We have to be active in FA

Chasing6

Reaction score
We have 7* picks in the draft, exactly how many of them do you expect to be involved heavily as a rookie? I'm on the record to say if we keep going on with our same "we like our guys, we have to look at other contracts coming up, free agency is 365/24/7" but do nothing, things aren't going to be great around here! We have to be active, and if we're not going to target these 3 main areas of importance, get ready for more struggles: OL, DT, LB. We can hold off on the "cute" items (rb) for a bit, fix what needs to be fixed, and let's get better and more physical. Please give your thoughts..
First round Center would start. 2nd round RB would start. Need a DT and LB in free agency.

Resign T. Smith.

Carson

Reaction score
First round Center would start. 2nd round RB would start. Need a DT and LB in free agency.

Resign T. Smith.
I think it’s that simple. Bring back Hankins, Lewis, Tyron and sign two guys like Kendricks and Gus Edwards

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
jerry loves you guys who are trying to fix his team. looking at the draft and FA, while he's out on his yacht, drinking, and not giving two craps.
"where's piss bucket boy, bring the bucket boy" it's good being the king.

Please don't complain when Jerry does nothing. An old vet is entering your team soon.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think Wilkins is gettable. Jones and madubuike worst case get tagged and won’t come close to open market imo. Dolphins gm has used phrases like “he’s earned the right to test free agency” etc and from what I gather Wilkins has made it known he doesn’t want to be tagged by the dolphins.

Now, I have no expectations we get Wilkins but I do think of those 3 players he’ll hit the open market and we could get him if we wanted. Queen will hit the open market also but I have no desire paying 18m per year for him. To me he’s a good player who wants great player money. I’ll pass.

If I’m throwing big money at one position it’s DT, I think the cowboys can sign a hicks, Kendrick’s, Jewell. Cashman type linebacker for cheaper salary and still see a big difference at the linebacker position because they are natural linebackers who know the nuance of the position.

I think the cowboys should go after Wilkins. Get a run stuffing, pressure generating big boy to plug the middle and go from there. He’s not as good as Jones or madubuike but still a very good get.
Good points. But will Jerry pay Wilkins in the area of $26 million or more? I say no. He can't. Not if he has to pay Dak, Micah and CeeDee.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I’d sooner slice off an eyelid than defend those two, so it’s not about that….but it’s not easy to find several good players in a draft when you’re picking late.

There’s typically 16-20 players that get first round grades and we have been picking in the mid 20s of late.

The system is set up for teams to have peaks and valleys, both with draft position and eventual available cap space as your better player get second deals….yet Jerry and kid seem to have this grand master plan of thinking they can contend for all of eternity by being conservative in FA and leaving the roster short during a time when they should be at least a little more aggressive.

Without even trying to be negative, take a look at the draft results of the last few years. Some great starters in round one, but little else. Not enough anyway. There’s no way that doesn’t catch up to them on the field before all that long.

They really do need to make a serious dive into FA to compensate if they expect to continue to contend from here, but I doubt they will see it that way. Does that not make sense to even the most positive of folks or am I just being a “hater?”

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
That worked well in 2023 didn’t it?

Less expensive to draft RB1 in the first round.

That gives us a 5th year option too.

UFAs are expensive and there’s usually a reason no one wants them.
Which RB are you thinking we should draft in the first round? Be serious, and not just throw out some names.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Good points. But will Jerry pay Wilkins in the area of $26 million or more? I say no. He can't. Not if he has to pay Dak, Micah and CeeDee.
No, but I thought this was just an off-season daydream thread ;) ….fully expect no major signings at all. Think Wilkins is around 20m per but it’s moot because he won’t pay that.

They could sign a player to that money however with the necessary extensions/cuts/restructures

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not expecting Jerry and son to do anything major in FA, other than maybe signing a few of their "own" FA's. That's their definition of being active in Free Agency. I seriously doubt they are going to go out a get a "tier 1" free agent....but maybe they'll surprise us. I'm not holding my breath.
I hear that!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was asking you.
I have several guys I like the kid allen from wisconsin has really peaked my interest lately, kid from FSU also, this kid you mentioned isn't too bad! Reminds me of a smaller pollard

Creeper

Reaction score
No, but I thought this was just an off-season daydream thread ;) ….fully expect no major signings at all. Think Wilkins is around 20m per but it’s moot because he won’t pay that.

They could sign a player to that money however with the necessary extensions/cuts/restructures
Don't get me wrong. I want Jerry to shell out the big bucks for an immediate impact play at DT. It may cause a problem in 2025 or 2026, but Going all in means trying to win now. So go for it and take the medicine later.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I want Jerry to shell out the big bucks for an immediate impact play at DT. It may cause a problem in 2025 or 2026, but Going all in means trying to win now. So go for it and take the medicine later.
Oh I agree. Would love for it to happen, I’ll worry about it a year or 2. Ironically, all those teams in the nfc who would “pay for it later” bucs, eagles, rams, niners but specifically teams like Los Angeles and Tampa bay- won super bowls and are in the same exact spot as us right now…playoff teams except they pushed in and built back.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
If by active you mean big and little Enos spending the first two weeks of FA in the Bahamas sipping umbrella drinks, than yes, we will be very active

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
We don't have enough flexibility with the cap to do much of anything in free agency. We desperately have to hit with the draft picks to get younger starters playing on their rookie contracts. Teams that have won the Super Bowl, are teams that had a lot of their star players playing on a rookie deal. We got some huge contract coming up at the same time. I suspect you could see some shocking trades this year of players you never saw coming for maybe draft picks but don't expect it to be any of our offensive lineman.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We don't have enough flexibility with the cap to do much of anything in free agency. We desperately have to hit with the draft picks to get younger starters playing on their rookie contracts. Teams that have won the Super Bowl, are teams that had a lot of their star players playing on a rookie deal. We got some huge contract coming up at the same time. I suspect you could see some shocking trades this year of players you never saw coming for maybe draft picks but don't expect it to be any of our offensive lineman.
this is a myth and people on here will tell you that you can "manipulate the cap!"

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
this is a myth and people on here will tell you that you can "manipulate the cap!"
You can manipulate your way around contracts only for so long. I understand that much about the Salary Cap. You also have to be creative with when to cut, and trade your superstars and still get compensation for them.