Was Aikman overrated?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Aikman had 5 great seasons in the league when he was on one of the most talented teams in NFL history and looked good to absolutely terrible outside of that. Yes, he's overrated when he's talked about as one of the best.

Having said that, he's still one of my favorite players of all time and I actually enjoy him as a commentator as well.

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
Yah even Aikman said that he was very frustrated with the latter half of his career but the cupboards were getting bare in those days. Drafting Randy Moss could have done wonders for Aikman in 98.

pansophy

Reaction score
HOF arm talent and precision. Below average when plays broke down.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zero All-Pro teams. Five of 12 seasons at .500 or below. Barely more touchdown passes (165) than interceptions (141). His approximate value on pro-football-reference ranks No. 167 overall, behind Warrick Dunn, Ricky Watters, Steve McMichael, Henry Ellard, Randall Cunningham, Boomer Esiason, Drew Bledsoe, London Fletcher, Dave Krieg, Donovan McNabb and so many other ridiculous names. Brad Johnson has more touchdown passes as does Jon Kitna, Chris Chandler and Jim Everett and, well, so many other ridiculous names. His passer rating is 49th in league history. He has three Super Bowls? Great. That’s one more than Eli Manning. Aikman was a fine NFL quarterback. He was a very fine NFL quarterback. At points he was a superb NFL quarterback. He was not a Hall of Fame quarterback.
Too late. He’s already a HOFer. And a serious reminder that stats alone are never the best way to measure HOF worthiness. You have to have lots of context. Troy didn’t play in the pass dominant era of today.

When Aikman retired, real football experts like John Madden, Jimmy Johnson, Hank Stram, and Pat Summerall…all HOFers themselves- said Troy Aikman was the most accurate QB they had ever seen.

irishline

Reaction score
Says the Great Wall of Dallas made Emmitt great. I say Emmitt made that line look great.

Fun fact. 60% of that "Great Wall" line from the 92 and 93 Super Bowls were starters when the team was 1-15 (Tuinei, Newton, and Gogan). None of them were rookies, all with at least 3 years under their belt in 1989. And the starting Center was Tom Rafferty (who started in two Cowboys Super Bowls and five NFC Championship games earlier in his career), so its not like he was a weak link they were covering for.

That line grew to be fantastic, but Emmitt was there for that growth. Its not like he came in when there were already a "Great Wall".

When Aikman retired, real football experts like John Madden, Jimmy Johnson, Hank Stram, and Pat Summerall…all HOFers themselves- said Troy Aikman was the most accurate QB they had ever seen.

Was going to type something similar, but couldn't say it any better than this. He was the most accurate QB to play the game up to and through his time in the NFL.

irishline

Reaction score
Too late. He’s already a HOFer. And a serious reminder that stats alone are never the best way to measure HOF worthiness. You have to have lots of context. Troy didn’t play in the pass dominant era of today.

Troy Aikman the last few years was not the same player. Not just the team around him, he just looked different. Maybe too many concussions (supposedly between 6 and 8 serious ones at least). I often wonder what his career path would have looked like if that weren't the case. Well that and if we weren't bone headed enough to pass on one Mr. Randy Moss in 1998 to pair with Irvin.

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
The Aikman the last few years was not the same. Maybe too many concussions (supposedly between 6 and 8 serious ones at leats). I often wonder what his career path would have looked like if that weren't the case. Well that and if we weren't bone headed enough to pass on one Mr. Randy Moss in 1998 to pair with Irvin.
Quite possible Irvin never goes down with injury and extends his career because they never find the narrowing of his spinal column. Would to like have seen Aikman throwing to Moss.

irishline

Reaction score

"Troy's arm is a gift from God"
...Michael Irvin

Enough said.

Dallas5xchamps

Reaction score
I think Troy sacrificed personal stats for rings. I really believe, that if he was a selfish QB Dallas doesn't win 3 rings. In my humble opinion, the 1994 NfC Championship game was a glimpse of what Troy could do if he were let loose for 10-12 years

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I think Troy sacrificed personal stats for rings. I really believe, that if he was a selfish QB Dallas doesn't win 3 rings. In my humble opinion, the 1994 NfC Championship game was a glimpse of what Troy could do if he were let loose for 10-12 years

Turned the ball over 3 times in that game though.

yentl911

Reaction score
Was a guiding force keeping some of those heathens in order. Perfectionist. Super accurate. Respected. Leader. Had mobility but was limited as the years passed. Absolutely was not overrated. The man was a stud.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
He played in a different era. Alot more focused on the running game, and QBs weren't by rule, virtually untouchable, like they are now.
Aikman got the living crap beat out of him in the early years. Was known for taking the hit to make the play.

That no doubt contributed to some of the problem he had later in his career.