We need a Spencer replacement...now

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Spencer is killing us, in more ways than one. The cap hit, the one year deal, his play. Do we really think he will be here next year? I'm guessing the answer is no. Guess what. Butler is a free agent next year as well. He could also be gone.

That leaves us with no one on the otherside of Ware. And the two OLBs in a 3-4 are suppose to be your studs.

The free agent crop for next year doesn't look to promising either.

I think its almost a must we get an OLB early, and I'm thinking in the first. And one later as well.

I was totally on board with Cox if he fell to us. Love the guy. But the more I think about it, the bigger need really is OLB.

Mercilus or Branch. Both would play sparingly as they would most likely sit behind Spencer.

Based on SDogo's GM Draft heres what I wouuld have done:

Took the Cinci trade and the Browns trade giving us (22) (53) (100) (118)

1 Whitney Mercilus 34OLB
2a Kendall Reyes 34DE
2b Josh Robinson CB
3 Vinny Curry 34OLB
4a Orson Charles TE
4b Trenton Robinson FS
4c David Molk C
4d Chase Minnifield CB
5 T.Y. Hilton WR
6 Ishma'ily Kitchen NT
7 Patrick Witt QB

cowboysooner

Reaction score
BlindFaith;4501886 said:
Spencer is killing us, in more ways than one. The cap hit, the one year deal, his play. Do we really think he will be here next year? I'm guessing the answer is no. Guess what. Butler is a free agent next year as well. He could also be gone.

That leaves us with no one on the otherside of Ware. And the two OLBs in a 3-4 are suppose to be your studs.

I think its almost a must we get an OLB early, and I'm thinking in the first. And one later as well.

I was totally on board with Cox if he fell to us. Love the guy. But the more I think about it, the bigger need really is OLB.

Mercilus or Branch. Both would play sparingly as they would most likely sit behind Spencer.

1 Whitney Mercilus 34OLB
2a Kendall Reyes 34DE
2b Josh Robinson CB
3 Vinny Curry 34OLB
4a Orson Charles TE
4b Trenton Robinson FS
4c David Molk C
4d Chase Minnifield CB
5 T.Y. Hilton WR
6 Ishma'ily Kitchen NT
7 Patrick Witt QB

I'd package some of the 4th's to move up to the 3rd but yes, that would be a good sensible draft that met our needs. I don't think Vinnie and Orson get to those spots but again I think this builds a better team.

RS12

Reaction score
OK, I'll play along and I'm not a big Spencer fan, who is the guy that is a cant miss replacement in the draft?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BlindFaith;4501886 said:

1 Whitney Mercilus 34OLB
2a Kendall Reyes 34DE
2b Josh Robinson CB
3 Vinny Curry 34OLB
4a Orson Charles TE
4b Trenton Robinson FS
4c David Molk C
4d Chase Minnifield CB
5 T.Y. Hilton WR
6 Ishma'ily Kitchen NT
7 Patrick Witt QB

I think our best bet is a development guy like Bruce Irvin or Shea Mclellin.

1st round we need to get Fletcher Cox and maybe Barron as a distant 2nd.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
It would require some trading down and/or up but Shea McClellan would an interesting alternative.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
RS12;4501899 said:
OK, I'll play along and I'm not a big Spencer fan, who is the guy that is a cant miss replacement in the draft?

I think Mercilus or Branch would fill his shoes easily come 2013.

And either of them could be had with a trade down giving us extra picks.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;4501909 said:
It would require some trading down and/or up but Shea McClellan would an interesting alternative.

I agree, same general area as Branch.

Branch and McClellan are getting a bit over looked I think, but have real talent.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
CATCH17;4501903 said:

Like I said, I really like, huhmmm, Cox, but I think the bigger need now and long term is OLB.

Plus we've heard that Jerry seems to like the way the D line played. Not a ringing endorsement, but still a sense they may not look that way.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
CATCH17;4501903 said:

Agreed that Irvin is a development guy and we've already got Butler. The two of them together still necessitate paying Spencer. Between McClellan and Butler, you can probably let Spencer walk this year.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;4501924 said:
Agreed that Irvin is a development guy and we've already got Butler. The two of them together still necessitate paying Spencer. Between McClellan and Butler, you can probably let Spencer walk this year.

I don't think Spencer is going anywhere this year, not unless we draft a couple studs and they show they are ready. But we would not be hand cuffed again next year. We just let Spencer walk.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
CATCH17;4501903 said:

I agree with this. This draft doesn't have a ware, miller, aldon Smith, Suggs type player. Sorry but its true. Saying draft a guy in the 1st to replace Spencer is easy but to reach on a player isn't the answer. Mayock and others have said that Mercilus isn't even better than Spencer was when Spencer same out in the draft.

I would rather skip OLB this year and wait till next year and maybe get a dominate player. Next years draft looks alot better for 3-4 OLBs than this year does.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
None of the people mentioned in this thread would be a better option in Week 1. And it's doubtful any of them will be much more productive than Spencer, if at all, throughout their careers. Mercilus has probably the best chance and I'm not sure he's worth a #14 pick.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
theogt;4501951 said:
None of the people mentioned in this thread would be a better option in Week 1. And it's doubtful any of them will be much more productive than Spencer, if at all, throughout their careers. Mercilus has probably the best chance and I'm not sure he's worth a #14 pick.

/ Thread

Keyword being doubtful.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BlindFaith;4501915 said:
Like I said, I really like, huhmmm, Cox, but I think the bigger need now and long term is OLB.

Plus we've heard that Jerry seems to like the way the D line played. Not a ringing endorsement, but still a sense they may not look that way.

The Cowboys always try to copy the trends in the league and I think thats a good thing. They have to look no further than the Giants to see that front 7 DL and passing options are the way to go right now.

Cox and a interior OL / OLB / or a TE like Fleener would be a great start for us in the 1st 2 rounds.

RS12

Reaction score
BlindFaith;4501910 said:
I think Mercilus or Branch would fill his shoes easily come 2013.

And either of them could be had with a trade down giving us extra picks.

These guys are intriguing, not cant miss. For the record I like McClellin alot. I see some Clay Matthews in his game. I think Cox would be the most help but he'll be gone by 14.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'm always surprised at how much angst Spencer causes. Is he a great, transcendent player? No. Is he a complete scrub who costs us games? No.

He's a good, solid player who only gets so much talk because he was a first rounder. And not a top-5 or top-10 pick, but a #26 overall, closer to a second rounder than to a high first.

RS12

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4501970 said:
I'm always surprised at how much angst Spencer causes. Is he a great, transcendent player? No. Is he a complete scrub who costs us games? No.

He's a good, solid player who only gets so much talk because he was a first rounder. And not a top-5 or top-10 pick, but a #26 overall, closer to a second rounder than to a high first.

He causes angst because second half of 2009 shows what he could and should be, but never will. During that stretch of games he was as a dominant in stretches as any player I have seen. What a tease.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
CATCH17;4501964 said:
The Cowboys always try to copy the trends in the league and I think thats a good thing. They have to look no further than the Giants to see that front 7 DL and passing options are the way to go right now.

Cox and a interior OL / OLB / or a TE like Fleener would be a great start for us in the 1st 2 rounds.

Cox won't be there at 14. So then who? Brockers?

That's why I think a trade down is our best bet, and then pick up the best OLB available.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BlindFaith;4501989 said:
Cox won't be there at 14. So then who? Brockers?

That's why I think a trade down is our best bet, and then pick up the best OLB available.

If Cox is gone then you gotta go Barron, Decastro, or trade down.

Brockers offers nothing when it comes to putting pressure on the QB. No need for Spears part 2.