Was Dak the best QB of the 2016 draft?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Passer rating and QBR lol

Kirk Cousins has a better career passer rating then Dak. Are you ready to admit that Kirk is better?

I have no problem that Cousins has had slightly better passing numbers (97.9 to 97.3) than Dak to this point however we all know guys who play in the WCO typically have inflated passer rating owing to the generally shorter and easier throws that offense features. However looking at QBR, which encompasses more of the whole player it's pretty easy tol see that Dak is better.. A LOT better. Dak's QBR is more than 10 points higher over the course of his career than Cousins. In the last 5 years Cousins' Qbrs have been 66.2, 56, 59.65, 60.4, 63.2.. Over that same timeframe Dak has gone 77.6, 69.9, 55.8, 71.9, 78.7. In short Dak has absolutely crushed Cousins in overall QB play. If you want to say Cousins throws the ball better.. fine.. go ahead. In terms of effectively playing the position however, it's Dak and it's not even close.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I have no problem that Cousins has had slightly better passing numbers (97.9 to 97.3) than Dak to this point however we all know guys who play in the WCO typically have inflated passer rating owing to the generally shorter and easier throws that offense features. However looking at QBR, which encompasses more of the whole player it's pretty easy tol see that Dak is better.. A LOT better. Dak's QBR is more than 10 points higher over the course of his career than Cousins. In the last 5 years Cousins' Qbrs have been 66.2, 56, 59.65, 60.4, 63.2.. Over that same timeframe Dak has gone 77.6, 69.9, 55.8, 71.9, 78.7. In short Dak has absolutely crushed Cousins in overall QB play. If you want to say Cousins throws the ball better.. fine.. go ahead. In terms of effectively playing the position however, it's Dak and it's not even close.
What has Dak done at the QB position that Kirk has not to make things "not even close"?

Other then these terribly flawed made up formulas like QBR or passer rating.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
What has Dak done at the QB position that Kirk has not to make things "not even close"?

What has Dak done that Cousins has not? First of all, all formulas are made up. They are attempts to quantify what we see on the field. But what do you want? Wins and losses? Dak has a much higher winning percentage. What things can a QB do to help a team win.. Take care of the ball? Throw more TDs than INTs is a good start. Dak has a better TD/INT ration than Cousins. Hang onto the ball maybe? Dak has 21 lost fumbles in 69 games.. Cousins has 42 lost fumbles in 109 games. So Dak takes care of the ball better. Putting the ball in the end zone help? Dak has 24 rushing TDs in 69 games to 16 rushing TDs in 109 games for Cousins. It's hard to find areas of the game that say Cousins is better than Dak. Yes he has better passing numbers .. but that margin is tiny and as Dak enters his QB prime I expect him to blow right past Cousins in the passing numbers while continuing to be far superior in most other metrics.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
What has Dak done that Cousins has not? First of all, all formulas are made up. They are attempts to quantify what we see on the field. But what do you want? Wins and losses? Dak has a much higher winning percentage. What things can a QB do to help a team win.. Take care of the ball? Throw more TDs than INTs is a good start. Dak has a better TD/INT ration than Cousins. Hang onto the ball maybe? Dak has 21 lost fumbles in 69 games.. Cousins has 42 lost fumbles in 109 games. So Dak takes care of the ball better. Putting the ball in the end zone help? Dak has 24 rushing TDs in 69 games to 16 rushing TDs in 109 games for Cousins. It's hard to find areas of the game that say Cousins is better than Dak. Yes he has better passing numbers .. but that margin is tiny and as Dak enters his QB prime I expect him to blow right past Cousins in the passing numbers while continuing to be far superior in most other metrics.
"It's hard to find areas of the game that say Cousins is better than Dak. Yes he has better passing numbers"

Well, is it hard or not? lol

Hadenough

Reaction score
Cousins and Dak are pretty much the same player with same results. Cousins has a slight edge in being a better passer. Neither guy is going to win you a championship.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Okay I'm tired of clicking. Your turn.
Here's a comparison of Cousins vs Prescott.

The vote stands at 61 Prescott, 60 Cousins.
Knock yourselves out!

https://nflcomparisons.com/kirk-cousins-vs-dak-prescott-comparison/
Wow Cousins has a lot more TD passes, a lot more yards and a higher completion percentage and a higher TD completion percentage. I only compared 2016 to current and Prescott did miss some games but Cousins had slightly better stats. Cousins had a better QB rating so the people who scoff at the idea that these two guys are about equal just doesn't want to put Dak in a realistic category.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Wow Cousins has a lot more TD passes, a lot more yards and a higher completion percentage and a higher TD completion percentage. I only compared 2016 to current and Prescott did miss some games but Cousins had slightly better stats. Cousins had a better QB rating so the people who scoff at the idea that these two guys are about equal just doesn't want to put Dak in a realistic category.

If you compared 2016 to present stats you compared a guy in his 5th through 10th year to a guy in his 1st through 5th? Even doing that Cousins passing numbers are only SLIGHTLY better. Maybe compare Cousins's rookie to 5th seasons to Dak's rookie to 5th seasons. I know you don't want to do that because Dak would absolutely crush him. As Dak enters HIS 5th through 10th seasons there is every reason to believe his trajectory will rocket him past Cousins. AS A PASSER. In terms of QBR, which encompasses the entire body of work of a QB Dak has already put Cousins in the rear view mirror. Dak simply is a better football player.. which probably explains why his winning percentage is miles ahead of Cousins.. who is a .500 player despite playing the bulk of his career for Mike Shanahan and Mike Zimmer ... two guys I don't think anyone here would hesitate to take over Jason Garrett. As long as the Cowboys continue to run a more down the field passing attack and the Vikings keep running a version of the WCO Cousins' will always have inflated passing numbers. But because he is an inferior football player he will likely always have a worse won/loss record than Dak.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Was he the best?

I don't know. There are so many elements that factor into the "best."

He had the best talent on his side of the ball. Better than Wentz's talent and better than Goff's talent.
But both Wentz and Goff played with better defenses than Dak did.

Here's what I ask: If Wentz and Goff were in Dak's shoes and Dak were in Wentz's and Goff's shoes, what would have happened.
I think if Dak were in Goff's shoes, the Rams still make the playoffs and the Super Bowl. I think if Wentz was in Goff's shoes, they still make the Super Bowl but lose.

I think if Goff were in Dak's shoes, they would not have succeeded any farther than Dak. I think Wentz with Dak's weapons would have gone further. I think they beat Green Bay.

If Dak were playing with Philly, I don't think they get to the Super Bowl. Dak needs players around him. If Goff were playing with Philly that Super Bowl year, the Eagles don't make it.

So I would give Wentz a slight edge BUT ... Wentz is injury prone, and I have to factor that into the best.

In conclusion, I would give Dak just a slight edge so far because of Wentz's injury. But I think Wentz is a slightly - razor-thin margin - better quarterback than Dak.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Was he the best?

He had the best talent on his side of the ball. Better than Wentz's talent and better than Goff's talent.

Here's what I ask: If Wentz and Goff were in Dak's shoes and Dak were in Wentz's and Goff's shoes, what would have happened.
I think if Dak were in Goff's shoes, the Rams still make the playoffs and the Super Bowl. I think if Wentz was in Goff's shoes, they still make the Super Bowl but lose.

I think if Goff were in Dak's shoes, they would not have succeeded any farther than Dak. I think Wentz with Dak's weapons would have gone further. I think they beat Green Bay.

If Dak were playing with Philly, I don't think they get to the Super Bowl. Dak needs players around him. If Goff were playing with Philly that Super Bowl year, the Eagles don't make it.

So I would give Wentz a slight edge BUT ... Wentz is injury prone, and I have to factor that into the best.

In conclusion, I would give Dak just a slight edge because of Wentz's injury. But I think Wentz is slightly - razor-thin margin - better than Dak.

You talking about a dude who was benched for stinking up the joint and then shipped out of town for being a lil biatch is better than Dak? Okay.. you cling to the nostalgia of one magical 13 game run before getting hurt if you wish. Dak has had the better career.. has the better won/loss record... The dude was the LOWEST RATED STARTING QB IN THE NFL in 2020. But he's better than Dak because he had a nice year 4 years ago and then had a nice 4 game run in 2019. GTFOH.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

so QBR doesn't fit your argument, therefore it must be flawed, until such time, in another thread and argument it fits your argument and thus you use it to prove your point.

QBR is much better statistical measure than QB rating, everyone says it and uses it these days.

and I thought you mentioned before that wins/losses and team accomplishments dont' fully fall on the QB, but you are seemingly hinting other wise......

wish we had Zimmer as opposed to Garrett. what could have been.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
but but but those measures don't matter...it doesn't fit my argument.. LOL....just wait for it...its coming

:hammer:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Cousins and Dak are pretty much the same player with same results. Cousins has a slight edge in being a better passer. Neither guy is going to win you a championship.
are you willing to put money down on Dak not winning a championship...you sound so sure...I wonder if you are willing to back it up?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
but but but those measures don't matter...it doesn't fit my argument.. LOL....just wait for it...its coming

:hammer:
"It's hard to find areas of the game that say Cousins is better than Dak. Yes he has better passing numbers"

The post you replied to literally has that quote in it lol

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If you compared 2016 to present stats you compared a guy in his 5th through 10th year to a guy in his 1st through 5th? Even doing that Cousins passing numbers are only SLIGHTLY better. Maybe compare Cousins's rookie to 5th seasons to Dak's rookie to 5th seasons. I know you don't want to do that because Dak would absolutely crush him. As Dak enters HIS 5th through 10th seasons there is every reason to believe his trajectory will rocket him past Cousins. AS A PASSER. In terms of QBR, which encompasses the entire body of work of a QB Dak has already put Cousins in the rear view mirror. Dak simply is a better football player.. which probably explains why his winning percentage is miles ahead of Cousins.. who is a .500 player despite playing the bulk of his career for Mike Shanahan and Mike Zimmer ... two guys I don't think anyone here would hesitate to take over Jason Garrett. As long as the Cowboys continue to run a more down the field passing attack and the Vikings keep running a version of the WCO Cousins' will always have inflated passing numbers. But because he is an inferior football player he will likely always have a worse won/loss record than Dak.
oh come on....they have to compare apples and oranges....it doesn't work for them otherwise.....

by their statistical measures....cousins is a better QB than Brady and Manning....yes, its already been posted and they whiffed at a response to that....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think by those measures. Cousins is also better than Brady and couple of others....so, I guess cousins should have won a couple of MVPs....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Was he the best?

In conclusion, I would give Dak just a slight edge so far because of Wentz's injury. But I think Wentz is a slightly - razor-thin margin - better quarterback than Dak.
ahhhh. question...do they all wear the same size shoes? :rolleyes: