Was McCarthy the logical hire or just a feel good after Garrett?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Parcells thought it was too smart for the room. He prided himself on the later round picks and thought he was the crafty one.

My problem with him was thinking he was smarter then the other HC, thought he would out maneuver him in advance. He didn't wait for them to stop doing something, he stopped it in anticipation of them stopping it.

I was ready for a change after SEA. They get two guys off the street, one was Pete Hunter, to play Safety and he doesn't go after that? That game never should have come down to a botched snap because he was all about "keeping it close until the 4Q".

As a HC, I liked Parcells pc's because they were entertaining but as a HC in the game, I thought he was only as good as his DC, Belichick. He talked a better game than he coached and his conservative approach gave him that .500 record in Dallas. That and a D the team should have never adopted without getting the right personnel. He does get credit for our best D FA player of all time, Glover. But then he also gets credit for taking Spears with a 1st and actually wanted him over Ware.

But one thing I liked about Parcells is the same thing I like about McC, they look like football coaches oughta look. I liked that about Madden too. Guys that can't keep a shirt tucked in.
I get it now. A fetish for fatties. Lol

As I suspected I’ve hit a nerve with you guys sensitive about your weight. Which wasn’t my intention.

.500 Parcells was entertaining but 3 division titles in 5 years was a failure.

Much like fans defended Wade but bashed Jason. Not really sure why some fans never embraced Garrett.

Maybe his slim fit Ivy League education and articulate professional manner was too sleek for our white collar fans.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
But one thing I liked about Parcells is the same thing I like about McC, they look like football coaches oughta look. I liked that about Madden too. Guys that can't keep a shirt tucked in.
Fat coaches rule.

They want to eat a lot. And when they do, they are never satisfied.

That translates to the field.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Because I saw what a lot of people on this forum did with Linehan when it came to putting the blame where it belonged..

Same will happen with McCarthy and Kellen if this doesn't work out and it will prolong things for McCarthy because eventually he will call plays if things aren't working out.

I do not for 1 second think it was his idea to have Kellen Moore be the playcaller. Maybe i'm wrong but I doubt it.
The jones boys wanted to keep the whole offensive staff, and just get new DC , and new HC.
So evidently MM negotiated to keep kellen, but rest of staff was his choice.
I do think he is ok with kellen, not as an independent OC, but a coach he can work with.
Together I hope they makeup a new play book, and philosophy on playcalling.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
From a résumé perspective, the hiring of McCarthy is an otherwise smart decision as he won a Super Bowl, consistently defeated division rivals and reached the playoffs routinely. From a logical perspective, this hiring feels like it was a mistake.

He is an offensive-minded head coach. McCarthy was an offensive coordinator for seven seasons before becoming a head coach, where he called all the offensive plays. But he was fired in Green Bay for having an unimpressive and stale offensive gameplan (in addition to his rift with Rodgers).

Unless McCarthy has revamped his offensive scheme, then there is little reason to believe that this coaching change will be any different from keeping Jason Garrett.

The hiring of the once offensive guru seemed rushed as the NFL season had yet to officially have concluded. The offseason is where offensive and defensive coordinators are open to head coaching positions, particularly those that are currently a part of a playoff run.

Only time will tell how this hiring will affect the success of the Dallas Cowboys. Time is dwindling, however, as their core and elite talent is aging day-by-day and their fans begin to grow restless over the continuous lack of success.

Let’s hope that Jerry Jones sees something that nobody else sees in Mike McCarthy and he can establish the ‘Boys as a powerhouse .
https://nflspinzone.com/2020/01/10/dallas-cowboys-mike-mccarthy-answer/
It was a quick hire, they should have talked to some others, but I think they found out they liked him,
and he would be easy to work with, so they hired him as madden would say BOOM! they just liked him.
We will know more after draft and FA, on mikes influence on the 2 stooges, and maybe even how they handle
the dak and amari contracts.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I get it now. A fetish for fatties. Lol
As I suspected I’ve hit a nerve with you guys sensitive about your weight. Which wasn’t my intention.

