We haven't been to a NFC Championship game in 20 years.

Nav22

Reaction score
yeah, yeah, yeah -- and al bundy scored four touchdowns in one game for polk high back in '66. but what has he done lately?

look, i don't feel sorry for myself, and i wouldn't trade my team or my team's history for anything else.

it's *because* i enjoyed those championships so much that the futility since then has been so disappointing.

anyway, if you're not rooting for new wins and championships to enjoy now, what are you doing as a cowboys fan?

Al Bundy's the man and he'll always be a Polk High legend.

Of course I'm rooting for new titles, I'm just realistic to the fact that it's extremely difficult to come by.

It's not that disappointing to me that we haven't won it all in awhile. I'm rooting hard for them and I hope like hell that Romo and Witten can get it done, but I've seen my Cowboys win it 3 times in 24 years as a fan. That's top-of-the-line level success. If you're expecting better than that, you're just asking to be terribly disappointed.

Oh, yeah: my Warriors won it all last year and will likely win it again this June, and my SF Giants won 3 times recently as well (although I'm not a big baseball fan). I've been insanely spoiled as a sports fan and I'll never take it for granted, even if I never get to witness another title.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
But the team is relevant, profitable, got a big stadium, and is opening up a shiny new headquarters. Who cares about winning records and playoffs when business is so good?

You my friend....get it! They've already won! The on the field "thing" is just gravy. People claim Jason will be on the hot seat! Really? He has 30m coming his way win or lose! Jerry talks Super Bowl EVERY year. And EVERY year we struggle to either make the playoffs or win a playoff game....except the years when we are struggling to play above .500 ball. And guess what. Year after year. No Super Bowl. No playoff wins. Heck, very few playoff appearances. BUT...BUT....the value of the franchise keeps going up....dwarfing sports franchises WORLDWIDE! So what evidence does he have that he is NOT doing a good job? The on the field record? If losing matters, why is this franchise still the Golden Goose?

Jerry is in the entertainment business. He is throwing a party every Sunday. And he does not care what team you root for. Just show up, buy food, buy drinks, buy some lingerie, pay for parking, tip the dancers, enjoy the 'free" concerts...and by all means...come back next week.

P.S. - don't forget to tell your neighbor....Jerry sure knows how to throw a party! That is the part of his job description he gets right!

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
You my friend....get it! They've already won! The on the field "thing" is just gravy. People claim Jason will be on the hot seat! Really? He has 30m coming his way win or lose! Jerry talks Super Bowl EVERY year. And EVERY year we struggle to either make the playoffs or win a playoff game....except the years when we are struggling to play above .500 ball. And guess what. Year after year. No Super Bowl. No playoff wins. Heck, very few playoff appearances. BUT...BUT....the value of the franchise keeps going up....dwarfing sports franchises WORLDWIDE! So what evidence does he have that he is NOT doing a good job? The on the field record? If losing matters, why is this franchise still the Golden Goose?

Jerry is in the entertainment business. He is throwing a party every Sunday. And he does not care what team you root for. Just show up, buy food, buy drinks, buy some lingerie, pay for parking, tip the dancers, enjoy the 'free" concerts...and by all means...come back next week.

P.S. - don't forget to tell your neighbor....Jerry sure knows how to throw a party! That is the part of his job description he gets right!

smart biz guy. a very very slick man too. one of the best.

at the expense of cowboys having a smart gm of course.

gm is held on lock without any accountability. thats smart though. at the expense of cowboys fans.

so in some sense also a smart owner if you look at it that way. he can't get fired at either of his 3 positions. he holds all the keys and all the cards.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Since we have been, only the Commanders and Lions have a longer drought. Every single other NFC team has been. Tampa has been and won it all. Cardinals have been and won the NFC. Eagles have been 4 or 5 times. Giants 3 times.

Expansion team Carolina has been 3 times, once going to the Super Bowl. Jaguars have been to 2 AFC title game.

But nothing will change with Jerry in charge. He's created a toxic environment and no sense of direction. He's been terrible when the salary cap was implemented.

Nav22

Reaction score
Aren't you the one who is constantly going on about "one winner and 31 losers"?

Yes. Because that's all that really matters.

But for those who want to whine about cherry-picked stats like "no NFC Championship games in 20 years", I'll remind them that we won a playoff game just last year.

I could cherry-pick a stat to make us seem awesome recently too. How many teams have won a playoff game since 2014? It's got to be less than 10, right?

Then there's that inconvenient little matter of being the Team of the '90s and winning 3 Super Bowls, making it 5 total Super Bowl wins in 8 trips total.

Cowboys fans have absolutely nothing to complain about relative to the vast majority of NFL fans. Won't stop them from trying!

PoundTheRock

Reaction score
It's funny and sad how Cowboys fans have beaten down to the point where one playoff win and "being close" is satisfying to them. Like there isn't even an expectation that this team should be consistently great anymore. I guess that's a big reason why it's going to be a long time before there's a team on the field we can be proud of.

Dodger12

Reaction score
It's funny and sad how Cowboys fans have beaten down to the point where one playoff win and "being close" is satisfying to them. Like there isn't even an expectation that this team should be consistently great anymore. I guess that's a big reason why it's going to be a long time before there's a team on the field we can be proud of.

