We need a Spencer replacement...now

BlindFaith

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4501941 said:
I agree with this. This draft doesn't have a ware, miller, aldon Smith, Suggs type player. Sorry but its true. Saying draft a guy in the 1st to replace Spencer is easy but to reach on a player isn't the answer. Mayock and others have said that Mercilus isn't even better than Spencer was when Spencer same out in the draft.

I would rather skip OLB this year and wait till next year and maybe get a dominate player. Next years draft looks alot better for 3-4 OLBs than this year does.

The problem with Spencer isn't his talent, its his head and his desire.

I'd rather have a guy who gave it his all, all the time, with a little less talent, then a talented guy who only played when he wants to.

This will lead to Spencer being gone next year. So you want to go into next off season with HAVING to draft an OLB? Again, Butler is a free agent as well. Do you pay him to stick around?

I think Mercilus, Branch and McClellin would be an upgrade for 2013. Smaller contract, all have great motors, all very good athletes.

Would they upgrade us this year? In spot duty, situational stuff early on. Maybe moreso later in the season.

But what they do offer us is flexibility for next year. As much as we want to build the best team for this year, we do have to keep an eye on the future.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
CATCH17;4501992 said:
If Cox is gone then you gotta go Barron, Decastro, or trade down.

Brockers offers nothing when it comes to putting pressure on the QB. No need for Spears part 2.

I agree. That's why I'm hoping for the trade down. I wouldn't be against getting Barron if we slide down to the early 20's. And that's a great spot for getting an OLB.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4501970 said:
I'm always surprised at how much angst Spencer causes. Is he a great, transcendent player? No. Is he a complete scrub who costs us games? No.

He's a good, solid player who only gets so much talk because he was a first rounder. And not a top-5 or top-10 pick, but a #26 overall, closer to a second rounder than to a high first.

For me its not about talent. I think the guy is talented. I just think he isn't into it, not game in game out. He admitted to quitting on Wade. He disappears during games.

I just don't want him on this team any more.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
BlindFaith;4502001 said:
The problem with Spencer isn't his talent, its his head and his desire.

I'd rather have a guy who gave it his all, all the time, with a little less talent, then a talented guy who only played when he wants to.

This will lead to Spencer being gone next year. So you want to go into next off season with HAVING to draft an OLB? Again, Butler is a free agent as well. Do you pay him to stick around?

I think Mercilus, Branch and McClellin would be an upgrade for 2013. Smaller contract, all have great motors, all very good athletes.

Would they upgrade us this year? In spot duty, situational stuff early on. Maybe moreso later in the season.

But what they do offer us is flexibility for next year. As much as we want to build the best team for this year, we do have to keep an eye on the future.

Ok but Mercilus, Branch, and McClellin are players I like but also could bust and aren't for sure players and non can take over for Spencer day one. I don't see the sense in passing on better players that can help on other positions and help this team for aplayer thats not going to be able to play many downs over Spencer.

I would rather wait till next year where the 3-4 OLBs look alot better than they do this year. Jarvis Jones is a player I want next year. started this year and is all sec in a 3-4 defense at SOLB. He will again be a beast next year. If we can get a DE, Safety and CB then next year I will be all for trading up for Jarvis Jones if I have to.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
There is a guy every year that starts rocketing up boards and SOME mock draft a week or 10 days before the draft. Last year it was Aldon Smith and to a lesser extent Watt. The year before it was Alualu and nobody knew who was going to risk a pick on JPP. This year Mercilus is my pick to skyrocket some boards. Last week I saw him being taken either by Chicago at 19 or between 27-31. That guy is going way before that.

rocboy22

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4502014 said:
There is a guy every year that starts rocketing up boards and SOME mock draft a week or 10 days before the draft. Last year it was Aldon Smith and to a lesser extent Watt. The year before it was Alualu and nobody knew who was going to risk a pick on JPP. This year Mercilus is my pick to skyrocket some boards. Last week I saw him being taken either by Chicago at 19 or between 27-31. That guy is going way before that.

Good chance of that happening. Mercilus does have a pretty merciless pash rush

BlindFaith

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4502012 said:
Ok but Mercilus, Branch, and McClellin are players I like but also could bust and aren't for sure players and non can take over for Spencer day one. I don't see the sense in passing on better players that can help on other positions and help this team for aplayer thats not going to be able to play many downs over Spencer.

I would rather wait till next year where the 3-4 OLBs look alot better than they do this year. Jarvis Jones is a player I want next year. started this year and is all sec in a 3-4 defense at SOLB. He will again be a beast next year. If we can get a DE, Safety and CB then next year I will be all for trading up for Jarvis Jones if I have to.

