Twitter: Werder: Dak will be NFL's highest-paid player

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
In 3 years he’ll be around the 15th highest paid QB. That’s just how it works in the nfl - next man up gets paid. It’s not a big deal & for those following this whole thing knew exactly what was going to happen. The Cowboys have done a great job building a roster around him and have budgeted for this contract, we just need to get a little lucky in this draft and MM’s new coaching staff can do their thing & hopefully get that elusive 6th ring!
Its basically all in or fold.... and Vegas sucks

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Dak is destined to be the NFL's highest payed player, he'll also be obliged to prove he's the NFL's best performing QB. I wish him luck. Truth be told, he has considerable progress to make in terms of performing at an elite status. Nevertheless, I wish him all the luck in the world. It's actually a daunting task for anyone to live up to, especially for one who appears to be in denial of his limitations. He would be well-advised to stop listening to his agent, imho.

Last edited:

Swagger

Reaction score
So if we don't sign Dak and let him walk, do you actually think you wont be suffering? LOL

We could bring in a quarterback like Andy Dalton on peanuts, who would in my view pretty much replicate the production of Prescott in this offense. Or we draft a QB in the first for second round. Again, I'm confident that he could throw for 220-250 yards a game with one or two touchdowns which is all we need with Zeke in the backfield. We should primarily be a rushing based offense. That was how we achieved a 13-3 record in 2016. We lost our identity last season and...we saw the results.

People will just cain the suggestion of Andy Dalton without looking at it objectively. How did Ryan Tannehill get on last season in a decent offense when most thought he was trash?

Not every QB has the luxury of playing in a Dallas Cowboys offense.

Either way the long term would be far less painful that watch what will happen to the Dallas Cowboys over the 4 years with Prescott under centre being paid like a great quarterback.

Some of us already understand and are fully prepared for the team butchering this opportunity, other people will find out the hard way.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm not against billionaires. I believe billionaires have put themselves in position to make money. I'm on the side of players and billionaires. It doesn't have to be a ether or. I want everyone to get paid. The salary cap restrictions have proven to be a myth. When the Cowboys or any other team needs to sign someone they do it. We've seen them move money back. We've seen them restructure deals.

Ok, but I ask again...……...in a salary cap world, how does paying high salaries to players help the product on the field? If Dak gets 38 million as opposed to 34, that's 4 million that can be used somewhere else. You do that enough and you are talking about 20 million dollars and that's a lot of talent. That's another top 10 DE, which could be the difference between winning and losing.

The full 200 million is going to be spent. You just want guys to take a little less so that you can have more top end talent. Its a simple math problem.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
4-12 or 8-8 (for the most part) gets the same results so yeah I wouldn't hype that up either. Be happy just missing the playoffs though. Its the market rate because of exactly what I said to you. People too stupid to be like this player isn't worth it so expletive paying "market rate" let them get "market rate" elsewhere. Once somebody has the guts to do that and it works a time or two maybe more people will see saying market rate doesn't mean that's the correct move for average. Paying Bentley money for a Kia.

It is the correct move because you can’t get an equal replacement value. Prescott is coming into his prime and has done nothing but win football games since he’s entered the league.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I use to think Watson would get done after Dak but hell I don't even know what him anymore. Who knows how this Texans thing will play out.

Now there is a guy that holds the ball way too long. You almost have to run a play ground type offense with him. He pretty much just runs around making plays and then using his feet.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If Dak is destined to be the NFL's highest payed player, he'll also be obliged to prove he the NFL highest performing QB. Good luck with that. He has considerable progress to make in terms of performing at an elite status. I wish him all the good fortune in the world. It's a daunting task, to say the least.
Dak was criticized last year and he was on a what? 500k deal? At this point criticism and naysayers come with the territory. You either get a Super Bowl to shut them up or don't.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Utterly ridiculous. Dak hasn't earned the right to be the NFL's highest paid player - not by a long shot.

And I'm a Dak fan...
I don't understand whey people get so bent over about sports contracts. These players have agents who negotiate these deals based on the current market. To say Dak hasn't earned the right to be the NFL's highest paid player is ludicrous. He's earned whatever the hell his agent negotiates for him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Now there is a guy that holds the ball way too long. You almost have to run a play ground type offense with him. He pretty much just runs around making plays and then using his feet.
He does but boy is he fun to watch. I think he too just like Dak had sorry coaching and would love to see him with good coaching.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I'm too lazy to read 7 pages of comments, but trust I'm not the first to cite that just because a player can be considered the NFL's highest paid player does not mean that the contract automatically is not team friendly.