There was a time when the Cardinals were the laughing stock of the NFL and perennial losers. Since parity, the Cards have gone to the SB and are going to their 2nd NFC Championship game (with 2 different coaches and 2 different QB's) and we're still stuck in the mud. Now we appreciate the intangibles like guys "playing hard" or "not quitting", etc. Good times......

Plankton

Reaction score
Sounds like the Cowboys have been in a little bit of a slump.

While I am as unhappy as everyone else, consider some perspective here:
  • The Lions have won one playoff game since 1957.
  • The Steelers didn't win a playoff game between 1933 and 1972, and only made it once in that timespan (1947).
  • The Commanders didn't make the playoffs between 1946 and 1971. They also have only won 2 playoff games in the last 24 years.
  • The Patriots didn't win a playoff game between 1964 and 1985.
  • The 49ers won three playoff games between 1946 and 1981.
  • The Giants didn't make the playoffs between 1964 and 1981.
  • The Packers made the playoffs three times between 1968 and 1993, and won two playoff games in that span.
  • The Eagles haven't won a championship since 1960, and missed the playoffs between 1961 and 1978.
  • The Browns have made the playoffs once since 1994. They haven't won a playoff game in that span.
  • The Jets haven't made a Super Bowl since 1968.
Yes, it's frustrating. Yes, this year was a complete abortion of a season. Yes, Jerry Jones has choked life from this franchise. But, at the end of the day, there are others who have gone through far worse.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Sounds like the Cowboys have been in a little bit of a slump.

While I am as unhappy as everyone else, consider some perspective here:
  • The Lions have won one playoff game since 1957.
  • The Steelers didn't win a playoff game between 1933 and 1972, and only made it once in that timespan (1947).
  • The Commanders didn't make the playoffs between 1946 and 1971. They also have only won 2 playoff games in the last 24 years.
  • The Patriots didn't win a playoff game between 1964 and 1985.
  • The 49ers won three playoff games between 1946 and 1981.
  • The Giants didn't make the playoffs between 1964 and 1981.
  • The Packers made the playoffs three times between 1968 and 1993, and won two playoff games in that span.
  • The Eagles haven't won a championship since 1960, and missed the playoffs between 1961 and 1978.
  • The Browns have made the playoffs once since 1994. They haven't won a playoff game in that span.
  • The Jets haven't made a Super Bowl since 1968.
Yes, it's frustrating. Yes, this year was a complete abortion of a season. Yes, Jerry Jones has choked life from this franchise. But, at the end of the day, there are others who have gone through far worse.

So the moral of this history lesson is don't expect the Cowboys to win anything more meaningful in my lifetime. Remember the good times. lol

Plankton

Reaction score
So the moral of this history lesson is don't expect the Cowboys to win anything more meaningful in my lifetime. Remember the good times. lol

giphy.gif

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Since we have been, only the Commanders and Lions have a longer drought. Every single other NFC team has been. Tampa has been and won it all. Cardinals have been and won the NFC. Eagles have been 4 or 5 times. Giants 3 times.

Expansion team Carolina has been 3 times, once going to the Super Bowl. Jaguars have been to 2 AFC title game.

But nothing will change with Jerry in charge. He's created a toxic environment and no sense of direction. He's been terrible when the salary cap was implemented.

This is what I found interesting when hearing this talked about on the radio today....Carolina no only has been 3 times in those 20 years but did it under 3 different regimes or philosophies. Almost the whole NFC has gone and we have been consistently mediocre.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then, hopefully they find that nut here soon I'm not getting any younger. And yes I have seen all the Boys SBs and I am spoiled and want more.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
This is what I found interesting when hearing this talked about on the radio today....Carolina no only has been 3 times in those 20 years but did it under 3 different regimes or philosophies. Almost the whole NFC has gone and we have been consistently mediocre.

Jerry Jones. We can blame Wade, Jason and others and they had their faults. But it's Jerry who won't hire a real coach. His ego is way too big for that to happen. He only hired Bill because he wanted that stadium built. And we were 5-11 for 3 years in a row. So we needed to get out of that. But that relationship ended up falling apart. As did Jimmy's. He can't stand having a real coach here.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Useless stat. Getting to the NFC title game alone means absolutely nothing.

One winner, 31 losers.

Since 1992, America's Team has won 3 Super Bowls. Only the Patriots have won more during that span.

Why do you people think the Cowboys are SO hated by everyone who's not a Cowboys fan? Here's a hint: 5 Super Bowl wins and 34 playoff wins, which is tied for most all-time.

But keep pretending we're some bottom-feeding laughingstock if it makes you feel better. One season removed from 12-4 and a playoff win.

Your observation would carry more weight if the organization was structured the same today as it was when we won 3 SBs.

I will caveat what I'm about to say with the following: when discussing success....I am talking about ON the field. The fact that we have not made a deep playoff run SINCE Jimmy left the building...gives all Cowboys fans (that are paying attention) every right to believe that the organizational structure in place...is amongst the least successful in the NFL.

Nav22

Reaction score
Your observation would carry more weight if the organization was structured the same today as it was when we won 3 SBs.

I will caveat what I'm about to say with the following: when discussing success....I am talking about ON the field. The fact that we have not made a deep playoff run SINCE Jimmy left the building...gives all Cowboys fans (that are paying attention) every right to believe that the organizational structure in place...is amongst the least successful in the NFL.

Except we made an NFC Championship appearance the year after Jimmy left the building. Then a Super Bowl title the following year. And an NFC Championship appearance last year if not for a blown call.