We made the Dallas News and Bleacher Report...

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I guess I struggle to understand how a 4-12 campaign followed by a somewhat indifferent approach to start free agency wouldn't naturally elicit negative feelings/comments.

It's not that it's unusual for our particular situation elicits negative feelings/comments. NO ONE feels good about 4-12. No one. The fact is, that there was no one in FA that was going to "turn this thing around". Unless you're a proponent of paying someone more guaranteed money than JJ Watt for 7.5 sacks. Jenkins? Never even sniffed Pro Bowl level of play. If it's an indifferent approach to FA to avoid that train wreck, so be it.

The point missed has already been referenced. Post what you feel. But, littering the forum and derailing threads with the same boring bull**** that you've been posting ad nauseam (not you specifically) for the past umpteen months is and should be discouraged. Hell, I'm all for debate (I thin most posters are). I learn more in that environment. Nobody learns or gets anything out of "Garrett sucks" from the same poster literally over 500 times. Nobody.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's not that it's unusual for our particular situation elicits negative feelings/comments. NO ONE feels good about 4-12. No one. The fact is, that there was no one in FA that was going to "turn this thing around". Unless you're a proponent of paying someone more guaranteed money than JJ Watt for 7.5 sacks. Jenkins? Never even sniffed Pro Bowl level of play. If it's an indifferent approach to FA to avoid that train wreck, so be it.

The point missed has already been referenced. Post what you feel. But, littering the forum and derailing threads with the same boring bull**** that you've been posting ad nauseam (not you specifically) for the past umpteen months is and should be discouraged. Hell, I'm all for debate (I thin most posters are). I learn more in that environment. Nobody learns or gets anything out of "Garrett sucks" from the same poster literally over 500 times. Nobody.

I dont disagree with anything you wrote here, its a vicious Circle at times to the point that those complaining about "whiners" actually whine more than those they are targeting lol

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I dont disagree with anything you wrote here, its a vicious Circle at times to the point that those complaining about "whiners" actually whine more than those they are targeting lol

That's fair enough. And, I've been guilty as charged, tbh. Sometimes you just get sick of bull**** seeping into your boots, I guess.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Yikes. Not a good look.

The problem with the overt censorship and threats of benching (and actual benching), as I see it (I'm a First Amendment lawyer) is that it creates what are called "chilling effects" in the first amendment lexicon. In an open debate, you don't want people "pulling punches" so to speak. But that I believe is exactly what happens routinely in situations where people believe they can be punished for speech, whether that happens in the universities, or on Cowboys' message boards. The solution, as I see it, is something Justice Brandeis said in his concurring opinion in Whitney v. California: “If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence [emphasis added].”

Heavens knows we have the time to expose the fallacies through more speech here. That would be my suggested approach.

Although, I generally dislike realists' (or crybabies') attitude about being a fan I totally agree with this post.

Very smart observation and I think you're correct.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The thing that cracks me up is how silent that group is when we have any measure of success. You won't hear a peep from 90% of those people when we are on a win streak. Without losing they have absolutely no reason to post.

Who in the hell likes to be 4-12? No one. It doesn't take a homer or a realist to hate that situation.

If I....were King, of the Mountain. Not Duke, not Earl...but King:

wizard-oz-stills-33388.jpg

The Cowboys are still my team! I bite my tongue when things might just lead to purely insulting their dignity. They still put all on the line, each and every game...and I'm NO ring taper for vanity.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It's a **** hole. Visited once, took a shower and some antibiotics. BBgun (if you remember him) is a mod there. Tells you all you need to know. A couple of the "all stars" here are members, also. I'll let you guess who they are.

There is no other site in all sports that compares.
I come here every day for Cowboys and discussions.

The only thing they 'censor' is vulgarity, politics and spam.

Even personal arguments can go on for pages before a moderator steps in.
That article is a pretty silly. They didn't interview anyone or even find out we have a "RantZone"

CCBoy

Reaction score
The constant criticism from some of you takes away the enjoyment of visiting the board. Just think little kids nonstop whining.

Think Irving is a plus this season? I'm going to enjoy training camp, with a complete list of additions...we're going to have a growing and youthful team. There should be an abundance of 'hard knocks.' For sure.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Think Irving is a plus this season? I'm going to enjoy training camp, with a complete list of additions...we're going to have a growing and youthful team. There should be an abundance of 'hard knocks.' For sure.

He showed some flashes last year so definitely looking forward to seeing more. Yep, young and hungry. Can't wait for the draft.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
I look forward to this thread being merged, moved and deleted. If a tree falls in the woods... .

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The comments.. lol

And poor Floaty, I almost chuckled at his angst.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The constant criticism from some of you takes away the enjoyment of visiting the board. Just think little kids nonstop whining.

You're one of the biggest whiners on this board all you do is complain about candid, honest opinions. What do you expect from fans after a 4-12 season excitement and optimism? It's not the fans that take away from the enjoyment of visiting the board it's the Cowboys performances that take away from the enjoyment because how they play affects the mood of the fans who come here. The threads and posts are a reflection of how the team is playing. The fanbase is frustrated and rightfully so it's not just this Cowboy board that reflects the fans frustration. You've started threads whining calling out what you perceive to be haters. The Cowboys haven't gotten past the second round of the playoffs in 20 years and only have 3 playoff wins during that period.

After a 12-4 season that had many optimistic that the team had finally turned the corner they followed it up with their worst season in 26 years so if you expect to log in to a mass celebration good luck! You expect everyone to spin positives with every negative like you do. Every time the team loses a key player or suffers through a miserable season you always come up with a silver lining and claim it's a blessing in disguise. If you want to see nonstop whining click on the call out threads you've started. LOL

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/haters-and-losers-in-control.338810/

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/cowboy-fans-are-some-of-the-worst.337659/

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/time-for-the-romo-haters-to-admit-they-were-wrong.330973/

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/ever-wonder-why-some-some-fans.291571/

texbumthelife

Reaction score
As a professional writer/journalist stories like this really make me cringe. The fans thoughts and reactions are rarely if ever newsworthy, by nature. Lazy journalism at its finest.

Craig

Reaction score
I like to think im in the middle, but id much rather be a homer that thinks everything is great than someone who spends time switching from rooting for the team to play poorly to begrudgingly going silent when theyre playing well.

Dodger12

Reaction score
The thing that cracks me up is how silent that group is when we have any measure of success. You won't hear a peep from 90% of those people when we are on a win streak. Without losing they have absolutely no reason to post.

You couldn't be more wrong. Folks gave props to JJ for the off-season and some solid play from FA's that led to 12 and 4 and a playoff win. No one disappeared, until last season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obviously, its not a First Amendment issue (there is no state action on this forum). No one is saying rights have been violated. What has been said is that if your goal is to foster open debate, censorship or the threat of censorship is not the best policy, more speech is.

Let me use your analogy. The point of the Brandeis approach--more speech not enforced silence--is that it is actually more effective in getting rid of the weeds, than the censorship approach. Under that approach, the more favored speech exposes the fallacies of the disfavored speech. There is no need to cultivate anything; it happens organically. As Milton put it in the Areopagitca:

Your fear of the organic approach, I suspect, is that you believe that the speech you favor will simply lose out in the course of the debate; that your favored speech will be the one exposed as the fallacy. Its that, or you simply don't believe in the principals behind free speech and self-governance. That's fine. You are not alone. Many have always felt the need to put their finger on the scales of debate, or as you put it, cultivate the perfect garden.

I don't need a perfect garden. I just want one that doesn't suck to visit.