We still need a backup qb for 2017

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
So some of you give Wentz a pass but Sanchez doesn't with 2nd and 3rd stringers? I'm not saying Sanchez is very good but with Zeke, Dez, Tyron, Leary and Witten I'm willing to say he does better then he did. Not to add a full defense and I think Sanchez can get us through a couple games. If we can upgrade then you do but I rather keep building this team.

People saying Fitzpatrick is coming themselves, he wants way too much money and I rather pay Romo the same if that's the case.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I still think Sanchez is a more than capable backup. He had a bad game with all the key starters out. I feel some have unrealistic expectations of what a backup QB is supposed to be.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Draft a QB in the late 4th round. That has worked out pretty well for us lately.

Cut Sanchez. I'm not opposed to keeping Romo around. We might go 16 and 0 next year.
How are there still people that don't get that Tony wants to start somewhere?

RS12

Reaction score
We still need a backup qb for 2017

We noticed.

Verdict

Reaction score
How are there still people that don't get that Tony wants to start somewhere?

I get that. What about it's not under his control do you not get? That's a two way street. See how that works?

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I get that. What about it's not under his control do you not get? That's a two way street. See how that works?
You can't possibly think they're really going to keep him here next season. It makes zero sense. He's worth something to another team (and thus to us in a draft pick), and out of respect for him, there is no way they don't allow him to move on.

Verdict

Reaction score
You can't possibly think they're really going to keep him here next season. It makes zero sense. He's worth something to another team (and thus to us in a draft pick), and out of respect for him, there is no way they don't allow him to move on.

I believe that we will trade Romo for significant draft pick compensation. I believe he will get us more than just a 1st in a trade.

I do not think we will just release Romo for the hell of it. If it is a choice of just cutting him or him being on the roster you can look forward to at least one more year of Romo.

Romo might also take a pay cut to stay on the roster but that is a distant 3rd tier possibility.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
There's two teams I can think of that have good QBs on the bench, us and the Patriots. Everyone else is screwed if their QB goes down. Doesn't mean it's not better to have a capable QB than not, but there's not many good QBs that are willing to sit on the bench if they are good enough to start. If Romo doesn't want to be the backup here, it's highly likely we won't have a great backup next year.

BoysWin

Reaction score
No joke, I can't imagine going into next year with Sanchez as the back up. If Romo leaves. ..then what?

What real options do we have?
FS

DAL must retain both DAK and ROMO. We are the ENVY of the NFL if we have both.

Nirvana

Reaction score
I'd prefer the $5m in cap space and the extra draft picks.

That $5m has to go partly to a back-up QB. It's a few million at best, and for the quality difference, it's worth it. The problem is Romo won't want to do it.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Sanchez was playing with a lot of backups today, but he still made some bad decisions trying to extend plays today.

When John Elway gives up on a QB, teams should take heed.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I would like the Cowboys to draft Tenn Josh Dobbs for the backup position. Hoping they can get him in the 3rd round. Similar to Dak's style. Played in the SEC. Played well in big games. Studying aeronautical engineering.