We All Know BP Is Staying

blindzebra

Reaction score
silverbear;1319739 said:
From 15-33 in the Campo era to 34-30 in the Parcells era...

Clearly, to say "we've gone nowhere" is nothing less than asinine...

So a laughing stock coach, coaching under the worst possible conditions...we had a year where we had as much dead money as players salary for God's sake...is the measuring stick to hang support on a HOF coach and team savior who is a .500 coach with zero playoff wins, no division titles, and 4 straight late season disasters?

Dude you know how laughable that is?:lmao2:

Skin

Reaction score
silverbear;1319722 said:
No, it doesn't... it's the content of your posts that either gives you credibility among the regulars, or denies you that credibility...

Nope, mostly I'm just befuddled and a LITTLE depressed... if you're seriously still angry after all this time, I'm worried a little about your mental health...

Having been a Cowboys fan for 46 years now, I have seen the benefits of being PATIENT with your coaches, and with your players... my arguments come from base... like I said, if we weren't PATIENT with Tom Landry, he wouldn't be in the Hall of Fame today, and the same is true for Troy Aikman... I could offer you any number of such examples; for example, if the Cowboys weren't PATIENT, they never would have drafted Roger Staubach...

As the great historian George Santayana once said, those who refuse to learn from history are condemned to repeat it... and history has shown us that the best, most reliable way to build a winner is to build a coaching staff that sticks around a while... conversely, changing coaches every year or two a la the Raiders is a recipe for freakin' disaster...

Actually, if you're gonna enter into a football debate, and wish to "win" the argument, it is incumbent on you to back up your arguments with facts... as is the case with all debates, the one with the most facts almost always wins...

I'm not asking anything of you that I don't demand of yourself... that's precisely why I've developed this point/counterpoint style of arguing online, wherein I quote only the passage I'm debating at the moment, respond to it in full, then quote the next passage I consider up for debate... I find this is the most responsive way to engage a fellow poster in debate...

But like I said, you seemed to want to argue/debate with me, only you never really addressed any of the points I raised at all... of course, you can do that if you choose, but I then have the right to point out that you're being nonresponsive...

If you take that sig seriously, there's something wrong with you... I have had a number of sigs like that, all of them taken from bumper stickers that have cracked me up in the past... other sigs I've used included:

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Those who think you know it all are truly annoying to those of us who do...

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives...

I liked the Einstein quote that I'm currently using because to me it sounds like a classy way of saying "it's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys"... IOW, because I found it FUNNY...

Oh, I'll sling insults when provoked, but because the mods in here want me to go easy on that kind of stuff (and they've been quite patient with me over the years), I do tend to wait until provocation rears its ugly head (in the form of insults from others, as when Philo called those who disagree with him "rock heads")...

Thanks for enlightening me. It's always good to hear stories from one's elders. I can't compete with 46 years of being a fan, since I've only been alive for 37.

As far as determining credibility, I'll keep on my own counsel with respect to who has or who doesn't have it.

With regard to being PO-ed about the season, I am reminded that it has only been twelve days since that loss, so a little latent frustration is not a bad thing. However, if you're "depressed" you really should seek help or at least medication. Working in a healthcare environment, I can tell you that these things can spiral out of control.

As far as arguing or debating with you, I realized long ago that arguing with people about sports and/or politics doesn't bear much fruit. It's like arguing with my wife or my three year old...pointless.

I never take too much too seriously on a message board, but thanks for reminding me. I'm glad to hear that you don't take those quotes seriously. I once worked for a guy who did, he wasn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. It was overcompensation, you know, like the short guy who buys the jacked up Powerstroke F-250 crew cab. At the end of the day, the driver is still short.

Anyway, thanks again.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
blindzebra;1319750 said:
He inherited a declining: Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Daryal Johnston, Herschel Walker, Larry Allen, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei, Erik Williams, Tony Casillas, Leon Lett, Deion Sanders, Brock Marion, Darren Woodson, Tony Tolbert, Chad Hennings, and Bill Bates.

We were a cap strapped team that couldn't add younger stars because our older ones had so much cap tied to them...hell AZ could have fielded their entire team from the salaries of Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin, Allen and Deion.

The comparison is still a valid one...Parcells is still producing at a level equal to one of the 3 stooges Jerry hired after Jimmy, and at one barely higher than another.

So go ahead and defend him when he's behind Switzer, tied with Gailey and just ahead of Campo...for a HOF coach that isn't like he's on a list with Landry, Lombardi and Knoll.

