We DID get a 4th for shanle...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
So basically the Saints media and Pasquarelli is saying its a 4th round pick via this guy which the Times Picayune is not disputing despite your falsification.

Falsification?

I am not trying to make you look foolish. But when you call someone a liar, you better have all your ducks in a row, my friend.

Reaction score
Here is the article from the Biloxi Sun Herald by Larry Holder:

Saints grab Cowboys linebacker

Price for Scott Shanle is fourth-round draft pick

By LARRY HOLDER

Lholder@sunherald.com

Two days after making a tackle on New Orleans Saints wide receiver Devery Henderson, middle linebacker Scott Shanle will be tackling ball carriers for the Saints.
Desperate for help at linebacker, the Saints acquired Shanle from the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for a 2007 fourth-round draft pick. The trade is pending Shanle's physical.
Linebacker has been a position in flux since the beginning of Saints training camp.
Scott Fujita, a former Cowboys teammate of Shanle, has been the only permanent fixture on the first team since the start of camp. Jay Foreman started against the Cowboys at middle linebacker.
Shanle will come in right away and compete for the starting job at middle linebacker.
Saints coach Sean Payton and defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs also know what Shanle brings to the field. Both coaches were assistants under Bill Parcells in Dallas for Shanle's first three years in the league.
"Scott is happy to be with the Saints," his agent Jordan Woy said via e-mail. "He has played for coach Payton and coach Gibbs in the past. He is anxious to learn the team's defense and help anyway he can."
Shanle began last season as the Cowboys' nickel linebacker. But when starter Dat Nguyen retired after suffering numerous injuries, Shanle became the team's weakside starter.
He finished last season with 50 tackles and 1.5 sacks.
Shanle began his career with the St. Louis Rams as a seventh-round pick in 2003. He served a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances. The Cowboys picked him up off waivers later that season.
The Saints reportedly had their eyes on San Diego Chargers linebacker Donnie Edwards. The Chargers' leading tackler during the past four seasons confirmed the rumors Monday that the Saints had offered the Chargers a fourth-round draft pick. General manager A.J. Smith apparently turned down the offer. He wanted a second-rounder for Edwards.

I just pray that it's true.

Alexander

Reaction score
Cogan said:
Here is the article from the Biloxi Sun Herald by Larry Holder:

Posting it twice doesn't give it any more credibility.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Alexander said:
So how exactly is Clayton any worse than Pasquarelli or Mortenson or any of the other journalists that work for them. They have been wrong in the past. And rarely printed retractions or denials.

And it was also a relatively minor trade that isn't necessarily going to have anyone go back and remind them to verify anything. This wasn't the Herschel Walker trade. The fact that ESPN has not modified anything is not that significant.

Another facet of the team website, is why on earth would the Dallas official site continue to say the same story, over and over again, if it were false. Are we to assume the due diligence from the team website doesn't exist either? And moreover, why would they lie about it being a lower round draft choice? It's not like we can fool anyone until next April.

No, just team sources, which might be even better.

So, you discredit the official sites writers, yet expect the New Orleans Saints ones to be on the ball? Aren't they all insignificant worms in comparison to the journalistic giant that is Len Pasquarelli?

Look here.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-25/115640013250270.xml&coll=1

Who is lying here?

Sorry, yours is from the 23rd. Mine is more recent.

So please do us all a favor and stop presenting nonsense to support your own take.

If you dont understand how the fact that that site has both articles still up at this very moment and how that muddles the whole picture I dont know what will. All that shows is that The Times Picayune has no credibility.

As for the ESPN thing, you are right they dont print anything resembling a retraction or a denail. They simply remove the false information. In fact they are extremely dilligent about it as a bunch of posters around here have commented on.

As for the team website they have NOT said this story over and over again. The dates on it are all from two days ago. They reported it on the 23rd and have been silent since.

But in all of this what should stand out to anyone who has the facts is that this situation at best is unclear and to say that one side is right with out question is stupid.

That is not to say that I think that Phillips or Pasquarelli or Harmon or any of the other players are hacks, I just take umbrage that you have to be a condescending jerk to anyone who just isnt positive that it has to be a 7th round pick.

Alexander

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
If you dont understand how the fact that that site has both articles still up at this very moment and how that muddles the whole picture I dont know what will.

And if you don't understand how information can change in one day's time as more information is uncovered, I don't know what will help you understand either.

All that shows is that The Times Picayune has no credibility.

No it means one story was published at a later time which has nothing to say about "credibility".

I just take umbrage that you have to be a condescending jerk to anyone who just isnt positive that it has to be a 7th round pick.

I also take serious exception to being called a liar, especially when someone doesn't have their own facts straight.

And by the way, Todd Archer agrees with me as well.

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/....29ccb086.html
By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
On Wednesday, the Cowboys traded Shanle to New Orleans where he will be reunited with familiar faces in head coach Sean Payton and defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs. The Cowboys receive a seventh-round draft pick in 2007.

