We have to be active in FA

Mr_437

Reaction score
I think we can wait and get Ray Davis in rd 2 or 3. The Kentucky RB. Hes a stud. I like the Notre Dame rb too. Estime. In rd 1, if RB is rated highest on our board, you take him. But we really need to fix the trenches.
What did you eat for breakfast, your on fire already today?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It’s literally the opposite.

Once you pay Dak, restructure Martin and Diggs you turn into positive +35-$40 million

Hell, you extend Lamb which you are going to do and lower his $17.99 million hit.

Gallup gives you an additional $9 million post June.
They are likely looking at restructure for Daks base and bonus.

But he still has a huge dead cap hit.

And he wants mega millions with a new deal.

Martin is UFA after the season. That would be pushing that huge cap hit down the road.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Not a joke.

We got scrubs at RB.

RB1 in the 1st.
You don't waste first round picks on running backs in todays NFL when you can get them in the third round on....The problem with the running game last year was the play of the offensive line, specifically Steele and Biadasz who were horrible...

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
So, what you’re saying is that it’s critical that we extend Dak?

Please give your thoughts.
this is false...we can kick the can down the road with void years just like kicking the can down the road with a restructure. Ceedee's extension alone will free up 10M in cap space and there are kickers that are made to be used in both recently signed Diggs and Steele's contract which will free up another 20M. We can get 30M in cap space and have cap to sign our rookie class just from that.

then i'll add likely post june 1 cut MG will free up another 9M. there's a method of doing this without the restructure that a lot of people on this board are not taking seriously. if you do your own research instead of watching Stephan A Smith you will understand how teams like Greenbay walk away from Aaron Rodgers 50M cap hit and still make the playoffs.

Jipper

Reaction score
If that's true, then why bother resigning our FAs? Break the bank for 2-3 players and never win anything? That's been Jerry's philosophy for years. And Cap Boy wants us all to believe we have no money, we can't do what other teams seem to be able to do. Fine...if we will only ever win a Super Bowl by building through the draft, then best start trading those in-house FAs for draft capital right now. But instead this time next year Jerry will be selling Zimmer as the guy who will lead us to a Super Bowl in 2025. And then the cap will still be "a real thing". Repeat.
preach on

Creeper

Reaction score
We have 7* picks in the draft, exactly how many of them do you expect to be involved heavily as a rookie? I'm on the record to say if we keep going on with our same "we like our guys, we have to look at other contracts coming up, free agency is 365/24/7" but do nothing, things aren't going to be great around here! We have to be active, and if we're not going to target these 3 main areas of importance, get ready for more struggles: OL, DT, LB. We can hold off on the "cute" items (rb) for a bit, fix what needs to be fixed, and let's get better and more physical. Please give your thoughts..
If they want to go "all in" this year then yes, they have to be active in free agency, and early in free agency. The positions of need are as you listed. DL, LB, OL, RB, WR., in that order with DL and LB being just about equal.

I think they can address OL, WR and RB in he draft. I think LB is a 50-50 split draft and Free agency. On the DL, I do not think they will find any quick fixes in the draft unless they are extremely lucky. I think they need to go big in free agency. Even if they sign 1 impact player on the DL it will greatly improve their run defense, assuming the find some real LBs.

Will Jerry just this once change his philosophy and sign someone like Christian Wilkins of Justin Madubuike? I have a feeling Chris Jones, Wilkins and Madubuike might be give the franchise tag by their teams. If that's the case then I would go hard at Patrick Queen. Baltimore is already paying Roquan Smith $20 million/year. I doubt they will give Queen a similar contract. If the Ravens let anyone go I think it will be Queen. The problem is there are a few teams that will go hard at him including the Eagles and Commanders. The Commanders have a ton more money than Dallas has.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We all know that IF Jerry and stevie decide to jump into FA, it will be the scrubs, rejects, castoffs, and misfits who have one foot in the Home Depot door and the other foot on a banana peel. We need for them to sign at least a couple of difference makers, impact players who are going to start or get a lot of PT. Not those who may not even make it out of camp. We are only fooling ourselves if we think they are going after anyone in the top 50 FA list. More like the bottom 50, Jerry likes to not have to outbid anyone and have all the leverage.