Just remember how long it took Holmgren to get Seattle to turn the corner up in Seattle. I agree, Parcells has been lackluster in his stay. But you can't fault him for having to basically rebuild the entire team.

I'm not happy with what has gone on in the last few years here either, especailly late in the season. But I still have yet to see anyone mention a legitamate successor to BP. Because I'm sorry folks, Les Miles and Bob Stoops won't do any better.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
blindzebra;1319768 said:
So a laughing stock coach, coaching under the worst possible conditions...we had a year where we had as much dead money as players salary for God's sake...is the measuring stick to hang support on a HOF coach and team savior

It IS a measuring stick when it comes to what kind of "progress" the Cowboys may or may not have made... indeed, when it comes to that kind of "progress", it's the ONLY measuring stick...

Dude you know how laughable that is?:lmao2:

Do you often find yourself laughing at the truth??

blindzebra

Reaction score
silverbear;1319767 said:
Yeah, I've always found the truth is a real effective weapon in these debates...

No, it isn't... Gailey took over a better team, naturally he'd have more success early in his tenure...

I'll bet I'm the only one in this argument who ever got PAID for his athletic ability...

FWIW, I'm not "playing tough guy", I pretty much am one... got the scars to prove it, too... LOL...

I know lots of people come online and pretend to be something they're not, but those folks tend to be disappointed with who they really are, so they NEED to engage in self-aggrandizement... but me, I like who I am just fine, and don't feel the need to pretend to be anything I'm not...

In real life as on the internet, if I'm approached with civility and respect, I give civility and respect back... but I do not suffer fools gladly, never have, never will...

And you're pretty much stuck with that...

Yawn...that was Nors-like and it's self importance, congrats.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
silverbear;1319752 said:
Well, we seem to be involved in a semantic debate here, so how 'bout I rephrase the argument??

Let's say instead that Gailey took over a much better, more talented team than Parcells took over when he came to Valley Ranch...

Will you meet me that far, Hos?? If so, then the rest of my argument stands as stated...
The only thing I disagreed with was that we were a contender. We weren't. Was Gailey's 1st team better than what Parcells got? Hell yes. Without question. Some will look at 6-10 vs. 5-11 and say it's too close to call. I won't. I'm not stupid.

Was Gailey's team better than what we have now? Not in my opinion. This team should have been a contender and they folded.

Maybe you see it as apples and oranges. I have no way of knowing without you telling me. I feel like Gailey was a puppet, and that though Parcells has improved the talent on the team they still fade 2-3 in the last 5 games of every season, and the defense gets worse every year.

Comparing the two is very valid to me. I'm not satisfied with the results now, just like I wasn't then.

Will you meet me that far? If so, then we have an accord. If not, we can discuss it. I didn't quote your entire post. Just the contender line. I do not agree with that.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
What throws me off about the defense is, why do they falter so hard every year. I mean, we've employed essentially teh same scheme the last 2 seasons. It's not like teams did not have film on us from last year.

Honestly, the loss of Ellis is the only conclusion I can draw. Anytime you lose a guy who is posting 8 sacks a year, unless you have another guy who can rush the passer, that can't be good.

silverbear

Reaction score
Skin;1319769 said:
Thanks for enlightening me. It's always good to hear stories from one's elders. I can't compete with 46 years of being a fan, since I've only been alive for 37.

Good Gawd, you're a prickly little poster, aren't you?? Always reading insults into words that had absolutely no insult behind them...

I made the point about how long I've been a Cowboys fan not to engage in some kind of "my johnson is bigger than your johnson" argument, but rather to explain to you that my arguments come from a lifetime of observing the Cowboys, and seeing how they have often been greatly rewarded for being patient...

As far as determining credibility, I'll keep on my own counsel with respect to who has or who doesn't have it.

Since neither you nor I determine that, except for ourselves, that's probably a wise move... I was merely pointing out that if you wish to have credibility on this board, you'd better be ready, willing and able to back up your arguments with facts, rather than just opinions...

With regard to being PO-ed about the season, I am reminded that it has only been twelve days since that loss, so a little latent frustration is not a bad thing. However, if you're "depressed" you really should seek help or at least medication. Working in a healthcare environment, I can tell you that these things can spiral out of control.

Again, you read too much into the word "depressed"... maybe you would have understood me better if I'd said something like I was "bummed out" by the whole thing...

It ain't like I'm not sleeping because Romo fumbled that snap...