Angus

Reaction score
Alexander said:
So, explain this to me.

You mean to say that Len Pasquarelli was wrong?

This cannot be!

And Parcells can't be wrong either. He said it was a provisional pick.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Falsification?

I am not trying to make you look foolish. But when you call someone a liar, you better have all your ducks in a row, my friend.

You seem to fail to understand that your opinion on that matter really matters to me not at all.

I looked at the site and saw that it said it was an undisclosed draft pick so I called you a liar. It turns out they have another story there that says a 4th round pick quoting 'league sources.'

At best you didnt give the full picture opf what is going on over at that newspaper and that in my book is still deception whether it was intentional or not.

Deal with it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Alexander said:
And if you don't understand how information can change in one day's time as more information is uncovered, I don't know what will help you understand either.

No it means one story was published at a later time which has nothing to say about "credibility".

Umm actually in that type of case it addresses the fact that there was another staory and this one was correct. That is not what happened. That place is just as confused as to the facts as anyone else.

Alexander

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
You seem to fail to understand that your opinion on that matter really matters to me not at all.

I looked at the site and saw that it said it was an undisclosed draft pick so I called you a liar. It turns out they have another story there that says a 4th round pick quoting 'league sources.'

And again, the information cited in my link was more recent. So how exactly is that "another" story. It is called updating information.

At best you didnt give the full picture opf what is going on over at that newspaper and that in my book is still deception whether it was intentional or not.

Deal with it.

It isn't deception when I am not so lazy as to quote an older article to support my assertion. I presented my evidence long before you decided to show up with your own idiotic assertions (and insinuations of me lying), which were based on pretty pathetic information.

If anyone is without the "full picture" and didn't bother to present it, it is you.

I am beginning to think you have a serious reading comprehension problem or cannot admit when you have been made a fool out of.

Deal with it.

Reaction score
Well, I've tried twice, now. This time I'll just put in the link to the story, & my post won't get deleted! This is the story from the Sun Herald in Biloxi.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/sports/football/nfl/new_orleans_saints/15346937.htm

There, hopefully, you can click on to it & read for yourself. Guess we're not allowed to copy newspapers on here, although I see it all the time.

Hope this is true. It will help kill the sting of losing high rd. picks lately like Peterman & Henson.

DefendeR

Benched
Reaction score
I heard Pat Kirwan talking about a possible Chargers-Saints trade that stalled because the Chargers wanted a first day pick(3rd rounder) from the Saints for Donnie Edwards.The Saints were offering a 4th rounder.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DefendeR said:
I heard Pat Kirwan talking about a possible Chargers-Saints trade that stalled because the Chargers wanted a first day pick(3rd rounder) from the Saints for Donnie Edwards.The Saints were offering a 4th rounder.

Yeah, but Edwards > Shanle -- by a wide wide margin.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Cogan said:
Well, I've tried twice, now. This time I'll just put in the link to the story, & my post won't get deleted! This is the story from the Sun Herald in Biloxi.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/sports/football/nfl/new_orleans_saints/15346937.htm

There, hopefully, you can click on to it & read for yourself. Guess we're not allowed to copy newspapers on here, although I see it all the time.

Hope this is true. It will help kill the sting of losing high rd. picks lately like Peterman & Henson.

:rolleyes: My God man it's on the official Dallas Cowboys site as a 7th. Please stop the madness.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander said:
And again, the information cited in my link was more recent. So how exactly is that "another" story. It is called updating information.

It isn't deception when I am not so lazy as to quote an older article to support my assertion. I presented my evidence long before you decided to show up with your own idiotic assertions (and insinuations of me lying), which were based on pretty pathetic information.

If anyone is without the "full picture" and didn't bother to present it, it is you.

I am beginning to think you have a serious reading comprehension problem or cannot admit when you have been made a fool out of.

Deal with it.

I think they are close to convining you on this 4th thing...

If someone would just post that article one more time! :D

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
So can anyone give us the cliff notes version if I don't want to read through all 100 replies? :D

Did we, or did we not get the 4th?

If we got the 7th... meh.

If we got the 4th... holy Tom Landry in heaven, we just robbed the Saints. Someone ask Sean Payton and the other former Cowboys coaches if they want more of their former boys. We'll depart with Drew Henson for the low low price of a 4th rounder too. ;)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TruBlueCowboy said:
So can anyone give us the cliff notes version if I don't want to read through all 100 replies? :D

Did we, or did we not get the 4th?

If we got the 7th... meh.

If we got the 4th... holy Tom Landry in heaven, we just robbed the Saints. Someone ask Sean Payton and the other former Cowboys coaches if they want more of their former boys. We'll depart with Drew Henson for the low low price of a 4th rounder too. ;)

It's a conditional 7th UNLESS someone posts that "Biloxi Blues" newspaper article again... and then Alexander says we get a 4th. ;)