Does "highest paid player" mean... just for 2020?... in terms of total contract value?... in terms of base + bonus, or just base?

And again, there are a number of ways to structure a contract so that it is team friendly. I trust that Stephen has full control of the negotiations from the team's side, and there is reason to expect it will be a fair deal.

Aside... and again, probably something that's already been said, if not multiple times...

This circumstance signals to me that there is someone in free agency they want to go get, but need to get this deal done to allow for that to happen.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We could bring in a quarterback like Andy Dalton on peanuts, who would in my view pretty much replicate the production of Prescott in this offense. Or we draft a QB in the first for second round. Again, I'm confident that he could throw for 220-250 yards a game with one or two touchdowns which is all we need with Zeke in the backfield. We should primarily be a rushing based offense. That was how we achieved a 13-3 record in 2016. We lost our identity last season and...we saw the results.

People will just cain the suggestion of Andy Dalton without looking at it objectively. How did Ryan Tannehill get on last season in a decent offense when most thought he was trash?

Either way the long term would be far less painful that watch what will happen to the Dallas Cowboys over the 4 years with Prescott under centre being paid like a great quarterback.

Some of us already understand and are fully prepared for the team butchering this opportunity, other people will find out the hard way.

Ok, well that is laughable. Dalton is not better than Dak in his prime and betting some QB with the 17th pick could be dak is ridiculous. The upside of keeping dak and adding a REAL coach is the better move. By keeping Dak we not only continue to benefit from his upside, but we get to fill in the holes around Dak and become a contender. Your way has many pitfalls and doesnt offer any kind of solution.

Swagger

Reaction score
Yeah I was gonna say what makes you think this will only be 4 years?
Haha fair question - apologies I was ambiguous.

Well my point being that the window of opportunity will reopen once Prescott is no longer quarterback being paid $30+ million more than last season when the Cowboys finished 8-8.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Utterly ridiculous. Dak hasn't earned the right to be the NFL's highest paid player - not by a long shot.

And I'm a Dak fan...
This is just freakin' ridiculous.

This contract thing hasbeen in the news for almost 18 months now.

I am at the point of WHO CARES ANYMORE.?

The world is fighting a dangerous epidemic.

People are dying all over the World right now.

Stop reporting on a spoiled football player and his overly permissive owner.

It's just too sad.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ok, but I ask again...……...in a salary cap world, how does paying high salaries to players help the product on the field? If Dak gets 38 million as opposed to 34, that's 4 million that can be used somewhere else. You do that enough and you are talking about 20 million dollars and that's a lot of talent. That's another top 10 DE, which could be the difference between winning and losing.

The full 200 million is going to be spent. You just want guys to take a little less so that you can have more top end talent. Its a simple math problem.

Well this is my thing with that. I'm also a Dallas Maverick fan. I saw Dirk Nowitzki take pay cuts after pay cuts that should've been criminal. And for what? So they can sign Chandler freakin' Parsons who STOLE money? And that's in the NBA where you have even less money to spend around and the contracts are guaranteed.

And let's be honest about your scenario. If they need 4 million they can get 4 million by restructuring a contracts. If they need 12 or 16 million they can do the same. They can cut a guy if they need to.

If you need a top 10 DE you need to draft one. You aren't going to get it by free agency anyway because top 10 DE's aren't available. You know who's available? Jadaveon Clowney. That's the type of DE you can get and he's not a guy to push you over to the Super Bowl.

If you need talent draft better. What no one mentions is how these teams keep drafting poorly happen to also be the teams who have spent 35 million on a quarterback. Maybe if you drafted better you could filled a better team like the Seahawks seem to do?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Heck, we could have been in the SB in 2016 with Dak as a rookie had we had better coaching and a better defense. 2016 pretty much proves your theory wrong in itself.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Haha fair question - apologies I was ambiguous.

Well my point being that the window of opportunity will reopen once Prescott is no longer quarterback being paid $30+ million more than last season when the Cowboys finished 8-8.
Man I'm gonna be honest with you......Cowboys with Dak Prescott will probably be a least a 10-11 team win consistently. Maybe some 9 wins in there.....and he will once again get another contract this time for even more than he's about to get now. This path is a bout to be much longer than 4 years.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Andy Dalton? So Dak will lead us to 8-8 but Andy Dalton would lead us to what?