Cox would be my first choice. Easily. But he wont be there at 14. Coples is sliding, do you take a chance on him at 14? Those are the only two DEs I'd consider if I stayed put.

Thats why I'd trade down. Gives us extra picks and puts us in a position to draft a need. Mercilus, Barron, Branch.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
I believe most people would agree that we need a replacement for Spencer. I think Jerry franchised him because there was not a lot of replacements out there in free agency and the draft is looking kind of thin at the position.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
BlindFaith;4502022 said:
Cox would be my first choice. Easily. But he wont be there at 14. Coples is sliding, do you take a chance on him at 14? Those are the only two DEs I'd consider if I stayed put.

Thats why I'd trade down. Gives us extra picks and puts us in a position to draft a need. Mercilus, Barron, Branch.

No on Coples, I don't see him as a 3-4 DE.
Cox isn't there then look at Barron and Gilmore. If they aren't there then trade back.
No reason to focus on one position only at 14

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BlindFaith;4501912 said:
I agree, same general area as Branch.

Branch and McClellan are getting a bit over looked I think, but have real talent.

I think McClellin will be ready much earlier to play 3-4 SOLB than Mercilus or any of the other prospects in this draft. Some of the others might have higher upsides.

In addition to playing DE, McClellin lined up as a middle LB and outside LB. He looks comfortable in coverage and Boise St. players appear to be very well coached.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
BlindFaith;4502007 said:
I just think he isn't into it, not game in game out. He admitted to quitting on Wade. He disappears during games. I just don't want him on this team any more.

It's time for another round of The Message Board Telephone Game!!

"He admitted to quitting on Wade."

Oh really? Please explain.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think SOLB is an urgent need. We're pretty clearly going to go through the draft to see where the value is, and we'll probably pickup someone along the way to develop there. If a real talent falls into our laps, we'll take him. If not, we'll start working on a long-term deal with Spencer after the draft and/or prepare to address the position in FA or the draft next season.

We could do a lot worse than resigning Anthony Spencer to a second contract, anyway.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
These Spencer threads always go the same.

Someone comes and *****es about Spencer being a JAG. It is pointed out that he is actually pretty good, just not elite.
Then they complain about pressure. It is pointed out that the team gets good pressure and Spencer is above average at pressure.
Then they complain we should draft his replacement. It is pointed out that there is no one in the draft who would be better.
Then they complain that he admitted to quitting on the team. It is pointed out that is not accurate.
Then they compain about his cost. It is pointed out that if you want to get better at that position, it will cost more money.
And on, and on...

Having seen this recur, it seems to me that the most strident people who demand Spencer to be gone all have the same motivation. What it comes down to is always this: these people are pissed off that he hasn't met their unrealistic dreams expectation when we drafted him that we would have some never-before-seen super-elite bookend Wares. And they are butthurt that didn't happen and just want him gone because he should pay for not living up to their dreams and expectations.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BlindFaith;4501886 said:
Spencer is killing us, in more ways than one. The cap hit, the one year deal, his play. Do we really think he will be here next year? I'm guessing the answer is no. Guess what. Butler is a free agent next year as well. He could also be gone.

That leaves us with no one on the otherside of Ware. And the two OLBs in a 3-4 are suppose to be your studs.

The free agent crop for next year doesn't look to promising either.

I think its almost a must we get an OLB early, and I'm thinking in the first. And one later as well.

I was totally on board with Cox if he fell to us. Love the guy. But the more I think about it, the bigger need really is OLB.

Mercilus or Branch. Both would play sparingly as they would most likely sit behind Spencer.

Based on SDogo's GM Draft heres what I wouuld have done:

Took the Cinci trade and the Browns trade giving us (22) (53) (100) (118)

1 Whitney Mercilus 34OLB
2a Kendall Reyes 34DE
2b Josh Robinson CB
3 Vinny Curry 34OLB
4a Orson Charles TE
4b Trenton Robinson FS
4c David Molk C
4d Chase Minnifield CB
5 T.Y. Hilton WR
6 Ishma'ily Kitchen NT
7 Patrick Witt QB

I really like your draft. Taking 2 OLBs is a good idea, IMO.

Although I prefer McClellin and Irvin, I do think Mercilus will be a good player. I like him much better at #22 than at #14.

Reyes is very similiar to Cox, IMO. Reyes might be better for the 2-gap base that RR uses.

Josh Robinson made a lot of plays in college and might be the best pure athlete in the draft.

Vinny Curry is a good player to get in the 3rd.

