Week 2: Dak Stats vs NFL

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
yes..
Over an two game stretch to begin a career, given the number of attempts.
The record for most consecutive passes to open a career is in range...for Dak and Wentz, actually.
Dak already has the record

DFWJC

Reaction score
I cannot stress this enough but the TD to int ratio does not matter if he's leading the team down the field for a rushing TD. Does it matter if instead of a run up the middle he bootleg throws for a TD?
So 5 TDs and 20 ints is just fine compared to 20 Tds and 5 ints?
Or does it not matter only in certain specific situations?
Of course it matters. Just not as much over a small sample size.

If you aren't throwing for TDs--I'm not talking about this tiny 2 game sample size, but over the course of a season--the defense will not fear the pass nearly as much as the run and the run game will suffer.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Dak already has the record
Over a 2 game stretch only. Yes

Obviously, there a few that had no picks past 2 games but had fewer attempts. Even just this year, Wentz has 71 attempts and Dak 75 without a pick so far. But if, say, Dak throws a pick on attempt 85 and Wentz keeps going past 85 without a pick, then he passes him.
Moon had nearly 130 attempts without a pick to start his career for example. But was longer than 2 games to get there.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Dallas is only15th in scoring. That must improve and I think it will.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
So 5 TDs and 20 ints is just fine compared to 20 Tds and 5 ints?
Or does it not matter only in certain specific situations?
Of course it matters. Just not as much over a small sample size.

If you aren't throwing for TDs--I'm not talking about this tiny 2 game sample size, but over the course of a season--the defense will not fear the pass nearly as much as the run and the run game will suffer.

If he is driving down the field and supplementing the passing Tds with rushing yes it literally does not matter.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If he is driving down the field and supplementing the passing Tds with rushing yes it literally does not matter.
Let's just say that we disagree that it doesn't matter if a QB has 5 TDs and 20 ints instead of 20 TDs and 5 ints.
I'd say the difference is enormous....and you would say it doesn't matter if the run game is clicking.
I say the run game clicks even more with the former.

agree to disagree

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Let's just say that we disagree that it doesn't matter if a QB has 5 TDs and 20 ints instead of 20 TDs and 5 ints.
I'd say the difference is enormous....and you would say it doesn't matter if the run game is clicking.

agree to disagree

Okay that's not even what I said I don't know where you pulled 20 interceptions from but that's not even part of the argument. Dak did not throw a TD this week but still led them to 27 points without a turnover. So who cares if he throws them or not?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Okay that's not even what I said I don't know where you pulled 20 interceptions from but that's not even part of the argument. Dak did not throw a TD this week but still led them to 27 points without a turnover. So who cares if he throws them or not?
I pulled it directly from my post

And I was talking about full season
also agreed to disagree...no big deal

As long as Dallas wins I'm happy...via ground or air.
We just disagree on TD/INT ratio being important. I say long term it is.

Craig

Reaction score

agree to disagree
What?

DFWJC

Reaction score
I say the run game clicks even more with the former. correction...meant to say latter..of course

agree to disagree
fifm

DFWJC

Reaction score
Last guy to go that many throws as a rookie without one was Warren Moon and he had already played five years of pro football in Canada
Dak has 75 without a pick and Wentz has 71. Should be an interesting week three to see if either get's one.
Not that one pick is a big deal. A QB properly pressuring the defense will end up getting one now and then.... but it's a fun, borderline, irrelevant sideshow.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
In ESPN's Total QB Rating Dak is currently 12th with a 76.3

If anyone is keeping track Wentz is currently 22nd with a 58.9
Total QBR is based on expected points added (more reward for success in more difficult situations), and Dak has been killing it on 3rd and long.

5 QB (and ties) with most attempts on 3rd and 7+

Prescott 13 of 15 149 yd 0 td 0 int 8 fd 108.1
Newton 8 of 12 136 yd 0 td 0 int 7 fd 104.9
Rodgers 8 of 12 152 yd 1 td 1 int 5 fd 102.8
Bortles 10 of 14 129 yd 1 td 1 int 2 fd 94.0
Gabbert 6 of 16 35 yd 1 td 0 int 3 fd 66.7
Wentz 5 of 12 58 yd 0 td 0 int 3 fd 56.9
Dalton 7 of 14 106 yd 0 td 1 int 2 fd 45.5
Luck 6 of 12 63 yd 0 td 1 int 4 fd 30.9

It must be said that Total QBR was not designed to correlate to wins, as it is purely an individual stat. For example, it will reward a 50-yard bomb more than a 10-yard dumpoff and 40-yard run after the catch, even though the team benefits equally from both plays.