Twitter: We have to act quick if we want Rivera

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
hard pass on rivera.

i hope the skins don't sign him , he is much better than garrett .

RodeoJake

Reaction score
We'd better act quickly on Riley, if he's on the radar. After today, his stock is sure to soar.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
A reputable coach won't come here with JJ in the mix on the field, unless he has nowhere else to go, and only looking for a quick final payout! Regardless, it won't fix this org/team run the way it has been under JJ... He'll be gone in 4 yrs max, and the result will be the same.

I think this is just what fans believe. Most coaches just want a front office that will go and get them the players they need to succeed. There are plenty of teams over the years that have ownership that won't do that.

Parcells never doubted Jerry's desire to win and had nothing but praise for him. We don't like the fact that he won't give up the GM spot. I don't think coaches are really all that concerned about that. If he tells them who to play, stops them from getting who they feel they need, etc., then there's a problem.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Rivera's former coaching gigs and the results that followed haven't been anything to get excited about. However, if the Cowboys' FO gets turned down often enough, maybe he'll start looking a lot better to them. He's definitely had pro experience, even if it hasn't been highly impressive.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Skins go Rivera we must one up them with Urban. We can’t go down. Gents could get Rhule too.

College coaches who become 1st time NFL head coaches has a dismal record. We have to go all the way back to Jimmy Johnson for the last college coach turned 1st time NFL head coach to win a Super Bowl with that first team. What you Meyer fans just don't get is he has a great college record because he's able to go out and get all the 5 star high school players he wants and the most other colleges get the leftovers. Also how college coaches handle kids 1, 2 or just 3 years out of high school is a lot different than what they can do in the NFL because of the CBA. In college if the team is having a bad practice he can hold them out there practicing as long as he wants. In the NFL the CBA dictates how long practices are. In college they practice in pads every practice and have contact in every practice, in the NFL they get ONE practice a week with contact These are all reason that college coaches fail so bad as 1st time NFL head coaches. So if you're really a Cowboys fan stop hoping for a type of coach that has such big odds for failure.

Aven8

Reaction score
College coaches who become 1st time NFL head coaches has a dismal record. We have to go all the way back to Jimmy Johnson for the last college coach turned 1st time NFL head coach to win a Super Bowl with that first team. What you Meyer fans just don't get is he has a great college record because he's able to go out and get all the 5 star high school players he wants and the most other colleges get the leftovers. Also how college coaches handle kids 1, 2 or just 3 years out of high school is a lot different than what they can do in the NFL because of the CBA. In college if the team is having a bad practice he can hold them out there practicing as long as he wants. In the NFL the CBA dictates how long practices are. In college they practice in pads every practice and have contact in every practice, in the NFL they get ONE practice a week with contact These are all reason that college coaches fail so bad as 1st time NFL head coaches. So if you're really a Cowboys fan stop hoping for a type of coach that has such big odds for failure.

I’m not a huge fan per se of Urban, but the dude can coach. He’s been successful at all different tiers in College. The NFL coaches currently available suck. Name me one or two that are better than he? I can’t think of any. He doesn’t run a gimmick offense, even though people said the Air Raid was a gimmick, and now multiple coaches in the NFL are using it in concepts. Urban commands respect, but I would also take Dabo. I want someone with Skins and know how to win. These players need to believe in someone that has actually won.

cellarrodent

Reaction score
I think this is just what fans believe. Most coaches just want a front office that will go and get them the players they need to succeed. There are plenty of teams over the years that have ownership that won't do that.

Parcells never doubted Jerry's desire to win and had nothing but praise for him. We don't like the fact that he won't give up the GM spot. I don't think coaches are really all that concerned about that. If he tells them who to play, stops them from getting who they feel they need, etc., then there's a problem.
BS...in a nice way...of course! Parcells "beat feet" the hell outta there... Nice things to say...yeah, that's what a class professional would do and say, isn't it? Didn't stay gone for too long though, almost immediately started with another team...which is a good "middle finger" indicator with class...

Last edited:

cellarrodent

Reaction score
GK...how ya been? Nice to see schools still in session!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I’m not a huge fan per se of Urban, but the dude can coach. He’s been successful at all different tiers in College. The NFL coaches currently available suck. Name me one or two that are better than he? I can’t think of any. He doesn’t run a gimmick offense, even though people said the Air Raid was a gimmick, and now multiple coaches in the NFL are using it in concepts. Urban commands respect, but I would also take Dabo. I want someone with Skins and know how to win. These players need to believe in someone that has actually won.

If coaching in college was the same as the NFL then those 1st time NFL coaches wouldn't have such a dismal record. You obviously don't get that college coaches can run rough shod over KIDS that they can't do in the NFL. They also can't just go out and sign whatever college players they want, they have to get them ONE pick at a time in a predetermined order. I would much rather give an opportunity to some position coach or coordinator that have NFL experience that throw years away in a college coach that has such huge odds for failure. NFL experience trumps any college experience no matter how good that college experience is.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
He's had more post-season success than Garrett but his "good year/bad year" pattern hits too close to home.

Pass.
Yeah, he’s a Garrett clone in so many ways. He has basically the same record, same number of playoff appearances, the good/bad yearly rotation, and is a former player and player’s coach.

More importantly, he’s not a sexy pick so I don’t see Jerry pulling the trigger on him.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just seeing all the posts saying "pass" are amusing to me since most excused worse performance from Garrett for a full decade. Now you get all finicky?

Here's the difference.

Rivera has 0 playoff appearances in 5 years.

Garrett has 1 losing season and 3 playoff appearances.

Rivera has done nothing without gettleman. If you move on from Garrett why in the world would you think Rivera would do anything better?