Your 4th is very good with the exception that I would much, much prefer Philip Blake over Molk.

Hilton would be excellent value if he is available in the 5th.

I see your 6th and 7th round picks as likely to be available as UDFAs, but it's hard to complain about late round picks.

rocboy22

Reaction score
cobra;4502088 said:

Someone comes and *****es about Spencer being a JAG. It is pointed out that he is actually pretty good, just not elite.
Then they complain about pressure. It is pointed out that the team gets good pressure and Spencer is above average at pressure.
Then they complain we should draft his replacement. It is pointed out that there is no one in the draft who would be better.
Then they complain that he admitted to quitting on the team. It is pointed out that is not accurate.
Then they compain about his cost. It is pointed out that if you want to get better at that position, it will cost more money.
And on, and on...

Having seen this recur, it seems to me that the most strident people who demand Spencer to be gone all have the same motivation. What it comes down to is always this: these people are pissed off that he hasn't met their unrealistic dreams expectation when we drafted him that we would have some never-before-seen super-elite bookend Wares. And they are butthurt that didn't happen and just want him gone because he should pay for not living up to their dreams and expectations.[/quote]

expect for the Ware bookend part, this same exact thing could be said about how many view Romo

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
rocboy22;4502101 said:
cobra;4502088 said:

And on, and on...

Having seen this recur, it seems to me that the most strident people who demand Spencer to be gone all have the same motivation. What it comes down to is always this: these people are pissed off that he hasn't met their unrealistic dreams expectation when we drafted him that we would have some never-before-seen super-elite bookend Wares. And they are butthurt that didn't happen and just want him gone because he should pay for not living up to their dreams and expectations.

expect for the Ware bookend part, this same exact thing could be said about how many view Romo

I actually agree with you except for this statement:

"Then they compain about his cost. It is pointed out that if you want to get better at that position, it will cost more money."

If you hit on a draft pick this year, then it will not cost more money to get better at the position.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4501970 said:
I'm always surprised at how much angst Spencer causes. Is he a great, transcendent player? No. Is he a complete scrub who costs us games? No.

He's a good, solid player who only gets so much talk because he was a first rounder. And not a top-5 or top-10 pick, but a #26 overall, closer to a second rounder than to a high first.
I am not overly angst-y about Spencer. He's not bad. However, I don't think he's worth the 9 mil and I would rather not re-sign him to a long term deal if there are alternatives. McClellan is one of the few guys I would take a chance on, assuming a reasonable trade down. Going with McClellan/Butler would in fact be a risk but it's worth considering given the almost 9 mil it would net in cap room.

rocboy22

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;4502123 said:
I am not overly angst-y about Spencer. He's not bad. However, I don't think he's worth the 9 mil and I would rather not re-sign him to a long term deal if there are alternatives. McClellan is one of the few guys I would take a chance on, assuming a reasonable trade down. Going with McClellan/Butler would in fact be a risk but it's worth considering given the almost 9 mil it would net in cap room.

the thing is, if anthony signs his tender, he is guaranteed that 9 mil. even if we decide to cut him after that, he gets the 9 mil. I believe that still counts on our cap for this year, too, but I could be wrong. If so, someone correct me.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
xwalker;4502113 said:
If you hit on a draft pick this year, then it will not cost more money to get better at the position.

I said "if you want to improve" it will cost you more. And it will do so in two ways. One, it would cost more signing a better player (e.g., signing Mario Williams as was discussed in FA), though there is always the risk that the FA doesn't pan out. Second, it will likely cost you more drafting someone and that involves even more risk. Sure "if" you hit on a draft pick then you are golden. But that is a roll of the dice. You theoretically could hit on a UDFA that is better than Ware and save you money by cutting Ware. But as a team, you have to go on probabilities and not possibilities. And the probability is that the individuals available in the draft are unlikely to be better than Spencer and a distinct possibility they are worse. But even assuming they were as good as Spencer and saved you money there, by drafting that player, you aren't using the #14 pick on a different position. And if you want to improve that different position, you cannot now use that #14 pick and have to look at FA and spending money to improve that position.

So by replacing Spencer, you assume risk of getting worse and likely do not save any real cost (both in absolute dollars and opportunity costs).

As an aside: I certainly would be willing to improve on Spencer if the opportunity presents itself. I don't quarrel with the idea that it is possible to improve there or that it would be nice to do so. I just happen to not see a reasonable option to do so (and I can get behind the argument that Shea McClellin would be worth looking at in round 2 depending on what is available). But what I do quarrel with is the idea that "he must go" or that it would be easy to replace him without negatively impacting the team. That is simply not the case.