As far as arguing or debating with you, I realized long ago that arguing with people about sports and/or politics doesn't bear much fruit.

Well, the nature of message boards is that just about any time you express an opinion, somebody's gonna argue with you about it... if you find that distasteful, I find myself wondering why you frequent such boards...

Me, I'll speak my mind, and debate just about anybody who wishes to take issue with what I've said... worse, I'll have a good ol' time doing it...

I'm glad to hear that you don't take those quotes seriously.

Naw, I just like a good giggle, and wanted a sig that isn't like anybody else's... it's like the "title" under my name, "Semi-Official Loose Cannon"; it's both funny and semi-accurate at the same time... on another board, my title reads "Smarter than Yogi", which is of course a rif on the way Yogi Bear used to say "smarter than the av-er-age bear"...

I just tend to do things that amuse me... but at the same time, I have been known to engage in self-deprecating humor as well... I'm as quick to make fun of myself as anybody else in here is to make fun of me...

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile;1319779 said:
. I didn't quote your entire post. Just the contender line. I do not agree with that.

You seem to think I was upset at you when I posted that, Hos... I wasn't, that's why I rephrased the line that you found questionable...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
silverbear;1319799 said:
You seem to think I was upset at you when I posted that, Hos... I wasn't, that's why I rephrased the line that you found questionable...
No, I don't think you were upset.

Just trying to get a discussion started.

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile;1319802 said:
No, I don't think you were upset.

Just trying to get a discussion started.

Oh, OK, then let me get back to that post...

No, I still don't think a comparison between Parcells and Gailey is legit, because of the quality of the teams each took over... it's somewhat easier to go 18-14 with a team that still had the nucleus of a 3 time Super Bowl winner intact than it is to go 34-30 with a team coming off of three consecutive 5-11 seasons, a team clearly in the dumper...

Yes, I do think this team "folded" at the end of the year, but until I get a handle on the reasons why, I'm not gonna go knee-jerk and blame Parcells for all of it... and yes, I am somewhat disturbed by the late-season fold...

The thing is, at one point this season that defense was playing very, very well, which makes the late decline that much more perplexing...

Finally, no, I'm not content with the results to date... but at the same time, I see the nucleus of a very good team in place here, just needing a couple-three pieces of the puzzle, and I give Parcells credit for improving the talent base... so I want to give him another year to further improve that talent base, and see what he can do with the team then...

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
philo beddoe;1319158 said:
Oh goody, more 9-8 seasons to look forward to. And we'll be as predictable and inflexible too. No point to one more lame duck year of the formerly great BP.

Nah, we'll go 10-6 this time:bang2:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
silverbear;1319160 said:
Yes, it is... you just apparently don't know enough about the game of football to understand why it's a good thing... either that, or you haven't been paying attention to the Cowboys over these last 10 years...

Exactly how many threads do you plan on starting that say the exact same thing, anyway?? We get it, you don't like Parcells...

As coherent and cogent and intelligent as your posts can and will be, when I see someone post "you just aparently don't know enough about the game of football to understand . . . " me eyes glaze over lad. Enough of the negativity. I say we all break out a keg and those limon flavored potato chips and just chill.

Everyone here has good posts and not-so-good posts. But to call out someone as not knowledgable is like slapping me dear old mom, SpongeBob.
Off with you and don't come back until you apologize to Patrick!!!! Ack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack!:laugh2:

I like the silver bear totem. Mine is a bear tearing into a tired old football coach who loves new york and is only 4 games over .500 in Dallas. Ack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack!

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
"Will he stay or will he go" - thats' the song of 2007, everybody join in, " will he stay or will he go"

blindzebra

Reaction score
Clove;1319954 said:
"Will he stay or will he go" - thats' the song of 2007, everybody join in, " will he stay or will he go"

Come on, let's all join in to "stock the cat box" instead.:lmao2:

Skin

Reaction score
blindzebra;1319976 said:
Come on, let's all join in to "stock the cat box" instead.:lmao2:

That is a sweet commercial. What's sad is that my wife is in her 20s and she had never heard Rock the Casbah.

Skin

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1319953 said:
As coherent and cogent and intelligent as your posts can and will be, when I see someone post "you just aparently don't know enough about the game of football to understand . . . " me eyes glaze over lad. Enough of the negativity. I say we all break out a keg and those limon flavored potato chips and just chill.