Hit a nerve? No. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't understand why you're behaving like a 4 year old who didn't get his way because your boy Garrett is gone. You've stooped to the bullying level towards someone who hasn't even had his first meeting with the team, let alone his first practice or game. That's childish behavior. At least I waited until after the 3rd straight 8-8 season to turn on Garrett.

500 Parcells was entertaining but 3 division titles in 5 years was a failure.

Please enlighten us.... remind us again what Garrett accomplished in his time in Dallas. We'll wait, it should only take you about 2 seconds to answer.

Much like fans defended Wade but bashed Jason. Not really sure why some fans never embraced Garrett.

You already know the answer to that question, but go ahead and be obtuse, its so becoming of you.

Last edited:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I agree it was an easy and comfortable hire for Jerry.

Just to note this wasn’t my words on original post. But I thought it was worthy of recognition to ponder.

Over the years I’ve often enjoyed playing devils advocate. But since the hire the wave has been overwhelmingly positive and felt some backlash or opposing perspective was needed.

Tell us something we don't know.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hit a nerve? No. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't understand why you're behaving like a 4 year old who didn't get his way because your boy Garrett is gone. You've stooped to the bullying level towards someone who hasn't even had his first meeting with the team, let alone his first practice or game. That's childish behavior. At least I waited until after the 3rd straight 8-8 season to turn on Garrett.

Please enlighten us.... remind us again what Garrett accomplished in his time in Dallas. We'll wait, it should only take you about 2 seconds to answer.

You already know the answer to that question, but go ahead and be obtuse, its so becoming of you.
The point was Garrett’s record wasn’t any worse than any of our other HC’s this era . And they didn’t receive the abuse he did.

I see no reason our new HC shouldn’t receive harsh criticism from the get go which Parcells and others did did initially too.

What annoys me the most are those claiming Fat Mikey has saved us from something . Last time I checked Jerry is still here and we still haven’t made it to a championship game. Fans are so fickle.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am not a McCarthy fan. But I’m not going to know until after the first season if it was the right move or not. Right now I can only hope. But what has been the one constant. Jerry Jones. That’s the real reason we don’t want anything

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think a team has to know HC is the one they have to answer to. Jimmy and Bill were involved with all aspect and right now this team needs someone to oversee the entire operation on the field. I think if you are OC\HC or DC\HC you spend so much time with 1 group but this team needs someone who is overseeing everything. My hope is that is what McCarthy can do that. Granted I think this off season he will be working very closely with Moore knowing he has a vet in Nolan whom he has worked with before but as we hit training camp players need to know that the HC is seeing all that is going on.

I totally agree. And I expect on game day for him to be more closely involved with Moore and the offense while entrusting most of the defensive and special teams decision-making to their respective veteran coaches. Key in-game decisions will obviously involve consulting with him but I think most of his gameday conversations will be with Moore.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
This hatred over Garrett when he did no worse than anyone else is what drives me. And until FM does more he will feel my wrath with this circle jerking over him without any results.
See, you finally admitted it. That wasn't so hard, was it?

And Garrett wasn't hated at first. He was almost universally loved. He was going to save us from Camp Cupcake with his discipline and organization and Pads Wednesdays. (All garbage, of course.) It wasn't until years into his tenure that people turned on him. How can you honestly wonder why he got so much hate? It's because he was here so long with such piss poor results. And BTW, Phillips got way more media and fan hate than Garrett until Garrett's 8th year or so.

The really stupid thing about McCarthy feeling your "wrath" is that it's February of his first offseason. He's barely been here a month. How can you hate a guy who hasn't even coached his first OTA yet, let alone a regular season game?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

And Garrett wasn't hated at first. He was almost universally loved. It wasn't until years into his tenure that people turned on him. How can you honestly wonder why he got so much hate? It's because he was here so long with such piss poor results. And BTW, people hated Phillips even after his first year, and especially his second. Phillips also go way more media hate than Garrett until Garrett's 8th year or so.

The really stupid thing about McCarthy feeling your "wrath" is that it's February of his first offseason. He's barely been here a month. How can you hate a guy who hasn't even coached his first OTA yet, let alone a regular season game?
I don’t hate him. I hate what he represents to Garrett’s Lynch mob.

