

Many here claim romo was a choke artist with far suprior TD-INT ratio 80 more tds less career INTs i mean whose the choker 144 iNT seems to be closer to that term. wouldn't a choke artist fo gin slinger have far more INTs?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
lmao, go ahead and say you think Dak is better than Aikman. You won't get horse laughed too bad.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
we aren't allowed an opinion because its Taboo to rip the 90s players or make compas fans dont like..
however they can tear romo and dak to shreds and when we defend them, we are homers..

I dont think Aikmans career was overrated but his regular season production shows he was very overrated in sense, he was just buis driver, but he stepped up his game in the payoffs. dude had 165 tds to 144 INT and 61% comp% all would be tron to shreds here..dak cant have one bad game before they want him cut and gone. lmao a bunch of hypocrites with poor memory's and when i post those stats they make excuses. Those are low Comp % and piss poor td-INT ratio but hey its Troy, lets defend it with excuses.

Many here claim romo was a choke artist with far suprior TD-INT ratio 80 more tds less career INTs i mean whose the choker 144 iNT seems to be closer to that term. wouldn't a choke artist fo gin slinger have far more INTs?

Sounds like you are saying Aikman was a choker after winning 3 Super Bowls but forget to mention that the rules in the 90's were very different wherein the rules didn't favor the offense. Also, consider you have players that are far superior in their athletic abilities than in the 90's so any attempt to dismiss Aikman with a comparison of a more recent player is insanity.

PS
Aikman threw 141 career INT's not 144. Also of note is Aikman threw 36 INT's his first 2 seasons and 20 TD's so beyond the first 2 seasons of a piss poor team and growth Aikman threw for 145 TD's to 105 INT's....not great of course but again, a different era of football play. Oh, and Aikman was 11-4 in the playoffs so he clearly showed up when needed.

Big_D

Reaction score
Fans love to lean on the overgeneralized "different eras" argument and act like Aikman was playing against Y.A. Tittle.

Sure, folks weren't throwing for 5,000+ yards and 50 TDs, but there were plenty of guys throwing for 4,000-4,500+ yards and 30-35 TDs a season during Aikman's prime years.

I also find the claim "oh, he coulda thrown for a million yards if he wanted to!" unconvincing. It doesn't even pass the barstool test; imagine if some Eagles or Giants fan made the same unsubstantiated claim about their QB. How many of you would buy it, lol?

Aikman's a HOFer. End of story.

When you have the highest scoring RB in the history of football, that’s pretty convincing.

3 championships and as clutch as you get in those situations and you’re gonna call him a choker? Now that’s funny!

ChosenOne

Reaction score
it was a different game back then, young padawans... the WRs these days would be crying in the shower in fetal positions if they played back then.

Naruto

Reaction score
Aikman is the greatest bus driver of all time

he also played in a different NFL with defenders allowed to maul WRs

with the proven greatest rushing attack in NFL history why risk airing it out with Aikman?

Put Aikman in todays NFL with his accuracy I’d say he would compare favorably to a Matt Stafford

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but we were talking about present day. His stats, today's game. Read what I responded to historian.

Once Aikman lost Irvin, he was done. He was a very good QB on a loaded team and he road Emmitt's coat tails right into the HOF. Weather that gets your panties in a bunch is your problem. His last 4 years he averaged a TD or less a game and his completion % sucked. He had almost as many picks as TD's for his career. Put your era spin on that for me.

Tune into Monday night football and watch Mahomes pass Aikman's career TD mark in his 4th season. Have a few drinks first, it will help.

Aikman played only one year longer than Irvin. So, the fact you make a statement like "he sucked after he lost Irvin, just proves to me that you are nothing but a troll.

You cannot compare stats from different eras of football. You can't make a statistical argument for just about any QB other than Marino if you do it that way. From late 1990 to around 1996, a span of 7 season, nobody was better. In the playoffs, which is where he really stood out, he was just about untouchable. If you didn't see him play against the players from his generation, and all you have to reference are a page of stats, you not only miss the big picture but don't know what you are talking about.

Insomniac

Reaction score
Among QB's whose career overlapped with Aikman his career is consistently rated behind Montana, Elway, Favre and Marino. I looked at a couple lists and Aikman was ranked 13th on one and 14th on 2 others. He had a relatively short career and really didn't do much after age 30. Seems like he's rated about right.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
when im looking at all these number from our best qbs the last 35years all i see is teams and coaches failed Dak and Romo and were there for Troy./.no real difference in Indvidual play. Troy had a giant advantage
He did, and he knew how to use it.

Dodger12

Reaction score

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Not even a clue.....Do you know what Staubach's career QB rating was? 83 and he wasn't even a 60% career passer. Dan Marino wasn't a 60% career completion passer and his career QB rating was 86. John Elway had a 56.9 career completion percentage and a 79.9 career QB rating. All these QB's were elite franchise QB's in their generation.

A QB is judged by his peers and Aikman was an elite QB in his generation. The only QB's of that era and before who had a higher completion percentage were Steve Young and Brett Farve. If any of these QB's I mentioned played in today's two hand touch NFL where you can't touch the QB or WR, they'd re-write the record books.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
ditto but that easy for one weve been posting since 2018 and i have 10x the posts and likes says my level of commitment is exactly what i said, only difference back then is i had to egt Newpapers sports section and highlighter to go find stories and stats then debate with real people, who would not be a keyboard strong man because they would have to own it. call me liar in person and find out. i have 6 boxes of old Newpapers and old gear and trinkets form the old days, used to display them, all over the house

.. the ignore list is easy..BYE i don't debate with stubborn poster who have to be right so much they call me Liar and don't know anything about me..you sir are a horse back end and deserve the list. only way to shut up those that wont let it go...

.IGNORE
[I say you are WRONG even Jim kelly put up a much Bigger stat line all in the same era troy was average in the regular season much better in the playoffs..sorry, i say you are wrong and im not being persuaded otherwise..BOTH are opinions. doesn't make mine wrong..]

You call him the "stubborn poster" after writing ^^^ this ^^^ just a few posts back?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Overrated is a big word.

I think in our fan communtiy Aikman gets more credit than he deserves.

To me he was a good QB. But far from elite. With his skills he was a great fit for our system. But he also needed talent around him to be successful. You can see this when we were struggeling in the late 90s.
Pretty much the only asset Aikman didn't have was mobility. Other than that, he had it all.

dfense

Reaction score

Aikman played only one year longer than Irvin. So, the fact you make a statement like "he sucked after he lost Irvin, just proves to me that you are nothing but a troll.

You cannot compare stats from different eras of football. You can't make a statistical argument for just about any QB other than Marino if you do it that way. From late 1990 to around 1996, a span of 7 season, nobody was better. In the playoffs, which is where he really stood out, he was just about untouchable. If you didn't see him play against the players from his generation, and all you have to reference are a page of stats, you not only miss the big picture but don't know what you are talking about.[/QUOTE]

There's your whole problem right there. You literally misquote what is written right in front of you. I said he was done after Irvin went down. Never said Aikman sucked.

BHendri5

Reaction score

HELL YES!!!!!! and I have been a Cowboys fan for 52/53 yrs, !!!! I loved that Aikman was a great game manager/ie Bus Driver, he was great at it