Said before, this FO has put themselves into a very undesirable situation; that it is almost impossible to sign anyone of value other than their own.
Stevie likes to sign his own players since he has at least seen those guys play.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
this is false...we can kick the can down the road with void years just like kicking the can down the road with a restructure. Ceedee's extension alone will free up 10M in cap space and there are kickers that are made to be used in both recently signed Diggs and Steele's contract which will free up another 20M. We can get 30M in cap space and have cap to sign our rookie class just from that.

then i'll add likely post june 1 cut MG will free up another 9M. there's a method of doing this without the restructure that a lot of people on this board are not taking seriously. if you do your own research instead of watching Stephan A Smith you will understand how teams like Greenbay walk away from Aaron Rodgers 50M cap hit and still make the playoffs.
That’s because no one believes for a second that the cowboys are seriously entertaining moving on from dak so it’s pretty ridiculous to entertain it. No one doubts that those are ways to maneuver the cap if they want to move on from dak - it’s just not based in reality.

They are keeping dak here for a long time, regardless of what we or anyone feels

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
If they want to go "all in" this year then yes, they have to be active in free agency, and early in free agency. The positions of need are as you listed. DL, LB, OL, RB, WR., in that order with DL and LB being just about equal.

I think they can address OL, WR and RB in he draft. I think LB is a 50-50 split draft and Free agency. On the DL, I do not think they will find any quick fixes in the draft unless they are extremely lucky. I think they need to go big in free agency. Even if they sign 1 impact player on the DL it will greatly improve their run defense, assuming the find some real LBs.

Will Jerry just this once change his philosophy and sign someone like Christian Wilkins of Justin Madubuike? I have a feeling Chris Jones, Wilkins and Madubuike might be give the franchise tag by their teams. If that's the case then I would go hard at Patrick Queen. Baltimore is already paying Roquan Smith $20 million/year. I doubt they will give Queen a similar contract. If the Ravens let anyone go I think it will be Queen. The problem is there are a few teams that will go hard at him including the Eagles and Commanders. The Commanders have a ton more money than Dallas has.
I think Wilkins is gettable. Jones and madubuike worst case get tagged and won’t come close to open market imo. Dolphins gm has used phrases like “he’s earned the right to test free agency” etc and from what I gather Wilkins has made it known he doesn’t want to be tagged by the dolphins.

Now, I have no expectations we get Wilkins but I do think of those 3 players he’ll hit the open market and we could get him if we wanted. Queen will hit the open market also but I have no desire paying 18m per year for him. To me he’s a good player who wants great player money. I’ll pass.

If I’m throwing big money at one position it’s DT, I think the cowboys can sign a hicks, Kendrick’s, Jewell. Cashman type linebacker for cheaper salary and still see a big difference at the linebacker position because they are natural linebackers who know the nuance of the position.

I think the cowboys should go after Wilkins. Get a run stuffing, pressure generating big boy to plug the middle and go from there. He’s not as good as Jones or madubuike but still a very good get.

kskboys

Reaction score
You don't waste first round picks on running backs in todays NFL when you can get them in the third round on....The problem with the running game last year was the play of the offensive line, specifically Steele and Biadasz who were horrible...
21 of 32 starting RB's were taken in the first 2 rounds. The later round RB's thingie is a fan idea and isn't true.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
21 of 32 starting RB's were taken in the first 2 rounds. The later round RB's thingie is a fan idea and isn't true.
Isaah Pacheco from KC is on line one, a seventh round selection with another Superbowl...the running back position has been devalued, teams are just not paying them big contracts, using them, moving on from them and getting another one....Offensive line makes a running back, not the other way round

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We have 7* picks in the draft, exactly how many of them do you expect to be involved heavily as a rookie? I'm on the record to say if we keep going on with our same "we like our guys, we have to look at other contracts coming up, free agency is 365/24/7" but do nothing, things aren't going to be great around here! We have to be active, and if we're not going to target these 3 main areas of importance, get ready for more struggles: OL, DT, LB. We can hold off on the "cute" items (rb) for a bit, fix what needs to be fixed, and let's get better and more physical. Please give your thoughts..
Not many thoughts to give...this is a no brainer, why even ask? Jeez

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry already said we're all in. You don't believe him?
FNrCp92WUAYixv7.jpg

shabazz

Reaction score
Get ready for Jerry explaining how “we were very active in free agency” after we re-sign a bunch of our guys.
Or Jerry's version of being active in free agency is signing players PAST their prime.....theres nothing wrong with those players as depth but relying on them as starters has its limitations.....and we've all seen that in action

CWR

Reaction score
Agree.

By mid March, the team has to cut players and restructure contracts to get under the cap.

Dak is a big part of that.

I want him gone. But this thing could go either way.
No chance Dak is gone. It's going one way only. I just hope it happens quick enough to salvage an actual FA period.