Well well well. Mayer still available

Pass2Run

Reaction score
What's your point?

This kind of **** nakes the board so hostile...

Who cares?

Sydla

Reaction score
I said to a buddy last night. The lions had the best first round…… if it was 1990.

A RB and an off ball LB.
I can see taking an off the ball LB if that guy has shown potential to be a good edge guy as well. Campbell has shown little ability to be a guy that can get after the QB. Now is that scheme driven by Iowa's defense? Maybe. Parsons didn't rack up sacks at PSU but in a scheme change he clearly was a pass rushing phenom.

I mean maybe that's what the Lions see in Campbell? More than just an off the ball LB?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
i still think mayer is the best te in the group.
but i am surprised he didn't go rd1.
i'm more surprised...happily...that we just drafted a dt in rd1.
love these drafts under mccarthy.
You think that was a McCarthy pick? Lol

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Which was the whole point of not taking a bad value like Mayer in round 1.

I said he was a round 2 player getting overrated and the NFL agreed with me.

Now it’s time to deal with it.

I love that the Cowboys supposedly like Laporta more who I’ve been saying is close with Mayer if not better.

Imagine wanting a slow 1990s TE in 2023.

Heck ESPN was calling him a 1980s TE lol.
Hilaruous.

Stop pounding your chest like a monkey.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I can see taking an off the ball LB if that guy has shown potential to be a good edge guy as well. Campbell has shown little ability to be a guy that can get after the QB. Now is that scheme driven by Iowa's defense? Maybe. Parsons didn't rack up sacks at PSU but in a scheme change he clearly was a pass rushing phenom.

I mean maybe that's what the Lions see in Campbell? More than just an off the ball LB

I mean maybe that's what the Lions see in Campbell? More than just an off the ball LB?
I think they’re in for an unpleasant surprise if that’s the case.

I just think Dan Campbell has an old school mentality and believes in the front 7 being the key to a defense. In that regard I agree with him. Their defense needed playmakers and Campbell can make plays. Not necessarily as a pass rusher but getting TFL in the run game and a good coverage LB.

The RB was pretty crazy. I mean Gibbs is super talented and can score from anywhere. I wouldn’t have taken him so far. That being said. Once Jameson Williams comes back from suspension. Him plus gibbs. Their offense is going to be fast fast fast.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think they’re in for an unpleasant surprise if that’s the case.

I just think Dan Campbell has an old school mentality and believes in the front 7 being the key to a defense. In that regard I agree with him. Their defense needed playmakers and Campbell can make plays. Not necessarily as a pass rusher but getting TFL in the run game and a good coverage LB.

The RB was pretty crazy. I mean Gibbs is super talented and can score from anywhere. I wouldn’t have taken him so far. That being said. Once Jameson Williams comes back from suspension. Him plus gibbs. Their offense is going to be fast fast fast.
Gibbs was a dumb pick that’s going to make them look smart anyways because Gibbs is so good.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
What's your point?

This kind of **** nakes the board so hostile...

Who cares?
If you are asking me, one of my few pet peeves in life is people who make absolute statements about things that are not absolute and then continue to double down at the expense of others. I have always struggled with not speaking up when I see people being ridiculed or their opinions downplayed when they are not in lock step with another’s opinion. Especially when I feel those opinions are often not aligned with reality.

If you review the history of all of the threads, you will find a common theme that leads to the thread spiraling. It’s almost always someone taking an absolute position, making it personal, and then pulling out their past posts reference guide for additional ammo & insults.

I am new to the forum but I was an occasional lurker previously. I have been on a 2 month sabbatical and thought against my better judgement that I would join for 2 months for some draft chat. I already knew what the general tone of the board and thought I could bite my tongue for a few months…I was wrong.

I am obviously not posting for likes…that holds no interest for me. I am more interested in sharing opinions, learning from others, and calling out hypocrisy and the judgmental attitudes that infest this site. But that’s just me.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Just the tea leaves…they were over selling the fact they wanted a traditional inline TE to the media. I said in an earlier thread before the draft that I’m not big on “oh, it’s a smokescreen…” but it made no sense to draft a guy like Mayer high when you effectively have the same guy in Ferguson. Then, Buffalo trading up to grab Kincaid in front of us, and then at 26, we had the chance to take Mayer off the board but passed on him.

I think the interest in LaPorta is real.
LaPorta is certainly a good player, but he isn't the only one.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
If you are asking me, one of my few pet peeves in life is people who make absolute statements about things that are not absolute and then continue to double down at the expense of others. I have always struggled with not speaking up when I see people being ridiculed or their opinions downplayed when they are not in lock step with another’s opinion. Especially when I feel those opinions are often not aligned with reality.

If you review the history of all of the threads, you will find a common theme that leads to the thread spiraling. It’s almost always someone taking an absolute position, making it personal, and then pulling out their past posts reference guide for additional ammo & insults.

I am new to the forum but I was an occasional lurker previously. I have been on a 2 month sabbatical and thought against my better judgement that I would join for 2 months for some draft chat. I already knew what the general tone of the board and thought I could bite my tongue for a few months…I was wrong.

I am obviously not posting for likes…that holds no interest for me. I am more interested in sharing opinions, learning from others, and calling out hypocrisy and the judgmental attitudes that infest this site. But that’s just me.
The only ridiculing I see is someone trying to ridicule someone for liking a player.

Personally, I listen to all opinions with the idea in mind that I may be wrong, and that the other person/people may be right.

Why? Because like everyone else, I am wrong sometimes. But to come back after you had one opinion and someone else had another, just to rub it in, and point out the person is wrong, it just makes you look pathetic. Like, anyone who tries evaluating players is going to be wrong, a good percentage of time.

So I just don't see the point in this kind of childishness amongst adults sharing opinions. I'd hate to see how some of you act at work or towards people you work with.

Not talking about you, per se. Just the whole thing with people remembering that one time, that one thing you were wrong about, mostly to hide how many times they've been wrong.

That's my biggest pet peeve. People are wrong sometimes. Pointing out that someone's guess or opinion was wrong is just childish, imo, and takes the joy out of the discussion. It's not a competition.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It appears to me the anchor post in this thread - which is yours - has a timber of gloating. Well, well, well......

I'm not certain why you would take that posture. I believe you were very adamant about passing on Parsons. I also recall your angst at the pick of Tyler Smith. And last night in chat you were pretty vocal about the Mazi pick.

But on a larger scale than your position, it seems Dallas has been doing a good job drafting early lately. We can all point to the cornerback in the second they took that hasn't panned out. Kelvin Joseph. Yet looking at last year alone, they selected:

DraftHistory.com

***Tyler Smith
***Sam Williams
Jalon Tolbert
**Jake Ferguson
Matt Waletzko
***Daron Bland
***Damone Clark

*** player
**hopeful

The board erupts every year after a selection is made. Some of it is name brand. And that doesn't make sense. These guys draft pretty well. Some of it is pet cats. That shouldn't cause an earthquake.

But some of it is the fan base not trusting this team. I get that. But one area they seem to be getting closer to right is drafting.

Catch17, we've been posting together for a long, long time. That may be why I read your posts as much, if not more than others. Seems I can recall a time when we agreed a great deal. That isn't so lately. Disagreeing with you is okay. We debate, and do so civilly. Just know I am not picking on you. But dumbfounded by this post.
Yep and hes the same guy that thought Mahomes would make a bad pro QB. Didnt think Parsons could rush the passer.

If Catch17 hates a player, its almost a guarantee hes going to be a star in the NFL

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Here's the problem and it's something some of the scouts have pointed out. When you watch LaPorta play, he doesn't play like a guy with those measurables. He plays slower than he was tested. Mayer is limited athletically for sure but when you pop in tapes of the two and watch, they both look to be playing the same speed.

LaPorta at 26 would have been idiotic. 58? Now that makes more sense and a worthwhile pick. Come back with an interior OL in the 3rd and a TB in the 4th (or vice versa) and let's roll.
Watch Mayer's foot when he cuts in the dirt... it's like a WR.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I felt all along he looked like a 2nd round prospect. The lack of athleticism was a major red flag.

Glad to see he’s still available..

The cherry on top would be if the NFL take Laporta over him who probably has more upside.

So glad we passed on him. Even for a 2 down run stuffer that was a waste of a 1st rounder.
He's a Witten clone. How'd that work out?

Mayer will be one of the top 10 players tonight. There really is no difference between pick 20 and pick 40 this year. It comes down to team needs. Look no further than poor Will Levis.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
That's my biggest pet peeve. People are wrong sometimes. Pointing out that someone's guess or opinion was wrong is just childish, imo, and takes the joy out of the discussion. It's not a competition.
Then your problem is comprehension.

I have never suggested his opinion is wrong because he has never given an opinion. He is stating his opinions as “fact”. If you pay attention, the only position I have taken is to challenge whether it is truly a fact.

And thanks for the childish reference. It’s always good to feel young again.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Then your problem is comprehension.

I have never suggested his opinion is wrong because he has never given an opinion. He is stating his opinions as “fact”. If you pay attention, the only position I have taken is to challenge whether it is truly a fact.

And thanks for the childish reference. It’s always good to feel young again.
As I said, I wasn't referring to you.

I appreciate what you're saying. Just elaborating on what I"m saying...

Spottswoode

Reaction score
Well seeing as the others are agreeing with
me continue to respond.

I’d be happy to continue football economics 101 with you…free of charge!
Lol…I’m fine with that if it makes you feel better. I appreciate your willingness to teach us common folk.

And I’m not looking for agreements. I don’t base my opinions on the acknowledgement of others…I’m a big boy. Frankly after reading many of the responses, I’m not sure people even understand my point. And for people who do, they likely don’t want to get involved which is totally understandable.

People get their heels dug in and read and hear what they want to hear. That’s fine…I’m not looking for likes.