Garrett should have been fired years ago. It’s on Jerry for his dysfunctional embracement of Jason for so many years. And why I defended him. Cause he was the wrong Target.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score

And Garrett wasn't hated at first. He was almost universally loved. It wasn't until years into his tenure that people turned on him. How can you honestly wonder why he got so much hate? It's because he was here so long with such piss poor results. And BTW, people hated Phillips even after his first year, and especially his second. Phillips also go way more media hate than Garrett until Garrett's 8th year or so.

He just likes to argue and doesn't mind being consistently wrong......he's different than he was on the other board...........odd dude now.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don’t hate him. I hate what he represents to Garrett’s Lynch mob.
I don't even see this overwhelming love you speak of. Plenty of people are skeptical of him, and plenty of people think he's just okay or "pretty good". This isn't like a Parcells hire which pretty much everyone loved.

But when you're coming off a decade of Garrett, a crust of bread looks like a five course meal.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't even see this overwhelming love you speak of. Plenty of people are skeptical of him, and plenty of people think he's just okay or "pretty good". This isn't like a Parcells hire which pretty much everyone loved.

But when you're coming off a decade of Garrett, a crust of bread looks like a five course meal.
I’ve seen quotes of McC has saved us from the Garrett era. Unfortunately it’s still to be determined if he’s saved us from Jerry.

Garrett only survived as long as he did cause of Jerry’s foolishness.

I saw the Garrett era as simply an extension of this debacle generation Jerry has delivered. And wouldn’t assume it’s ended yet.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He just likes to argue and doesn't mind being consistently wrong......he's different than he was on the other board...........odd dude now.
I really haven’t changed. You just haven’t agreed or liked who I’ve gone to bat for recently.

And what was I so wrong about? My support of Garrett was misunderstood by most. I never thought he was a great HC . Just a great puppet for our dysfunctional organization. Mostly a mockery of Jerry.

It’s still to be determined If Fat Mikey will be any better. No one else has been this era.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
From a résumé perspective, the hiring of McCarthy is an otherwise smart decision as he won a Super Bowl, consistently defeated division rivals and reached the playoffs routinely. From a logical perspective, this hiring feels like it was a mistake.

He is an offensive-minded head coach. McCarthy was an offensive coordinator for seven seasons before becoming a head coach, where he called all the offensive plays. But he was fired in Green Bay for having an unimpressive and stale offensive game plan (in addition to his rift with Rodgers).

Unless McCarthy has revamped his offensive scheme, then there is little reason to believe that this coaching change will be any different from keeping Jason Garrett.

The hiring of the once offensive guru seemed rushed as the NFL season had yet to officially have concluded. The offseason is where offensive and defensive coordinators are open to head coaching positions, particularly those that are currently a part of a playoff run.

Only time will tell how this hiring will affect the success of the Dallas Cowboys. Time is dwindling, however, as their core and elite talent is aging day-by-day and their fans begin to grow restless over the continuous lack of success.

Let’s hope that Jerry Jones sees something that nobody else sees in Mike McCarthy and he can establish the ‘Boys as a powerhouse .

- McCarthy and Ron Rivera (skins) were easily the most accomplished vet HC coaches out there at the time.
Both have had super bowl runs with MM coming out with a win.
Plus MM had other credentials upon his resume that apparently drew appeal as well.
He’s an a reputed offensive mind and one that has had a hand in grooming and working with a sure fire future HOFer in Aaron Rodgers.

- Cowboys apparently were not interested in chancing college experimentation with the likes ex Buckeye Meyers, Baylor’s Rhue or OU’s Riley.
They wanted an established ex- vet NFL head coaches so they can best hit the ground running and there’s less of a chance of any big growing pains and learning curves In adjusting to NFL level.

- I do wonder about the whispering rumors from Jay Glazer in that the Cowboys initially were interested in hiring a defensive minded HC, in which they could retain their offensive assistant staff
(Columbo, Kitna, Sandray, Brown, etc.) and turns out they were able to retain two of them which are essential to Dak's continuation development.

M- y question to that is with Skins already hiring Ron Rivera, a defensive minder, what other HC candidates were out there that fit that criteria ?
I can’t think of any one else that was available and out there that they could have been looking at ?
Could it really have been Marvin Lewis ? Still had to think that interview was more to Rooney rules.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
- McCarthy and Ron Rivera (skins) were easily the most accomplished vet HC coaches out there at the time.
Both have had super bowl runs with MM coming out with a win.
Plus MM had other credentials upon his resume that apparently drew appeal as well.
He’s an a reputed offensive mind and one that has had a hand in grooming and working with a sure fire future HOFer in Aaron Rodgers.

- Cowboys apparently were not interested in chancing college experimentation with the likes ex Buckeye Meyers, Baylor’s Rhue or OU’s Riley.
They wanted an established ex- vet NFL head coaches so they can best hit the ground running and there’s less of a chance of any big growing pains and learning curves In adjusting to NFL level.

- I do wonder about the whispering rumors from Jay Glazer in that the Cowboys initially were interested in hiring a defensive minded HC, in which they could retain their offensive assistant staff
(Columbo, Kitna, Sandray, Brown, etc.) and turns out they were able to retain two of them which are essential to Dak's continuation development.

M- y question to that is with Skins already hiring Ron Rivera, a defensive minder, what other HC candidates were out there that fit that criteria ?
I can’t think of any one else that was available and out there that they could have been looking at ?
Could it really have been Marvin Lewis ? Still had to think that interview was more to Rooney rules.
Jerry went with a quick and easy decision to silence public opinion. Didn’t even interview anyone else but for token Rooney Rule.

quickccc

Reaction score

He is an offensive-minded head coach. McCarthy was an offensive coordinator for seven seasons before becoming a head coach, where he called all the offensive plays. But he was fired in Green Bay for having an unimpressive and stale offensive gameplan (in addition to his rift with Rodgers).

- I can assume that those "stale game plans" and X's and O's probably played into him retaining top assistants Kellen Moore/Doug Nussmeheimer, not only as a continuation improvement to Dak, but
a continuing different approach and creative formations to throw at opposing defenses. i'd like to see how this plays out with different philosophies with WCO (McCarthy) vs Time based (Kellen)
in the long run, but I admire MM being open minded to see past the trees vs stubborn set in way guys.

- Surprisingly this wasn't brought up more - but McCarthy's defenses were awful- much at the face of long time DC Dom Capers. And MM was way too slow to make coaching changes.
That greatly help MM team to underachieve that much more and they couldn't recover from it. That had to lead to MM being canned.

Once the initial hiring smoke settled, I was more on board with McCarthy hire vs the big college names that were brought up more so, and taken that MM was really their only serious interview, I was
down with this hiring. No college learning curve, more of a steady success at Dak's continuing development, reputed defensive name coaches such as Nolan, Tomsula and Edwards,
and trusting McCarthy/Nolan hiring on secondary

- plus don't forget the special teams hiring of well reputed Fassel,- to which I was shocked Rams allowed him to walk.
Though I was quite surprised with the departure of Columbo and strength coach Woicik, I cannot complain overall and in fact looking very forward to the MM impact.

On paper, the full staff and plans is looking very promising encouraging and garners enthusiasm and optimistic to me.

quickccc

Reaction score
Jerry went with a quick and easy decision to silence public opinion. Didn’t even interview anyone else but for token Rooney Rule.

MM interviews apparently impress so much to the Jones immediately that the Jones didn't feel they had to pursue any other candidates.
MM was everything that they were looking for, and he apparently buy them into his plan from players ( dak) to schemes..to coaches (many of his familiarity) and why chance 2nd guessing
MM and lose out on another NFL coach-hiring team in the mix?

another important point to bring up is MM/Nolan not making significant changes to the defensive scheme. Not overhauling the 4-3 to a 3-4 in an effort to (again) - to keep hitting the ground running.
That was a pleasant surprise and for instance we don't have to worry bout a Dlaw having to move to and adjust to learning a different defensive role (ala OLB)