CZ POLL Weekly Poll: Do you want Romo to start when healthy or stick with Dak? **ended**

Do you want Romo to start when healthy or stick with Dak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Time will tell if Dak can and will take them farther. Tell the statistical greatness line to Marino.

That's the point I made with Romo, a great statistical career will only get a QB so far. Dan Fouts had a great statistical career and never played in a SB and so did Warren Moon and the list goes on. Romo's statistical career is well below those QBs and they're below many of his peers especially with all the games he's missed the past 2 seasons. I think Dak will get the team farther and it may happen this year if we can find a pass rush by the playoffs.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
It really wouldn't bother me seeing Tony in another uniform, at all. It means the team made the right, logical choice, and Tony gets to keep playing if he so desires. It's a win-win.

I am just not sold it would be the best or logical decision at this point. Don't get me wrong, Dak has been amazing, more than we could have expected or hoped for at this point, but at the same time, we have seen it before. RG3 was going to change the way the NFL played the QB position etc. I know Dak is different and all that. Just it's stuck in the back of my head, what if he turns out to be a 1 year wonder and we gave up one of the best QB in the game so he could play. I know its a long shot and I am just being overly protective of Romo, I get it. But its the fear I have at the moment on cutting Romo loose.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
As much as I HATE the idea of Tony in a different uniform, I agree with this. If Tony doesn't get his job back this year, you have to move him some how, some way. I am one of the last hold outs wanting Tony to get back in there. But I also realize what Dak is doing and as a fan, I am very happy about it.

People who think Dak is ready to be a full time NFL starter now, nothing more to learn, I could see them having this view.

I'm not 1 of them. Romo needs to stay right here and mentor this kid still learning to run an NFL pro style offense. He still needs LOTS of coaching. Too many fans are letting the success go to their heads, think Dak doesn't need much more coaching up.

In fact, for much of some of the recent games, he's demonstrated he still has PLENTY of stuff he needs to be working on. He's still not seeing the field very well and missing wide open receivers as well as showing poor passing mechanics under pressure, which lead some errant throws last night, including several to a wide open Dez Bryant.

He's a work in progress. Let the work progress. If Romo never gets the job back, keep him around at reduced salary to be the back up and mentor Dak until he's fully ready.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea...that too. This team doesn't have a QB problem...just the opposite, in fact. Personally, I'm thrilled with our QB situation!
This. The team handled Romo's absence beautifully. Prescott has excelled well-beyond any perceived rookie expectation and made Weeden's and Cassel's contributions from last season look like trash by comparison. He's literally taken the NFL by storm and still hasn't tapped his full potential. The offensive line has dominated and stepped up its game from last year as well despite losing Collins. The WR corps has played well and improved from committing a few costly errors demonstrated in the Giants game.Elliott? There are no words to describe his talent. Some people continue to nitpick Garrett and Linehan but the coaching has been solid overall. The offense as a whole has been a godsend. In truth, the offense has performed to such a degree that there was NEVER a quarterback problem, controversy, or any other falsely imagined label--just the customary melodrama from the usual annual sources.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
This. The team handled Romo's absence beautifully. Prescott has excelled well-beyond any perceived rookie expectation and made Weeden's and Cassel's contributions from last season look like trash by comparison. He's literally taken the NFL by storm and still hasn't tapped his full potential. The offensive line has dominated and stepped up its game from last year as well despite losing Collins. The WR corps has played well and improved from committing a few costly errors demonstrated in the Giants game.Elliott? There are no words to describe his talent. Some people continue to nitpick Garrett and Linehan but the coaching has been solid overall. The offense as a whole has been a godsend. In truth, the offense has performed to such a degree that there was NEVER a quarterback problem, controversy, or any other falsely imagined label--just the customary melodrama from the usual annual sources.
Amen!

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
That's the point I made with Romo, a great statistical career will only get a QB so far. Dan Fouts had a great statistical career and never played in a SB and so did Warren Moon and the list goes on. Romo's statistical career is well below those QBs and they're below many of his peers especially with all the games he's missed the past 2 seasons. I think Dak will get the team farther and it may happen this year if we can find a pass rush by the playoffs.
Well below Moon and Fouts?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People who think Dak is ready to be a full time NFL starter now, nothing more to learn, I could see them having this view.

I'm not 1 of them. Romo needs to stay right here and mentor this kid still learning to run an NFL pro style offense. He still needs LOTS of coaching. Too many fans are letting the success go to their heads, think Dak doesn't need much more coaching up.

In fact, for much of some of the recent games, he's demonstrated he still has PLENTY of stuff he needs to be working on. He's still not seeing the field very well and missing wide open receivers as well as showing poor passing mechanics under pressure, which lead some errant throws last night, including several to a wide open Dez Bryant.

He's a work in progress. Let the work progress. If Romo never gets the job back, keep him around at reduced salary to be the back up and mentor Dak until he's fully ready.
I think Romo may not agree to those conditions. The media should stop asking Romo about Prescott and start asking him where does he expect his career to go from here if it's not the starting QB job in Big D.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score

Nobody thinks Dak is a finished product. Dak starts until further notice and if some crazy way they win the SB, Romo will be traded.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think Romo may not agree to those conditions. The media should stop asking Romo about Prescott and start asking him where does he expect his career to go from here if it's not the starting QB job in Big D.
He won't answer those questions just like he won't answer the others.
Just wants to work hard, help Dak, and stay out of the media.

The best service he can do is be fully ready if he's needed.
Sure hope it never happens, but like every QB that ever played, even Dak is just one play away from missing a few games or a season.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Nobody thinks Dak is a finished product. Dak starts until further notice and if some crazy way they win the SB, Romo will be traded.
I highly doubt winning the SB or not has any bearing on whether or not Tony gets traded. lol

GIFTS86

Reaction score
I highly doubt winning the SB or not has any bearing on whether or not Tony gets traded. lol
If dak wins a SB which is really crazy to just think about Romo will be gone. The only way romo stays in that crazy scenario if he takes a major pay cut and would be willing to be a backup. Considering his age and being what alot of people consider injury prone at this point that might be his best option.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
If dak wins a SB which is really crazy to just think about Romo will be gone. The only way romo stays in that crazy scenario if he takes a major pay cut and would be willing to be a backup. Considering his age and being what alot of people consider injury prone at this point that might be his best option.
My point was if we don't win the SB, Tony still likely isn't hear next season. Barring a total meltdown, I can't see any way Tony is still here unless he, for some reason, is OK with being a backup and likely taking an extreme pay cut.

GIFTS86

Reaction score
My point was if we don't win the SB, Tony still likely isn't hear next season. Barring a total meltdown, I can't see any way Tony is still here unless he, for some reason, is OK with being a backup and likely taking an extreme pay cut.
You said winning a SB or not. So I assumed one part of that scenario. If we lose in the playoffs it will be really interesting to see how dallas approaches the off-season.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Dak lovers crying in their beer that Dak can't beat out old man Romo for the job. Embarrassing.

He already did. Romo will never take another snap as a Cowboy. He will be on another team next season. You are clueless if you still want Mr Gimp to roll out what he did in 2015.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Have to keep starting Dak at this point, even though he's not the best QB on the team.
Can't argue with the team at 8-1.
There'd be a fan (not team) revolt if they randomly made a switch.
They won't screw with this.

He's easily the best QB on the team. Romo was not that good last year. Do you remember the last time he took a snap in a regular season game? It was this time last year and he was god awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.