We are not Overpaying

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
hat’s like saying I you want to pay double the price for a car because you haven’t decided where you are going to spend the savings.

If I'm paying double for the car, but it makes me win the race, I'm sleeping well.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
A bottle of Cab...just chilling and watching NFL network....this retirement life is finally growing on me after 5 years....Salud
Nice, good choice, enjoy sir.

Ha, I know the feeling, btw, is it Fri, Sa or Sun, that's the life.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Realism. Look at Juju Smith Schuster who was a WR and a far bigger name who has been productive since he was a rookie. Schultz was a nobody until midway through last year.

And now he's a top producing TE. Top 10 last year, top 5 this year.

Two years running.

We done here?

Aftershock

Reaction score
We have several players on this team with huge contracts. The first thing we as fans say is that they're making too much when their production isn't adding up.

In the process of said player EARNING said contract, they had to perform in a certain way to get paid, in which we ALL were happy while they made great plays.

Now, in the NFL we have something that's called MARKET VALUE, which is the value of the top players at that position. We fail to realize as the market is set, this is near or above what the player will be asking the team for.

We're fools to think that a player playing at a high level is going to take less than market value. Yet once said player is digressing in his play, we complain that he's overpaid.

What is the team supposed to do allow these players just to walk? I'm aware that we can't pay everyone big money, but we will have to spend and we have an owner who likes to spend!

With that said we have to monitor how we say OVERPAID, your thoughts please!!!
Go tell Belichick this. He knows who to pay and who not to pay for the betterment of the team.

Paying injury prone players like Jaylon gigantic contracts was a mistake. You can fault our personnel department and player evaluations for that.

Flamma

Reaction score
We have several players on this team with huge contracts. The first thing we as fans say is that they're making too much when their production isn't adding up.

In the process of said player EARNING said contract, they had to perform in a certain way to get paid, in which we ALL were happy while they made great plays.

Now, in the NFL we have something that's called MARKET VALUE, which is the value of the top players at that position. We fail to realize as the market is set, this is near or above what the player will be asking the team for.

We're fools to think that a player playing at a high level is going to take less than market value. Yet once said player is digressing in his play, we complain that he's overpaid.

What is the team supposed to do allow these players just to walk? I'm aware that we can't pay everyone big money, but we will have to spend and we have an owner who likes to spend!

With that said we have to monitor how we say OVERPAID, your thoughts please!!!

Players playing at a high level are going to want their contract to match. Can't blame them. But the same goes for the teams. If a player is regressing or no longer worth what he's being paid, they have to move on. Can't blame them.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
And now he's a top producing TE. Top 10 last year, top 5 this year.

Two years running.

We done here?
Lots of football to be played. Jarwin will get more snaps and teams will stop playing cover two once they realize they actually need to stop the run, lol.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@Coogiguy03 If you are paid $20M like Lawrence and are getting outperformed by Odiggy making $1M, then you are overpaid.

If you are making $15M like Elliott and Pollard is playing just as well or better at $1M, then you are overpaid.

Overpaid is a comparison of production vs money for two people at the same position, even different teams.

Market value fluctuates. A player’s market value changes. Lawrence’s market value today is much lower than $20M. He would get much less if he were a FA.

cffl2323

Reaction score
Zeke is the only glaring bad contract we have left imo. Don't want to get into Law's too much, cause you either think he's worth the money(or close to it) or you think it's a horrible contract. Coop may be a little overpaid, but not a horrible contract by any means. Look what Lamb did when he was the focus of the defense, it's hard being the clear #1 WR. I'm still a huge Lamb fan, so don't take that wrong.

As a few have stated, there needs to be a clear place to go spend that money if you wanna start cutting quality players(regardless of their cap hit). Now if a true stud DT was out there and we needed some $$$ to get him, then I might be open to looking at some options, but Zeke would be front and center on that list.

Verdict

Reaction score
So you'll take on $8 million in dead cap in 2022 & $11 million in 2023 to downgrade LDE?

If you want to move on from LAWRENCE, I think 2023 makes more sense.

You can move on from Jarwin with only $1M Deadcap to go toward Shultz money

I think the crux of your position depends on what you think Tank “is”. You probably think that Tank is a valuable elite player and that his stats don’t tell the full story of his worth.

I think he was all about the money, he is paid to get sacks and he gets very few (zero so far this year). We are actually playing better without Tank which tends to disprove an argument that Tank is this great player who is undervalued even though he is chronically anemic in the sack department.

One of the fallacies of an argument “where are you going to spend the money if you take it away from Tank” is really sort of misguided. The salary cap is a finite resource. Every team starts out with the same amount. It can be rolled forward or backward for accounting purposes, but the NFL salary cap is a HARD CAP. The league can literally cut your players to get you under the salary cap.

If you take money away from Tank (like they just did Jaylon in 2022) it frees up money that can be spent on other player opportunities. There is no rule that those savings must be immediately invested in another player. But that cap relief represents additional cap availability to use if and when an opportunity arises.

The salary cap is not the only consideration in a player’s value to the team, but it is a super important consideration. Teams that manage the salary cap well, in a cold, dispassionate way tend to outperform the warm fuzzy let’s take care of Player XYZ (Witten) for what they have done rather than what you are doing for me NOW.

basel90

Reaction score
Agreed, but what are you going to do just keep players for 4 years and draft more??
in the case of zeke it was a mistake to draft him at 4th overall . jerry should never have caved when zeke went to cabo . Hope we can get value from him this year . it seems ok so far . but he is way overpaid.

Dlaw or smith should never been signed with these contracts. Jerry should do what beliceck does, if a player does not sign early on an extenstion offer , he trades him. Hope jerry is learning,

basel90

Reaction score
So tell me where you rather spend one of these guys contracts & how you fill the hole?
the patriots and pittsburg formula . Offer the player a deal early , if he does not sign , trade him or let him go and build from the draft and from FA. Keeping space in the cap gives you options and volume to pick from ,

Verdict

Reaction score
When D-Law said he was holding out his shoulder surgery until he got a contract and I knew he wouldn’t be ready in time for the beginning of the season I would have said see ya never or next year after you heal. Someone maybe would have signed him but not for what he got.

I would have taken the comp pick and moved on at that point. Based on the information avaible at that time, it would have stung, and left a mark, but it was the right move at time (which was all we had to go on) and it looks even more “the right move” the farther we go down the line.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lots of football to be played. Jarwin will get more snaps and teams will stop playing cover two once they realize they actually need to stop the run, lol.

This looks like more wishful thinking from you in the desperate hope they'll be able to afford to keep a player who's out of their price range. Good luck with that.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
This looks like more wishful thinking from you in the desperate hope they'll be able to afford to keep a player who's out of their price range. Good luck with that.
You're on some mighty fine LSD if you actually believe Schultz is going to get an 8-figure AAV offer this offseason. :laugh:

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
We are actually playing better without Tank which tends to disprove an argument that Tank is this great player who is undervalued even though he is chronically anemic in the sack department.

I think that is hardly fair when he's played exactly 1 game in this new defense, and played a pretty great game too (5 pressure, forced fumble, 94 PFF grade, against an elite RT).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're on some mighty fine LSD if you actually believe Schultz is going to get an 8-figure AAV offer this offseason. :laugh:

https://lh3.***BROKEN***/proxy/MYHzyLlbVMYVCEniIvLGDBqZWyZBoiwinYOVj8rxemXUULH_8N-iw-7wufR8VEZ6ZQJmDFf5uAbbe-9PCtGrNziaRm9rHFk6s0IXG_575bpLebSrXE_fioBEbqW0vwoCO7DZlfY3W1U5

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Fans way to worried about other peoples money
Yes and no. If it were strictly about how much the player is making, yes. But mostly fans worry about that money not going toward other players who could help the team.

That said, I have no problem with DLaw's contract, and I'm getting itchy to see him play with the help he'll have now.