Was McCarthy the logical hire or just a feel good after Garrett?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Because you're obtuse, or even worse you, believe what you say. Drama queen.
Total crap to read. Ruins everything he steps on and thinks he's amusing.
I've worked with people like that. They don't last long in their desired profession.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm thinking that after all these years here and on the old board you're just a troll that hung around so long we just assumed you to be a Cowboys fan.
How typical Ron. You don’t like my message so attacking the messenger.

I’m not taking the bait and attacking you personally.

I’ll continue my focus on Cowboy related figures and my main target since I came on these forums 13 years ago.

Amazing how a few are all buthurt over Fat Mikey.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Total crap to read. Ruins everything he steps on and thinks he's amusing.
I've worked with people like that. They don't last long in their desired profession.
But here you are feeding this thread.

And they last as long as they want when they own the business.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
6a00d834527dd469e20105364b1f9b970b-800wi1.jpg.cf.jpg

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Based on all of the coaches who got hired? At the time and in hindsight McCarthy was the best coach available. Maybe you can say that's debatable with Ron Rivera but I think McCarthy was a better fit than him.

I think most people want the young hot shot like a Sean McVey. So a Lincoln Riley type is probably who a of people had in mind or Matt Rhule. But in reality we got the best guy for the job at the time.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Another thing I'd like to bring up about McCarthy, my hate-boner has been raging today and I need to try and soothe it.

The big selling point for McCarthy is that he's a "championship coach". He's won the Big Game, he knows how to do it, he'll show the Cowboys how. That's just a load of crap.

Between 2009-16, the Packers made 8 straight playoff appearances. They turned that into 3 NFC Championships and 1 Super Bowl appearance (which they did win).

Peyton Manning (who is the greatest quarterback in NFL history, and I will never hear any different) made the playoffs 9 straight years from 2002-2009, made 5 AFC championships, and went to 2 Super Bowls - and he got the reputation as a big-game choker. Unfairly, I might add. But his playoff record smokes the McCarthy Packers.

Heck, Andy Reid had a 9 year run with McNabb where he went to 5 conference championships and 1 Super Bowl, and he had the "choker" monkey on his back for 20 years. Yet McCarthy gets a pass for having a far inferior record.

That's what McCarthy is. He's not a championship coach, he's a mediocrity who struggles when his HOF QB faces a quality team that he can't outgun alone and Big Mike needs to step up as a coach. He's not a champion, he is a sub-choker level disaster.

Last edited:

dwmyers

Reaction score
All I can add to this story is a short conversation with a guy I know as a hard core Packers fan. He says, "If you get the McCarthy the Packers hired, you're getting a good aggressive coach. When he first joined the Packers, he was aggressive on offense and took chances. Late with the Packers he became conservative, and that got him fired."

So who did we hire? I guess we're about to find out.

D-

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm thinking that after all these years here and on the old board you're just a troll that hung around so long we just assumed you to be a Cowboys fan.
Cowboy fans can troll some topics, players, coaches and owners. We’ve seen it time and time again.

I’m attacking the new HC and you Garrett haters can’t stand it. I’m not sure why you care?

If we’ve learned anything after all of these years is anything Cowboy related is fair game.

My issue isn’t with McCarthy. It’s the attitude he’s saved this franchise from Garrett. Jerry is the core issue and why Garrett was here so long. That’s on Jerry not Jason.

We need someone to save us from Jerry. It’s yet to be seen if McCarthy can achieve what no other HC has been able to accomplish this generation.

Last edited:

garyo1954

Reaction score
Cowboy fans can troll some topics, players, coaches and owners. We’ve seen it time and time again.
/QUOTE]

Ahhh, so the real question is: Is Dallas the right team for Mike McCarthy?

Probably not. Mike probably doesn't deserve being a serf in Jerry's Kingdom any more than Jason, or Wade, or Bill.

That he is, is be his own design. For better or worse. And maybe Stephen will intercede on his behalf if push comes to shove. I don't think Mike will appreciate being blindsided by some proclamation Jerry makes on his weekly radio show, but what can he do?

He's in Jerry's Kingdom now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Right

I understand a renewed hope but until results come in it’s difficult to say if it’s going to be any different despite the intentions. Most likely will be more similar to Bills tenure and even Wade and Jason's with some bright spots but disappointments.

The toxic environment and dysfunctional organization has proved thus far this generation too great for anyone to overcome. We shall see. But this thought that McCarthy has saved us from Jerry’s wrath is absurd at this point.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Troy Aikman on becoming Dallas GM, "It's unlikely that Jerry will ever bring somebody in that can help this football team in that regard, just because he's been real stubborn and steadfast, in that he's the one in charge. I think in a lot of ways until that changes this team's going to have some problems."

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Troy Aikman on becoming Dallas GM, "It's unlikely that Jerry will ever bring somebody in that can help this football team in that regard, just because he's been real stubborn and steadfast, in that he's the one in charge. I think in a lot of ways until that changes this team's going to have some problems."
Yep

Despite whatever HC we have. At least so far.

My greatest hope was assembling enough talent. But tough when your upper Mgmt mismanages .

Last edited: