We need to rest Ezekiel Elliott, entire OL, Dak, and Dez

Cmac

Reaction score
....we have to play somebody. Let's just not get too cute. Save the secret sauce.

NickZepp

Reaction score
I don't remember Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, Jay Novacek, Nate Newton or Erik Williams resting during the super bowl runs in the 90's
1992, 1995, 1996, 1998 most starters sat some time. 1996 most of em sat all game.

NickZepp

Reaction score
1996 and 1998 aren't real good arguments in favor of sitting , when looking at final results......both first round losses
I agree. But I say sit em if there is a 2 or 3 TD lead. I can see sitting Dak and Zeke and Dez against Philly.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hate to tell you this, but this could happen in practice, too. Ask Teddy Bridgewater.
Yep. To expand on your comment a bit more, injuries can happen moments after rested players enter their first game back from any layoff because... well... it's football. Injuries can happen at any time to any player.

This topic resonates with fans of any sport every year. The imagined goal is minimizing the potential of injury to key players. Unfortunately, it takes only an instant for an unexpected occurrence to hamper or sideline a player. Heck, starters perform generally while dealing with pre-existing injuries all season long. It's just the nature of a contact sport--and that's especially true for football.

Injury topics prompt me to ask myself whether some people have ever played contact sports (or any highly active sport for that matter) on any true competitive level. Having done so provides opportunity to relate much better in how the topic impacts player health in the real world.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The fear of injury always kills me with fans and the "experts". Guys can get hurt in practice. Or can get hurt in the first week of the playoffs. I think momentum is far better than "resting". Cowboy fans should know that better than anyone being when we did rest we got ousted in the 1st round.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
they aren't sitting 4 weeks though. Practices and weekly preparation is just as important as the games...the intensity of the week preparation should not change. Yes, they should get some live reps in, but they shouldn't be in the whole game.

practice is important it is not near the same as game. Det I expect they will play it as a normal game. 2nd half of the philly game would not be surprised if some starters come out.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is s a young team with momentum they don't need rest as much as they need to remain focused and sharp. they should play all the way to the second half of the philly game then rest all of them except the O-line. Jimmy made the point this morning about what occurred in 2007 under wade

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree they stunk, but that has more to do with them being figured out. Offensive issues in the passing game carried over into the other years when Garrett took full control. It wasn't just the TO high ankle sprain, which also set them back.

Remember, we always failed in December when Garrett was in control of the offense. Every last game when the playoffs were in the line against NFC East opponent, we lost.. the Giants, Eagles and Commanders.. and much of that was because we couldn't pick up a blitz

Romo was primarily in that hand, because of the team trying to get the passing record. They didn't even wait the full half they were getting blasted so bad.

It had nothing to do with being figured out, Romo was slumping and it carried over to the playoffs in 07. If offensive issues in the passing game carried over to previous years Romo wouldn't have put up the numbers he did along with the efficient passer ratings. We had good offenses through the years it's been mostly the defense that's held us back. The defense was a problem against the Giants in the playoffs in 07, not being able to get the Giants off the field on 3rd down. The failures in Dec had to do with Romo's game slumping from 06 to 08. He had amazing Novembers and bad Decembers, that was on him not Garrett and the system.

It was hard for Romo to turn things around once his game started to sputter. He didn't have the running game and too much was put on his shoulders and he would begin to cave. We decided to turn to the running game against the Giants in the playoffs because Romo was struggling and we feared the Giants pass rush. We tried to take pressure off of him but Barber was burned out in the first half and we had to turn to the passing game and Romo wasn't sharp. Crayton's drop and hesitated route ultimately did us in along with the defense not being able to make critical stops.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
This is all academic. JG doesn't believe in letting off the gas. There's already been enough of a momentum shift. If a guy is hurt or injured they'll sit. They'll be reasonable with Zeke. Outside of that they'll try to win.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Other teams already imagine a hurt Romo, or they would have already offered a 1 for him.

The fear isn't playing him. The fear is that he would light it up. Then, you'd have a tricky situation.

That 12-2 record won't do us any good at kickoff in the playoffs. Everybody will be 0-0. Dak and Romo need to both be ready.
I want Romo to light it up, that's a number 1 pick for us. Unfortunately, Garrett's making the call and he's going to stick with Dak for the rest of the year so I guess your dreams have become a nightmare.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
ezekiel Elliott for the next two games. Rest entire offensive line and defense. Put Sanchez in. I would only play Dez for the half and I wouldn't even study gametape of phila or Detroit now. Our entire focus should be playoffs, the pressure on us will be enormous. Thoughts?
Rotate, rest, repeat. The true rest will come in the bye.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Put Zeke on a pitch count. 10 carries per game until the playoffs.