Everyone here has good posts and not-so-good posts. But to call out someone as not knowledgable is like slapping me dear old mom, SpongeBob.
Off with you and don't come back until you apologize to Patrick!!!! Ack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack!:laugh2:

I like the silver bear totem. Mine is a bear tearing into a tired old football coach who loves new york and is only 4 games over .500 in Dallas. Ack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack!

Thanks for this post. I get my dander up when I people start talking about how much smarter they are than me. Heck, it might be true, but I don't want to hear it.

If we're going to question the intellect of fans, let's make sure we direct those comments at the appropriate audience: Eagle fans.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
dmq;1319155 said:
Nothing? Why don't you look at our roster 4 years back.

Name GP TOT OWR OPR YDS TD
Flozell Adams 16 0 0 0 0 0
Keith Adams 6 0 0 0 0 0
Larry Allen 6 0 0 0 0 0
Antonio Bryant 16 3 0 0 0 0
Quincy Carter 7 5 0 0 -8 0
Dexter Coakley 16 0 0 1 1 0
Javiar Collins 9 0 1 0 0 0
Billy Cundiff 16 0 0 0 0 0
Woodrow Dantzler 5 2 0 0 0 0
Keith Davis 8 0 0 0 0 0
Tony Dixon 16 0 0 0 0 0
Char-ron Dorsey 1 0 0 0 0 0
Mario Edwards 15 0 0 1 0 0
Ebenezer Ekuban 16 0 0 2 2 0
Greg Ellis 15 0 0 0 0 0
Demetric Evans 4 0 0 0 0 0
Filip Filipovic 9 0 0 0 0 0
Joey Galloway 16 2 2 0 0 0
Kelvin Garmon 5 0 0 0 0 0
Aaron Gibson 1 0 0 0 0 0
La'roi Glover 16 0 0 0 0 0
Dwayne Goodrich 11 0 0 0 0 0
Jeff Grau 16 0 0 0 0 0
Andre Gurode 14 0 0 0 0 0
Troy Hambrick 16 2 0 0 -8 0
Kevin Hardy 16 0 0 0 0 0
Duane Hawthorne 11 0 0 0 0 0
Pete Hunter 11 0 0 0 0 0
Chad Hutchinson 9 12 1 0 0 0
Jermaine Jones 3 0 0 0 0 0
Micah Knorr 7 0 0 0 0 0
Matt Lehr 13 0 0 0 0 0
Mike Lucky 16 0 0 0 0 0
Louis Mackey 15 0 1 0 0 0
Marques Mcfadden 4 0 0 0 0 0
Tony Mcgee 16 0 0 0 0 0
Jason Mckie 1 0 0 0 0 0
Jeremy Mckinney 3 0 0 0 0 0
Michael Myers 16 0 0 1 3 0
Dat Nguyen 8 0 0 0 0 0
John Nix 14 0 0 0 0 0
Brandon Noble 16 0 0 1 0 0
Solomon Page 15 0 0 0 0 0
Ken-yon Rambo 16 3 1 0 0 0
Derek Ross 14 0 0 0 0 0
Darnay Scott 15 0 0 0 0 0
Lynn Scott 14 0 0 0 0 0
Emmitt Smith 16 3 2 0 0 0
Markus Steele 13 0 0 0 0 0
Reggie Swinton 14 1 1 0 0 0
Robert Thomas 15 0 0 0 0 0
Ross Tucker 7 0 1 0 0 0
Kurt Vollers 1 0 0 0 0 0
Tyson Walter 10 0 0 0 0 0
Colston Weatherington 3 0 0 0 0 0
Bryant Westbrook 1 0 0 0 0 0
James Whalen 16 0 2 0 0 0
Michael Wiley 16 0 1 0 0 0
Randal Williams 11 0 0 0 0 0
Roy Williams 16 0 0 3 0 0
Darren Woodson 10 0 0 1 2 0
Peppi Zellner 16 0 0 0 0 0

Look at the play of the overall team and tell me if there playing any better, no pass rush, DBs cant cover a snail, still no Oline to speak of. Sure we got a great receiver that can drop em with the best of em, but what has Parcells really done for us, other then replace overacheiving sub standard talent with underacheiving talent!

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Skin;1320016 said:
let's make sure we direct those comments at the appropriate audience: Eagle fans.

while true, and fun, there are alot of dumb COwboy posters on here

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
summerisfunner;1320026 said:
while true, and fun, there are alot of dumb COwboy posters on here

Leave me out of this!!

:mad: