Was McCarthy the logical hire or just a feel good after Garrett?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
MM interviews apparently impress so much to the Jones immediately that the Jones didn't feel they had to pursue any other candidates.
MM was everything that they were looking for, and he apparently buy them into his plan from players ( dak) to schemes..to coaches (many of his familiarity) and why chance 2nd guessing
MM and lose out on another NFL coach-hiring team in the mix.
And you’re comfortable trusting Jerry’s quick decision. I think it was more he agreed to retain Moore and signed off on Dak.

Seems odd to me an offensive hire OC play calling HC was ok retaining an OC calling plays. Who wasn’t one of his guys. Smells of another puppet style HC.

And maybe why Jerry latched on so quickly snuggling under the covers with him overnight:)

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
MM interviews apparently impress so much to the Jones immediately that the Jones didn't feel they had to pursue any other candidates.
MM was everything that they were looking for, and he apparently buy them into his plan from players ( dak) to schemes..to coaches (many of his familiarity) and why chance 2nd guessing
MM and lose out on another NFL coach-hiring team in the mix?

another important point to bring up is MM/Nolan not making significant changes to the defensive scheme. Not overhauling the 4-3 to a 3-4 in an effort to (again) - to keep hitting the ground running.
That was a pleasant surprise and for instance we don't have to worry bout a Dlaw having to move to and adjust to learning a different defensive role (ala OLB)
That's logic.......he won't understand that.

quickccc

Reaction score
And you’re comfortable trusting Jerry’s quick decision. I think it was more he agreed to retain Moore and signed off on Dak.

Seems odd to me an offensive hire OC play calling HC was ok retaining an OC calling plays. Who wasn’t one of his guys. Smells of another puppet style HC.

And maybe why Jerry latched on so quickly snuggling under the covers with him overnight:)

I don’t care about a hiring decision being ' quick " – just so lone as it seems the more sensible. .. the more satisfying. ..

So if it was more about MM signing off for Kellen to Dak, how come “ jerry” didn’t force MM to keep Kitna who was more of a QB coach than Kellen was a couple years ago ?
or Columbo, or Brown (zeke) I don’t see what’s wrong with a HC looking at himself for self-improvement or compromising.

- I think the Cowboys direction is more than just Jerry’s decision, you may disagree with this, but I think his son Stephen plays more into the direction of the Cowboys than what many jerry doubters want to believe.
You may still see Jerry’s face and impressions in the cameras in pre-game and post game, but I believe more and more over the past years, Stephen has played a greater influence on the coaching hiring, firing, cap and roster moves than what many can imagine.

- If it was up to Jerry alone, I think Garrett would have successfully sweet talked Jerry into staying and making one more year run at HC.
- If it was up to Jerry alone, I think Dez Bryant would have still been a Cowboys and never cut loose.
- If it was If it was up to Jerry alone, I really believe we would have screwed it big time by drafting Johnny Manziel (vs Zack Martin) as Jerry couldn’t resist his Romo -like urge for Manziel.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Garrett was such a great head coach that he didn't get extended and is not a coordinator.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
How is it an excuse?, this is his choice to allow Moore to calls plays. I have no doubt he will be working very closely with Moore so that they are constantly on the same page with each other. McCarthy can't just be the offensive coach he has to be Head Coach for this entire team and they need to see that. If things fail that is on McCarthy since he has been given a lot of leeway in putting this staff together.

I'm sure that Landry could have called the D on the cowboys teams, but he left that up to Ernie Stautner.... He instead used his D experience to become a very effective O play caller.

I hope McCarthy has the same trait in reverse, in other words, know what to do on D to offset some of the O's we see today. Hopefully this last year paid attention to that.

Also I think we will see more rub/stack receiver plays and quick hitters from the Moore/McCarthy O than the stale Garrett version that to me was imposed on Moore to keep the games close to win in the 4th quarter.... that formula worked when the D can make a stop, but if the D and ST are putting the O in very poor field position it is a recipe for disaster that we saw this last season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t care about a hiring decision being ' quick " – just so lone as it seems the more sensible. .. the more satisfying. ..

So if it was more about MM signing off for Kellen to Dak, how come “ jerry” didn’t force MM to keep Kitna who was more of a QB coach than Kellen was a couple years ago ?
or Columbo, or Brown (zeke) I don’t see what’s wrong with a HC looking at himself for self-improvement or compromising.

- I think the Cowboys direction is more than just Jerry’s decision, you may disagree with this, but I think his son Stephen plays more into the direction of the Cowboys than what many jerry doubters want to believe.
You may still see Jerry’s face and impressions in the cameras in pre-game and post game, but I believe more and more over the past years, Stephen has played a greater influence on the coaching hiring, firing, cap and roster moves than what many can imagine.

- If it was up to Jerry alone, I think Garrett would have successfully sweet talked Jerry into staying and making one more year run at HC.
- If it was up to Jerry alone, I think Dez Bryant would have still been a Cowboys and never cut loose.
- If it was If it was up to Jerry alone, I really believe we would have screwed it big time by drafting Johnny Manziel (vs Zack Martin) as Jerry couldn’t resist his Romo -like urge for Manziel.
Jerry wanted to keep Jason but the toxic environment he created was too much. Public opinion finally forced Jerry’s hand.

And I think it’s odd we went after an Offensive guru play calling HC but retained our play calling OC. Especially when could have used more of a defensive minded HC since it was our greater weakness which seemed more logical to me.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Jerry wanted to keep Jason but the toxic environment he created was too much. Public opinion finally forced Jerry’s hand.

And I think it’s odd we went after an Offensive guru play calling HC but retained our play calling OC. Especially when could have used more of a defensive minded HC since it was our greater weakness which seemed more logical to me.
You need multiple sister wives to argue with and give these guys a break, good lord...............you act like a spurned girlfriend that just won't shutup.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You need multiple sister wives to argue with and give these guys a break, good lord...............you act like a spurned girlfriend that just won't shutup.
But you’re still here .
Like personal insults are going to deter me.
If anything it fuels me.

quickccc

Reaction score

If you choose to think the' public opinions" controls Jerry and not more his most trusting, closest and most influencing confidents surrounding him nowadays,... then that's your choice.
Probably the same confidents that influence Jerry to not re-sign Garrett to another long term year contract extension after 2018 season, but more so, just let his final contract year in 2019
play out, see the results of 2019 output and decide it then.

And what other accomplished, reputable, experienced, defensive ex-HC was even out there available for the taking at the time of MM's hiring ?
Rivera was already gone to the Skins as HC. Zimmer wasn't going anywhere.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I feel MM was the best available hire at the time, considering the coaching that was there to be had. Of course, Jerry would still be there to stir his highly questionable decisions into the mix, with anyone and everyone that might have been awarded the job. I guess we'll just have to sit tight and see what the future has to offer in that regard. Here's hoping Lady Luck smiles upon MM and the Cowboys in the days to come. No doubt, we'll need it. ;)

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
McCarthy was the logical hire he has experience and has won a championship. I’ve said all along an experienced HC who’s had success at some level was probably the route Jerry would go. He learned his lesson with Garrett that you’re not going to have success with a head coach who needs on the job training. We need to be developing players not our head coach.

lonestar2288

Reaction score
McCarthy was never my guy because I viewed him as a retread. I had hope for new/different, which is why I wanted either Ruhle or Meyer. Martindale grew on me late when it was reported he'd bring LSU's OC with him. I do believe McCarthy is more than capable of dominating a weak East, and should at the very least make us consistent playoff contenders. I'm willing to be optimistic

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
The point was Garrett’s record wasn’t any worse than any of our other HC’s this era . And they didn’t receive the abuse he did.

I see no reason our new HC shouldn’t receive harsh criticism from the get go which Parcells and others did did initially too.

What annoys me the most are those claiming Fat Mikey has saved us from something . Last time I checked Jerry is still here and we still haven’t made it to a championship game. Fans are so fickle.

What may have saved the team is Garrett being booted out. MM is the savior of nothing right now as what he brings to the table is still unknown, obviously, but you had to start somewhere and that meant showing Garrett the door.

And what the hell do mean by saying you 'hate what he represents to Garrett's lynch mob'? MM represents a needed change and nothing more. It wasn't an impressive hiring by any means, but at least it isn't Garrett. That's enough for me to look for the hope that's been missing for the past 7 or 8 years.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
McCarthy was one of top candidates for every team in search of a HC. Whether he pans out is a wait and see, but it's easy to understand why we hired him.